PDA

View Full Version : Manzanita Wood and tannins

dghby
04-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi everyone, i am waiting for my order to be finalized and shipped from Kenny's April Shipment. 6 fish, all between 4-5 inches.
i have some manzanita wood that began soaking in just a tub of water to weigh it down a bit, then went into the tank. the wood has been under water for about
27 days now. i have noticed a furry growth on it lately, have taken it out a couple times and rinsed it off but it just seems to come back. so today i took it out
and took a scrub brush to it. ( yes, the brush was brand new never used) what i then noticed was how filthy dirty the water was in the tub.
So, knowing that one of the key ingredients to keeping Discus is Prestine water conditions i have a real concern with this.
I thought before i put it back in the tank, i would run this by the experts. the water in the tank seems fine( they seem fine) and my parameters are where they should be.
i am assuming from what i have read the past year and 1/2 leading up to this purchase that what i am seeing is the tannins from the wood coming out.
just really concerned about what to do next and looking for some guidance.

thanks, Tom

Lenin
04-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Don't worry, is normal, will go away with time and water changes, personally I like the look, and the fuzzy also will go away algae eaters love it also if you have any.

dghby
04-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Was not planning on any bottom dwellers this time, as it is my first true tank of Discus. just do not want this to be an issue.
should i pull the would out and rinse it off until it doesn't grow back?

Lenin
04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
It will just take time, you can do that, also if you want to get rid of tannis you can boild the wood to get them all out.

ExReefer
04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
I got my Manzanita wood, rinsed and wiped with a sponge under hot water, and put right in with my fish. The water will darken a bit with tannis between WC's, but with frequent WC's, it's not an issue. My bristlenose pleco cleans the fuzz off the wood. It took about a week to sink. Hope this helps.

shoveltrash
04-19-2012, 05:49 PM
my manzanita drives me NUTS with the furry/algae stuff, and it sheds black bits/debris :(. but then, I'm obsessive with cleaning the tank........it's kind of frustrating for me.
congrats on your order!!!! Kenny is fab :D

dghby
04-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks, well I have no problem with cleaning, so as long as it will not hurt them, back in it will go.

strawberryblonde
04-20-2012, 01:31 PM
The fuzzy bits and the dark debris bits that it sheds are totally normal. I leave my driftwood in the tank till it turns nearly black, then haul it out and pressure wash it to get all the dark ick off it, then back to the tank it goes for another couple of months.

The tannins will turn the water a yellow to brownish color if you aren't doing daily water changes, but that won't harm the discus at all...in fact, they'll probably like it. =)

dghby
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Toni, just wanted to make sure i would cause no danger. daily water changes for sure, i am really not having the discoloration from the tannins just the furry bits. i will just conitnue to pull it out ever once an a while until it stops growing back, thanks again