PDA

View Full Version : How to maintain Cycled Filters

bornlooser
04-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi all,
I have 4 sponge filters that i have managed to cycle with a lot of patience. I would like to know whether i need to keep feeding the filters with ammonia regularly and also do i need to keep aerating them? ...cant i simply drop them in a bucket full of water and use them when needed.Can the good bacteria be in an inert state without food (ammonia)?
thanks

lipadj46
04-14-2012, 11:02 AM
...cant i simply drop them in a bucket full of water and use them when needed.Can the good bacteria be in an inert state without food (ammonia)?
thanks

no you will lose your cycle. I keep some sponge filters running in a rubbermade bin that I add ammonia to every day.

joeymac
04-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Yes you need to keep feeding them, whether with household ammonia or by putting them in a tank with fish.

And if its a sponge filter then yes you need to keep the air flowing through them, that's how they work.

Eddie
04-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Agree with both responses.

Bill63SG
04-14-2012, 05:57 PM
You can freeze them also.Its not like a completely cycled sponge,but its not like brand new.Until your wife tells you to get the d@mn sponges out of the freezer.

LizStreithorst
04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I have tanken them out of the tank and let them dry slam out. A lot of the benificial bacteria dies, I'm sure. But a lot just goes dormant. I've used sponges that have sat dry for over a year. It's not as good as using a sponge from a tank full of fish, but they catch up with the bioload dang fast.

AFTICA
04-15-2012, 10:54 AM
...Until your wife tells you to get the d@mn sponges out of the freezer.

ROFLMAO!

And yes you need to feed (ammonia via bottle or fish) and aerate...

I have not myself frozen them or dried them out so I cannot speak to those methods of storage, they sound plausable... but can't say myself...

Cameronv
04-15-2012, 02:11 PM
You can freeze them also.Its not like a completely cycled sponge,but its not like brand new.Until your wife tells you to get the d@mn sponges out of the freezer.

+1 lol

Cold temperature doesn't act as a germicide (unless extreme temps) - it slows and can completely stop metabolic activity, and when placed back in the right environment it can start right back up. I should've thought about this solution a long time ago.. Thanks for the idea bill!

Bill63SG
04-15-2012, 02:58 PM
+1 lol

Cold temperature doesn't act as a germicide (unless extreme temps) - it slows and can completely stop metabolic activity, and when placed back in the right environment it can start right back up. I should've thought about this solution a long time ago.. Thanks for the idea bill!I read about it here years ago and have been reaping the credit.Another good idea I read here is if you need a cycled sponge quick and already have one going,take the old sponge and cut in half like a bagel,same to new and put pieces togehter.

Cameronv
04-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Thats a great idea too.

LizStreithorst
04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
That IS a good idea, Bill. Something that I had never thought of.

Bill63SG
04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
To quote the Godfather and Fredo,"I'm smart,I know things!"Thanks guys,it's the little pieces of knowledge that help in the long run.That frozen thing helped me alot when I shut down my 150.

eaglesfan3000
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I read about it here years ago and have been reaping the credit.Another good idea I read here is if you need a cycled sponge quick and already have one going,take the old sponge and cut in half like a bagel,same to new and put pieces togehter.

Good call I just froze one this evening. It's actually a HOB filter.

joeymac
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Freezing an established sponge is genius!! Lol I never thought of that. That's exactly why this forum is the best!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk