PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage

Trevor W
04-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Does anyone here use "tote" or stacking rubbermaid style containers for aging and storing water?

lipadj46
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
yes you can use the rubbermade totes, they make some pretty large ones people use as basement "ponds", brute garbage cans are also good.

Trevor W
04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Great thank you, I have used the garbage cans but have not used the totes. I am looking at the 54 Gal rubbermaid "roughneck" totes. Does anyone use this style? I am just curious about how it holds up to being full of water.
Thanks

lipadj46
04-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I've used that size roughneck for temporary fish holding tanks like when my tank busted a seam and then the glass broke on the cragslist tank lol! They don't specifically say food safe like the brute cans but I have not run into problems and people use them for sumps all the time. Rubbermade does make larger watering troughs you can get at tractor supply but they are not compact like the totes, studier though and can get really large if you want a pond.

Trevor W
04-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Great thank you!

no1woogie
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I had one of the 35 gal roughneck totes that split on me a couple months ago. I had only been using it for 3 or 4 months and was only filling it about 3/4. Luckily I didn't have a complete blow out but still made for a mess. I am using a couple 55 gal plastic barrels now that I can pick up from a local food company.

Trevor W
04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Thats exactly what I was leary of! Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else have an idea for a aging container thats not the shape of a barrel? I have used brute cans before and now I dont have the space so I'm wanting a rectangular shaped container that I could store under a tank rack or possibly use 2? Any and all ideas welcome.

CrazyAngels
04-17-2012, 01:49 AM
how about another aquarium, many people use spare aquariums, specially on a rack under your primary tank..

Trevor W
04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
I had also thought about that, however I would have to buy a spare tank and around here we don't have a petco so no $1 per gallon deals and the used market is insane. People seem to want what they paid for a tank 5 years ago whent hey bought it brand new. So I am just looking for something that would be on the cheaper side of things. I am also contemplating building a wood box similar to what Hans uses for a sump. Undecided as of yet hoping someone will have a genius idea that I have not thought of, but yes a spare tank would be ideal. Thank you for your input its much appreciated.