04-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Small Guys, $20 a pop
Available in a week or two...starting to get big

No shipping

May trade for an adult female red turquoise to add to the breeding project
German strain

stac545
04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
I want these sooo bad. No shipping and i live so far away. Im crushed.....

Stacy

rubinsteinnyc
04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
let;s see some parents' pix and the youngin' :)

Harry Marsh
04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Daddy is the better parent, so he takes care of them.
I have 3 or 4 males that breed with the same female. It's a shame there isn't another female around here.

One daddy:
http://s16.postimage.org/ibtbedqad/New_male.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/udop8izip/full/)

That is one male, currently

I'll add many pictures. I have some 3 inch babies in another tank

The males are straight line
The one female I have is a broken line (very broken)

Some videos/pics show them dark. They often get dark when breeding. But, usually they look like the above.
I like the piwow because they're almost 'candy' colored. Really bright. Rarely do they have fading colors

http://youtu.be/g1ohG7hzCOM

The males, here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ScVNonmP0&feature=relmfu

Harry Marsh
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Babies, as they look now. They're on brine shrimp

http://youtu.be/HDi0iIZTMA0

Harry Marsh
04-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Female, as of a few minutes ago. I just moved her to the community tank to rest a bit, before putting her with another male
http://s11.postimage.org/53hpor4kz/female.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/ix62dsx67/full/)

parrottbay
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Awesome.. I am in Jacksonville NC, you ever come this direction?

Harry Marsh
04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
My wife actually spent last weekend there with a friend.

We get over to Oak Island pretty often

parrottbay
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Not sure where that is, Ill have to look it up. we just moved here in Dec.

bearrock
04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I am interested an am in Greenville. If you are going out to Jacksonville I could meet you out there! Please let me know.

parrottbay
04-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I hope he does :) ;)

Harry Marsh
04-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Growing fast: to their own aquarium (eating brine shrimp in this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Sl5MxlKA

I figure two more weeks and they'll be nickel or larger size, off of brine shrimp
That's probably the safest time to start selling for local pickups

jbuck
04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Still no shipping on these guys? :)

bearrock
04-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Jacksonville Jacksonville Jacksonville Jacksonville..........Did that work?

Josef
04-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Is it posible for you to contact a local distributor that could help you pack for shipping. Perhaps some people in the NJ area could get together for a group buy. I know I would take about 12 from you.

Harry Marsh
04-18-2012, 08:24 PM
It's possible.

For a larger order, I might even look into it. I just don't have the time to ship 6 at a time.

But a large order could make it reasonable (with plenty of reading on my part as to how to ship them)

They're eating steady. Still eating brine shrimp, though. I want to move them to flake or golden pearls before I sell (preferably)

joeymac
04-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Piwowarski red turks are my favorite discus. Every time I see one I want to buy it immediately.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Harry Marsh
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Suppose I should read some primers on shipping. Anyone have a good source?
I hear they're easiest to ship when small.

Kordon bags or whatever? Someone have a link that would be educational?
I might consider it, for larger orders

(maybe try a test ship, first)

stac545
04-19-2012, 10:42 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94482-Shipping-live-fish.&highlight=fish+shipping

Here is a link for shipping

stac545
04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
This is from John_Nicholson here on simply

-john

Shipping Fish 101

Ok, before we get to deep into the art of shipping fish lets get a few facts established. First, it is not that hard to do. Second, the first few times you will panic a little but that is normal. Third, on any given day thousands of fish are in little plastic bags, inside of boxes, traveling around the globe. Forth, At least 95% of these fish will arrive alive. Fifth, fish can go a long time without eating and be fine. Lastly, the first few times you will panic, but that is normal….or at least as normal as a fish nut can be.

Basic Supplies:

- Quality plastic bags of a reasonable size.
- Quality styrofoam fish shipping box.
- Rubber bands
- Bottle of O2
- A one-gallon ice tea pitcher
- A good net.
- Heat pack if the weather is cool
- Address/Phone number of the buyer
- A 10-gallon jar of patience to be applied when dealing with the airline/shipping company.

One week prior to shipping follow these procedures:

- Get money upfront. No matter who you are selling to. If it is a check, cash it and wait 10 days for it to clear. If they make excuses and the money does not make it in time do not ship the fish.
- Make sure that the fish are in perfect health. If any question do not ship.
- Although you should have been culling the fry all along take this opportunity to go though them again. Slightly short gill plates can be easy to miss when the fish are small.
- If you have the tank space available separate the fish for the order plus a couple of extras.
- Depending on the size of the fry stop feeding then 24 to 72 hours prior to shipping. The longer they fast the better off they are. The larger that they are the longer I fast them.
- Make sure that you and the buyer are on the same page in concerns to color, quality, and size of fish.
- Make sure that you have your shipping arrangement setup in advance, including a cost quote, and the name of the airline/shipping rep that you talked to. When you go to ship the fish have all of that info with you so there will be no questions concerning cost. Trust me on this one. There is nothing worse then showing up at the airport to ship a box of fish and finding out that instead of the $70 bucks you expected they want to hit you up for about $282……Once again trust me on this one, it is not fun.
- Lastly get the money upfront. No exceptions.
- If you have any particular acclamation/QT procedures that you want the buyer to follow spelled them out now.

Shipping day procedures:

- If you think that you can bag the fish in one hour, give yourself two hours. It always seems to take longer then you expect.
- I normally use bags that are between 6 and 10 inches wide. I put them into a 1gallon ice tea pitcher and fill 1/3 of the bag with fresh, treated, aerated, warm water. I never use any of the tank water when bagging fish. The pitcher makes it much easier to get the fish in the bag.
- Although you have already looked over these fish several times take one more opportunity to check them. If you see any issues at all don’t ship that particular fish. This is why we had moved a couple of extras in the beginning.
- Once the fish are in the bag pull it out of the pitcher and squeeze the air out. Put your hose in the bag from your O2 cylinder and fill the bag with O2. Don’t get in a big hurry. I have busted bags before when I was trying to go to fast. I know that sounds a little stupid but when you are bagging 40 or so fish at 3:30 in the morning your mind can be just a little on the dull side.
- Twist the end of the bag close and fold it over. Use a rubber bag to keep the bag closed. Get it as tight as you can. I always triple bag my shipments. This keeps the bags in good shape and by inverting each bag it eliminates any corners that small fish might get caught in. When I say invert each bag what I am talking about is the rubber band end of the bag is always the first part to go into the new bag. It will catch a little air in the bottom of the new bag that you will need to squeeze out.
- Most shipping companies require you to have some sort of material in the box to soak up any water that leaks out. I normally just use some newspaper.
-If you are using a heat pack remember that they only work if there is O2 available. If you put one in a box and completely seal the box it will only work until all the available O2 in the box is gone. When the customer opens the box at the other end it will warm up again. I push a pencil though the top of the box and then tape the heat pack inside the lid so it is covering the hole. This will allow the pack to draw O2 for the entire trip. Also a heat pack can put out a lot of heat. You do not want it in direct contact with the fish bags. I normally put a piece of paper in between the two.
- Unless you are a known shipper all shipping companies are going to require a inspection of the box so do not tape it closed until they tell you to.
- Always make sure you have plenty of tape.
- You will need the name, address, and phone number of the buyer.
- Once the fish are shipped call the buyer and give them the air freight number and ask them to call you once they get the fish to verify that they arrived ok. Most buyers will wait until they are back home and the fish are in the tanks.
- Depending on the trip some fish will take as long as 24 hours before they bounce back but in most cases the fish should be up and swimming right away.

One Week (or so) after shipping:

- Call, email, or IM the buyer and ask about the condition of the fish. If a problem has developed it is best to find out now instead of hearing about it though the grapevine.

Harry Marsh
04-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Impressive amount of work! Bloody hell.

PS.

http://youtu.be/cvTIUHgkKyo

You can see the largest of the babies in my other tank is just starting to get color
I had just put that pair back together to lay eggs
And had just fed the smallest fry some brine shrimp

rubinsteinnyc
04-21-2012, 04:15 PM
any news? :)

sonflowerjoela
04-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Your fish are so beautiful!!! Wish I could get some. Don't have the setup right now. So what do you feed your fish?

parrottbay
04-22-2012, 10:39 AM
You decide you might be coming out this way or not? lol Jacksonville NC?

Harry Marsh
04-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Your fish are so beautiful!!! Wish I could get some. Don't have the setup right now. So what do you feed your fish?

A little of everything! Tetramin flakes are a staple because they're easy to cleanup
Occasionally use some beefheart flake from the sponors (harder to clean up)
And frozen bloodworms as a treat, or when breeding (easiest to cleanup)

You decide you might be coming out this way or not? lol Jacksonville NC?

I don't think this batch will last long enough from local sales for me to make it to Jacksonville :)
Local guys are pretty happy @ $20 and have no idea who 'alex piwowarski' is

...and should probably rest the female for a while
I'm still looking for another female and output might be helped a bit

Altum Nut
04-22-2012, 03:50 PM

If your posting fry for sale and are putting a breeders name on the heading...you should have an idea who the breeder is.
Just my thoughts...

...Ralph

Harry Marsh
04-22-2012, 04:25 PM

If your posting fry for sale and are putting a breeders name on the heading...you should have an idea who the breeder is.
Just my thoughts...

...Ralph

hm?

rubinsteinnyc
04-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Pontiac baron, did you get my PM?

Harry Marsh
04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Pontiac baron, did you get my PM?

Replied! (sorry for not responding sooner)

And as an update: I'm trying to hook up with someone to ship.
Not sure any will be left, but maybe for the future
Noone stepping up, yet.

Altum Nut
04-22-2012, 05:26 PM
hm?

Your using his name and have no clue who he is.

...Ralph

jbuck
04-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I believe you misunderstood, he said local people have no idea who "Alex P" is. As in the people who live in Pontiac Barron's community.

...Ralph

Harry Marsh
04-22-2012, 05:35 PM

...Ralph

Not what I said, I don't think (maybe I'm wrong) :confused:
I'm still confused.

I meant that the local guys who are buying the fish have no idea who Alex Piwowarski is (nor do they care, for $20)
The local pet store sells some pretty nasty stuff for $80/pop

:confused::confused:

Edit: Yea, thanks jbuck.

Altum Nut
04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Then my misunderstanding.;)
Sorry for inconveniencing your thread and good luck with your sales.

...Ralph

rubinsteinnyc
04-24-2012, 01:14 AM
sooo, how are they doing? :)

cwright0312
04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Just picked up 12 of these little guys. They made the 2 hour drive fine. Best stock I have ever seen. They are huge and great colors. All tanks spotless. If you want this color, go and pick up some from Harry. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for the fish Harry. Great to meet you and see your setup.

jbuck
04-28-2012, 04:35 PM
If only I was closer.... :(

rubinsteinnyc
04-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Just picked up 12 of these little guys. They made the 2 hour drive fine. Best stock I have ever seen. They are huge and great colors. All tanks spotless. If you want this color, go and pick up some from Harry. You will not be disappointed. Thanks for the fish Harry. Great to meet you and see your setup.

the parents are huge or the fry :) ?

parrottbay
04-28-2012, 07:36 PM
will they be ready by monday or next sunday bc I will be driving through and could pick up....

Harry Marsh
04-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Glad they're doing well, Craig. I want copious pictures in the future as they develop :)
It was nice to meet you!

Availability depends on you and your skills with fish.
I think they're big and healthy enough to take a good bit of torment

I'll add that I'm almost sold out and no more fry coming along (the next three batches have been eaten as wrigglers)
The remaining babies are going to a growout tank that I've got ready :)
If parrot takes some, I'm probably sold out

cwright0312
04-28-2012, 08:59 PM
The parents were huge. The fry are very good size for around 5 weeks old. I have some that were almost quarter size.

mikula fronts
04-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Really nice discus you have RT's are my favorite discus outside wilds

Little_kl
04-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Great looking by the way

Harry Marsh
04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I think I'm sold out, pending those coming this week

I have some larger 3-4" fish that will be available in a few months as 5" (or so) fish . These are from a small first spawn 4 months ago that I'm growing out

rubinsteinnyc
04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
pontiac_baron, please check your inbox :)

cwright0312
04-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Harry,
If the other two that you were going to seperate do breed, I want some of those as well.

parrottbay
05-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Never heard from u :( just passed charlotte lol o well maybe next time :)

Harry Marsh
05-06-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm trying to hold onto a few. Not many left anyway :)

Nephewjag
05-17-2012, 07:31 PM
I wish I had seen this before. I'm new here. I live a couple hours south from you and I would have loved to pick some up. Are you gonna have any more for sale soon? If so, could you please let me know. Im really interested.

Harry Marsh
05-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Earlier today, actually

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gduS-sjOgjM

cwright0312
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Is that the other pair that you were going to seperate when I was there or the same parents as the 12 I got? If that is the other pair, I want more when big enough to pick up.

Harry Marsh
05-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Is that the other pair that you were going to seperate when I was there or the same parents as the 12 I got? If that is the other pair, I want more when big enough to pick up.

Same pair as yours. How are those doing?

I think the other pair ended up being two males. I've given up on them. It seems every fish is fighting to breed with the single female that I've got

Iceman13579
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
The six I picked up from you are doing great. They eat like hogs. I'm running two auto feeders just to keep up with them. I'll keep you updated as they progress. Nice meeting you by the way.

Harry Marsh
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
The six I picked up from you are doing great. They eat like hogs. I'm running two auto feeders just to keep up with them. I'll keep you updated as they progress. Nice meeting you by the way.

Good to meet you too. And you're right: auto feeders are a great idea.
These suckers act like they're starving, 10 minutes after you feed them. I'll set up an autofeeder tonight as well

Harry Marsh
05-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Auto feeder set up for these little tigers.
I haven't had fish grow this fast!

I plan to grow these to adult. They're my second oldest batch.
With tail, they're 3" or so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqomMrJr3c

My next batch is doing well. I'm just starting to introduce BBS. No eaters yet, but hoping soon

JenTN
05-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Just had to say that I love these guys!

Harry Marsh
05-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Just had to say that I love these guys!

I'll trade you a dozen for that avatar. Maybe 20 :)
I'm not normally a blue person. But, good lord....that's incredible.

JenTN
05-19-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll trade you a dozen for that avatar. Maybe 20 :)
I'm not normally a blue person. But, good lord....that's incredible.

Thank you for the kind comments, but she's half of my breeding pair, and is definitely a keeper :-)

rubinsteinnyc
05-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Auto feeder set up for these little tigers.
I haven't had fish grow this fast!

I plan to grow these to adult. They're my second oldest batch.
With tail, they're 3" or so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqomMrJr3c

My next batch is doing well. I'm just starting to introduce BBS. No eaters yet, but hoping soon

how old are these youngings?

Harry Marsh
05-19-2012, 08:02 PM
45? days old? 50? I'd probably be able to figure it out by looking through my old postings

Harry Marsh
05-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Had a few people ask about this female.
She gets really dark when breeding, so I snapped a picture of an in between fry period (when she colors up)

She's a weird one. Not the 'straight line' you typically try to get with Alex Piwows
Pretty in her own right, though.
I'm curious what these will grow out to be (half like her, half like him?) (or spotted turks?)

http://s14.postimage.org/5mji178hd/weird_female.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/4k9binpnx/full/)
adult image hosting (http://postimage.org/)

circle
05-21-2012, 03:46 AM
absolutely stunning fish.

Harry Marsh
05-23-2012, 07:00 PM
I am going to order an Oxygen bottle to attempt some shipping

More details later

Any hints on where to order a bottle of Oxygen? (not possible to ship?)
Where to pick one up, or do I need to go to a welding shop or something of the sorts?

I want to do this properly, if I'm going to do it.

Brokenrack
05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Jst google gas supply Charlotte, NC. Look for one that also has medical oxygen.
Scott
Ps when you can ship I'm interested
sending you a pm.

spiffyfish
05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Any updated pics of the juvies?

Harry Marsh
05-23-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a mig welder, so I know of a gas supply store
I was wondering if there was something easier like paintball and small co2 tanks (but oxygen)
Lowes, home depot, etc. nothing coming to mind

Also looking at kordon breather bags

I will video the juvies tomorrow :)

xxbenjamminxx
05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
They make smaller 10lb bottles. I used to have one with my portable torches. Id check our the welding supply store seeing as it HAS to be an O2 bottle or no one will fill it. I believe they use the cga 520 fitting.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk

Carolina discus
05-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Harry,
You can get a small O2 cylinder at any welding supply supply shop...I think they cost about $60 or so...about $10-$20 to refill....you just bring the empty and walk out with a full one....
If you want a regulator, hose, etc that is propably $100-$150...

Eric

fredfry
05-24-2012, 12:20 AM
There is something you might want to check out. It is called "just oxygen"
It is a can of oxygen. Do a google search for just oxygen. It might work for you.

Fred

Harry Marsh
05-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Any updated pics of the juvies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsbjCREV0E

I will look for an 02 bottle this weekend, on time off
I saw the 'just oxygen' bottle. That's interesting. Might be a simple solution. Researching now. Thanks

Varma
05-25-2012, 10:58 PM
These are awsome. I am interested in Fry. Trying to look for perfect mates for my planted tank. Please let me know if you have some these avilable

Discusgeo2
05-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Harry I just get my small bottle of oxygen from the welding store. I put the regulator on it an adapted a air blow gun to fill my bags. No need to spend extra on medical grade, welding oxygen is good enough.

TURQ64
05-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Harry I just get my small bottle of oxygen from the welding store. I put the regulator on it an adapted a air blow gun to fill my bags. No need to spend extra on medical grade, welding oxygen is good enough.

+1
I've been using mine straight off my torch head (the oxygen blow lever, not the mixing valves) for 40 years..I believe Nicholson took a photo of me doing it when he was here back in April.) Never a problem..

Perryboat
05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Updates?is shipping available now?

Harry Marsh
05-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Update: Sold out (traded, sold or otherwise)

Bad news: none left from this hatch
Good news: 45 more juvies in another tank, eating brine shrimp in a healthy manner
Bad news: Those won't be available for a month or two
Good news: I've got a better patterned female that should be here wednesday

I'll make another thread in a week or two when the fry turn into juvies

stac545
05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Good news: I've got a better patterned female that should be here wednesday

Would this happen to be ExReefers?

Harry Marsh
05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Would this happen to be ExReefers?

Exactly. She'll be busy with all my males

This male raises young perfectly. Even if she's an egg eater, I think we'll double output
I have one other that is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQF7RehZztM
(video of the next batch, from a few minutes ago)

stac545
05-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Wow, Im sure you will be happy with her. She is a beautiful Piwow.
I wish you the best of luck with her (Im sure you wont need it) and hundreds of fry.

Stacy

jamiegt
05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Love your pics and video. Do you still have babies for sale?

Harry Marsh
05-31-2012, 11:39 AM
I may, soon. I'll have to count how many were in this batch: it was smaller than usual (some babies did not attach)
Dimes now. Even smaller batch of 15 are behind these (different male that isn't good at fertilization)
These will be quarters in a week or two. I don't normally sell until they're off live brine shrimp.

I've also debated putting these in the new discus contest, but haven't heard an update regarding that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvG6UxFcVFo

PM me for details in the future, if you'd like
I'll try to keep you informed

Kingdom Come Discus
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
I think the contest has begun.

vicdiscus
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Hey Harry

Those fish are amazing!

Duncan

pastry
06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Harry, as for looking for oxygen, check out Grainger. They're everywhere and have had to use them for work. If they don't have anything on their site (which I think they may have a smaller bottle) then give the local location in your area a call. If they're anything like the guys I have to deal with in Charleston then they'll make sure they find what you're looking for, even if they don't carry it. Worth a shot. Not sure if you'd need gas regulator or not but just tell them exactly what you're doing with it. I also know that some places say they have but then you end up having to rent it... do what you want but know that you can also buy it.