PDA

View Full Version : Free Chlorine added by Water Company

Poco
04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi All,

I just got off the phone with water company for my area and they have confirmed they only use "Free Chlorine" for water treatment. this is what I have found about free chlorine on the web.

"Chlorine in water may be present in two forms, free and combined. Free chlorine does the hard work of killing bacteria and oxidizing contaminants. When you add chlorine to water, you are actually adding free chlorine. When the free chlorine combines with contaminants, it becomes combined chlorine, or chloramines. In water, this form of chlorine has very little sanitizing ability, and no oxidizing ability. Total chlorine is just the sum of both combined chlorine and free chlorine."

I am starting fresh with Discus and have been reading a lot and building my knowledge on best practices.

My question is how should I treat the water, will Prime do the job?

Thanks

Lenin
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Use prime or safe, either one, one is liquid form

Poco
04-16-2012, 05:00 PM
thanks Lenin

jimg
04-16-2012, 05:16 PM
When the free chlorine combines with contaminants, it becomes combined chlorine, or chloramines. chloromines are what you get when you add ammonia with the chlorine. they add it because chlorine don't last long.

lipadj46
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
you can use any water conditioner you want including sodium thiosulfate. Or just age your water for 8 hours or so (with agitation)