PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer

Josef
04-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Does anyone use UV Sterlizers with Discus tanks and do they work?

discuspaul
04-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I've been running a UV sterilizer 24/7 in my discus tank for well over a year. It helps with surface agitation, oxygenation, and water circulation throughout the tank, as well as assisting to maintain crystal water clarity. More importantly, it does away with all algae that gets dislodged to free-float in the water column with every tank wipedown when doing water changes.
As for nuking any harmful pathogens, I've no evidence of that, but my discus certainly have no health problems.

nabilbb
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
My Discus used to get each almost ones a month, them treat them with Metro powder, since i got UV that is running for a year now they never got each. i think it helps. I didn't see any difference in Algae control

Josef
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Yea - that's what I'm getting at...

As a previous Discus keeper - I grew out about 10 Discus. Had them for about two years. What I noticed is that some died off over time - I'm sure it was due to infections of some kind. I find discus to be very finicky most likely because of all the Line breeding and In breeding - as well as sterile environments at the fish farms. So I think they have very week immune systems. I will not do another discus tank without a UV Sterilizer. I was kind of hoping for more responses that would lead to a general consensus.

What I was basically looking for was responses that showed those using UV Sterilizers in their Discus tanks having little to no loses that are due to disease.

Josef
04-23-2012, 09:05 AM
wew - apparently not many Discus keepers here use a UV. I'm rather shocked at this since I bet many hobbyist here have lost tons of Discus.

David Rose
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Yes they work and I only have one on my tank, which is my "sun"/four season room.

Skip
04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
wew - apparently not many Discus keepers here use a UV. I'm rather shocked at this since I bet many hobbyist here have lost tons of Discus.

sure.. but MOST of the issues from Water Quality.. which can be fixed with water changes :)

jimg
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
I use a uv to treat the water as it enters my house which if you scoped as many times and things as I have you would too! my water comes from open watercourse.
uv in the tanks..... not worth it

gaboon
04-23-2012, 06:44 PM
sure.. but MOST of the issues from Water Quality.. which can be fixed with water changes :)

+1

I use uv for algae control and not seen any harmful effects.

Josef
04-23-2012, 08:17 PM
For those of you here who responded and have not seen my Poll in the General Discussion section - could you please voter in my Poll if you haven't already done so Thanks :)

yim11
04-23-2012, 08:21 PM
UV isn't going prevent or cure sick discus. Your water will. I bet as many hobbyist haven't lost tons of discus.

Josef
04-23-2012, 11:07 PM
UV isn't going prevent or cure sick discus. Your water will. I bet as many hobbyist haven't lost tons of discus.

Honestly, I don't even know how to respond to this...

I am not discussing water changes in this thread. As for the tons of Discus...why don't we just let the Poll reveal the experiences. You sound adversarial - do you know me?

In terms of me saying tons of Discus - it's just my hunch - it's not law, it's not scientific - there is no need to take offense:)

This is a great site, I don't come here to argue.

Skip
04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
i am not sure, what part you don't understand of what yim11 wrote.. and jim is far from adversarial.. and i do know him personally.. he is very knowledgeable.. and he can give you guidance, IF you chose to hear..

what he is trying to tell you.. is that hobbyist do not lose more discus then they have survive..

but if you look at the majority of the questionnaires.. you will notice.. the lack of water changes.. and/OR uncycled filters.. UV won't fix that issue..

DerekFF
04-23-2012, 11:47 PM
What I was basically looking for was responses that showed those using UV Sterilizers in their Discus tanks having little to no loses that are due to disease.

UV can help maintain a tank. But due to the slow water turn over they must be run all the time. If you dont QT well, and introduce new infected fish into your tank....a UV will have a very minimal effect at that point since it only gets some floating pathogens with the slow turn over. Anything spread by poo or that hides in the substrate will surely find a new host. IMO they are best used in small QT tank where they can maximumly sterilize the water of pathogens. In terms of larger show tanks i dont think they are effective at anything other than algae control

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Josef
04-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Gents - I appreciate the fact that you are supplying your opinions on this thread and not on the Poll. I will say this in response...

These are your opinions and that's cool with me - we are all entitled to them but in reality - I think the numbers can tell a better story. Say for instance if someone said - I've kept Discus for ten yours, no UV, and I only lost 3 Discus to disease. Or if someone said, I've kept Discus 2 years no UV and I have lost no Discus to disease. Or, what about if someone said, since I started using a UV two years strong now I have not lost a single fish. Or, maybe someone said, I have had a UV going six years and I lost 4 Discus to disease....

Personally - I think those make far stronger arguments for or against then opinions. That is what I would like to see the Poll do for me. Far as this thread goes I guess opinions are just fine.

As far as flow rates go - a little research will show that there are differrent types of UV models available and they may all have differrent flow rates - it all depends on how strong the UV Bulb is - so it's really not accurate to generalize UVs because they come in differernt flavors and some are more powerful than others. Agreed - a cheap low wattage UV may be only good for algea. But a top brand UV will most assuredly kill most pathogens in the water column and in a timely matter.

again - I am not frequenting this site to argue. I'm really here to just collect the data for my own personal interest. Hopefully folks can respect that. Argueing points - well, please find anothe poster for that, sorry:)

Josef
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Sometimes it takes someone to look in from the outside to show someone who is inside something they can't see - mostly because being inside has blinded the eyes from what would otherwise be plain to see.

So what am I talking about here....

Well let me first say that I have been keeping fish for quite some time - put it this way - my dad raised me while he kept pigeons and fish. So as a boy I kept newts, frogs, finches, and then as a man I just kept fish like my dad.

So what I'm saying is that I'm not a newbie - take that for what its worth.

I have kept SA, CA, community, Marine and African Cichlids. I have fellowshipped with lots of hobbyist through out years. Sometimes attend the auctions of various forums and sometimes participate in the threads of various forums pertaining to fish. I am quite sure I am more than likely just like most of the hobbyist here in terms of time in the hobby and experiences - so I think we are mostly on an even playing field between us.

Now to the controversial remark I want to make.

A casual observation will show that - there a plenty folks that entered the hobby to just keep Discus and nothing else - just like there are Reefers that have only done Reefs and nothing else in fish keeping - that being said...

There is a sort of Religious aura in the Discus keeping side of the World - the religion is what I would like to call the "Water Change Gospel". Everything Discus - moves and revolves around the "Water Change". If anyone comes even close to speaking against it - even if they are NOT speaking against it - be on the lookout for the lashing of your life LOL

I understand trust me I do - it's called culture. We all have culture in one way or the other, religious culture, national culture, ethnic culture and so on and so on. Now let me be clear - I totally agree and practice in my own fish keeping water changes - for any fish I have kept at least once a week or twice a week - any fish type any aquarium I've kept. When I grew out some Discus a short time ago - I tried to make as many water changes as possible but I did not do them daily - perhaps every two days was the best I could do.

But for heaven's sake brethren - you can't just answer every Discus topic with "Water Chances" - it sounds cultic! lol Ok I've exaggerated a bit but you get the picture :)

The Discus keeping culture is about the only one that I have seen through the years that swears by the Water Change. It's almost like 90% of all problems are solved by the Water Change. This may even be rightly so...but no other side of fish keeping perpetuates the Water Change more than Discus keepers. Of course other hobbyist keeping other fish recommend water changes of course they do - the water change is the most basic aspect of fish husbandry introduced in every book and magazine pertaining to fish. I have no problems with water changes. I have problems with the extreme culture I find in the die hards. I personally think the extremely water change culture that has developed over time in the Discus hobby actually originated in the growout methods recommended by the best breeders. And may I say that those breeders were and are right - nothing like daily water changes to raise some great Discus pups! But it seems like that practice has basically been perpetuated to all Discus keeping. This is where I beg to differ. The fact that some hobbyist here most quickly began to shun the use of a UV in a Discus tank and the fact that a hobbyist or two began to insinuate that I was somehow trying to convey that a UV can replace water changes - well, I think on those two points alone my argument as I have made it here is valid.

I am one who happens to believe that my utilization of UVs - (and I did not always use them on every tank) but on the tanks I used the UVs, disease was always less prevalent. Take that for what its worth if it can help someone that's great if not that's ok too :)

I made the remark about water changes because I am getting the impression by some that they are shunning UV usage - I think that is wrong and I think they are wrong - just my opinion :)

Skip
04-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I am one who happens to believe that my utilization of UVs - (and I did not always use them on every tank) but on the tanks I used the UVs, disease was always less prevalent. Take that for what its worth if it can't help someone that's great if not that's ok too :)

I made the remark about water changes because I am getting the inpression by some that they are shunning UV usage - I think that is wrong and I think they are wrong - just my opinion :)

so i can't have an opinion? and if its different then yours i am wrong? LOL.. :)

i hate being wrong :(

boscobear
04-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I use a UV product called, "Submariner" , a 13 watt combination pump - UV system, intended for use up to 150gallons. It is so true that water changes do most of what is good for our water. I added this UV system, and my water , which I change 70% twice a week, has become like ultra clear. I never used a UV product before, and did not want to cut the water lines to my filter to add one. This unit just sits inside the tank, and does some wonderful stuff.

Larry Bugg
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Sorry, but your poll and the data collected from it will have ZERO meaning. I'm not saying this to be mean or because my opinion differs from yours but your poll has absolutely no scientific backing. There are way too many variables in all the poll takers situations and you are collecting absolutely none of that data. I'm not sure how you think you can make any kind of final judgement from the poll?? Whether they used a UV or didn't us a UV.............what was their w/c routine, what was the stocking level of their tanks, what did they feed, what temp was their tank at, what was the source of thier stock, did they QT, did they medicate, what other fish did they keep, and it goes on and on.

Josef
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Warlock - but of course you can have an opinion! I just think it's wrong! LOL

Bugman - I already stated that it was unscientific and made no secret that the Poll is for me. It's data that I want to use solely for myself. Now if someone wants to use it for their own decision making then by all means. So the Poll may have Zero meaning for you but NOT for me :)

Skip
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Warlock - but of course you can have an opinion! I just think it's wrong! LOL

Wars have started for less ;)

Josef
04-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Wars have started for less ;)

LOL!

Not that serious man! lol

Hey we all have opinions - it's all good. Seriously though - I really think that Discus Keepers should run UVs so that we can really find out if Discus benefit from them - because my gut tells me that they do.

Skip
04-24-2012, 11:42 AM
LOL!

Not that serious man! lol

Hey we all have opinions - it's all good. Seriously though - I really think that Discus Keepers should run UVs so that we can really find out if Discus benefit from them - because my gut tells me that they do.

do you sell them? :)

Josef
04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
do you sell them? :)

LOL No!

I'm not one of those guys lurking in forums trying to make a sale. lol

I just think that if I had a UV sterilizer in my last Discus tank - results would have been different. And don't get me wrong I only lost 2 fish out of 10 but still, I feel that a UV would have saved them - only reason I say this is because I've had great results with Africans as well as Marine fish in the past using a UV. And at this point I will without question use a UV when I setup my 90 gallon show.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 12:10 PM
UV can help maintain a tank. But due to the slow water turn over they must be run all the time. If you dont QT well, and introduce new infected fish into your tank....a UV will have a very minimal effect at that point since it only gets some floating pathogens with the slow turn over. Anything spread by poo or that hides in the substrate will surely find a new host.

These are facts not opinions

Gents - I appreciate the fact that you are supplying your opinions on this thread and not on the Poll. I will say this in response...

These are your opinions and that's cool with me - we are all entitled to them but in reality - I think the numbers can tell a better story. Say for instance if someone said - I've kept Discus for ten yours, no UV, and I only lost 3 Discus to disease. Or if someone said, I've kept Discus 2 years no UV and I have lost no Discus to disease. Or, what about if someone said, since I started using a UV two years strong now I have not lost a single fish. Or, maybe someone said, I have had a UV going six years and I lost 4 Discus to disease.....

The problem with your search for #'s lies in the fact that in order to truely know why your fish died it must be scoped (unless its from obvious trauma or ich) and i would venture to guess than less than 10% of the people on this forum have had a dead fish scoped. So the info youre going to get is still going to be 90% opinions because there are so few who truely know why their fish died.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
LOL No!

I'm not one of those guys lurking in forums trying to make a sale. lol

I just think that if I had a UV sterilizer in my last Discus tank - results would have been different. And don't get me wrong I only lost 2 fish out of 10 but still, I feel that a UV would have saved them - only reason I say this is because I've had great results with Africans as well as Marine fish in the past using a UV.

Why would a UV have saved them? So you know 100% for sure what was wrong? And what were your "great results" with africans and marine fish? Sounds like opinion to me :sly:

Skip
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
maybe its just luck for all of us :)

Josef
04-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Well here's my opinion.

I think that a UV will help destroy pathogens in my aquarium. The manufacturers of UV sterilizers state that the Ultraviolet Light will destroy microogranisms that get exposed to the light. I for one believe them and I have no reason as of yet to not believe them.

As for why I even bothered to bring up the topic on SD - well, maybe it was divine inspiration or maybe it's because we are in 2012 and the world might end in a few months....lol

Or maybe I was just curious...yea, I'll go with that one.

Josef
04-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh boy! This guy really goes deep into the science behind UV.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

I'm not affiliated with this site. It was my first Bing Hit and it was a good one so I just stayed reading it. Figured I'd share it here.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Well here's my opinion.

I think that a UV will help destroy pathogens in my aquarium. The manufacturers of UV sterilizers state that the Ultraviolet Light will destroy microogranisms that get exposed to the light. I for one believe them and I have no reason as of yet to not believe them.

As for why I even bothered to bring up the topic on SD - well, maybe it was divine inspiration or maybe it's because we are in 2012 and the world might end in a few months....lol

Or maybe I was just curious...yea, I'll go with that one.

I also believe that UV kills pathogens in the water. Its just a little silly to ask for #'s of fish life/death ratios for UV and not UV. There are so many variables that the information really is useless. If it gives you peace of mind that people who use UV have a lower mortality rate, thats great. Im willing to bet that the people who have UV and have better survivability rates did a few more things right than wrong.
1. They bought quality and healthy discus to start with, most likely that eliminates 75% of the united states fish stores
2. They quarantine properly. Not a big deal if they were quality to start since they should be clean and healthy from the get go and this process makes any other fish you have safer from space invaders.
3. They actually watch their fish. Again id say a huge portion of people here dont really WATCH their fish they just look at them....theres a difference. If you dont understand what i just said then youre a looker not a watcher.
4. Maintenance is key and im guilty as any other. I let the water go because life gets busy and it shows pretty quickly with discus.

Im not romping on the parade here but your question is just so open ended and has so many variables that (although already stated not to be scientific in nature) i just dont see what you could get out of the question

Josef
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Im not romping on the parade here but your question is just so open ended and has so many variables that (although already stated not to be scientific in nature) i just dont see what you could get out of the question

I could get a type of general consensus albeit vague but I think it still has some weight to it - the results of the Poll that is plus experiences. Especially since I don't believe anyone on SD may have even attempted this type of study within the Forum members that is.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't believe anyone on SD may have even attempted this type of study within the Forum members that is.

Thats because the UV lights are very limited on what they can do and the things i listed in my last post are 10x more important than a UV light. So it sounds to you like you keep getting opinions here, but what youre getting are facts and truths about a whole bunch of things that need to happen before people UV. If you do qt well, buy good healthy stock, keep a watchful eye on your fish....there lies only 1 purpose left for a UV light.....algae control

Josef
04-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Thats because the UV lights are very limited on what they can do and the things i listed in my last post are 10x more important than a UV light. So it sounds to you like you keep getting opinions here, but what youre getting are facts and truths about a whole bunch of things that need to happen before people UV. If you do qt well, buy good healthy stock, keep a watchful eye on your fish....there lies only 1 purpose left for a UV light.....algae control

When I ran multiple tanks I was my fish's worst enemy. I would do something with one tank and then put my hands in another tank. Wonder why sometimes a condition in one tank would magically appear in another LOL

I can laugh about it now but trust me I didn't laugh back then - cross contamination. I think there is a purpose for UV in a Discus Tank. Facts or no facts my brother I still stand behind what I believe you haven't changed anything and I doubt you will. and the Polling for me is still worthwhile. Just not for you fellow human lol

Edit: And let's not forget that people are feeding black worms, blood worms and beefheart - all posible carriers of harmful microbes.

Trier20
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Ok well hate to chime in now. I run a uv on my 90g with 30g sump. Had some problems before and none after. I also started doing daily WC's and paying more attention to them. Increased number of feedings etc. Many will say yes it helps and many will say it doesn't. If you want one go buy one! I run a coral life 24w on mine. Seemed to have the best reviews. If you think it will help you buy it! :) my 2 cents

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zoz2s2
-Brandon

Josef
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Ok well hate to chime in now. I run a uv on my 90g with 30g sump. Had some problems before and none after. I also started doing daily WC's and paying more attention to them. Increased number of feedings etc. Many will say yes it helps and many will say it doesn't. If you want one go buy one! I run a coral life 24w on mine. Seemed to have the best reviews. If you think it will help you buy it! :) my 2 cents

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?zoz2s2
-Brandon

Absolutely agree with you. I will buy one - it wont be my first - I think I've had about three in my fish keeping. But I still want to pursue the Polling.

Oh, to clarify - I am not speaking of freezedried worms - they are sterile.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 05:39 PM
I think there is a purpose for UV in a Discus Tank. Facts or no facts my brother I still stand behind what I believe you haven't changed anything and I doubt you will.

Edit: And let's not forget that people are feeding black worms, blood worms and beefheart - all posible carriers of harmful microbes.

Their use is not in contention here. Just that youre doing a poll (looking for people with experience using UV's and if they are beneficial) but not being scientific about it or basing it off anything really. This i think is where the problem lies in these 2 UV threads and its that its such an open question to interpretation and random input that there isnt much solid info to take away from it. Im pro UV despite how it sounds. I DO think they have a place in the aquarium ans i DO think they kill pathogens in the water. No one here is trying to tell you otherwise. What we are trying to say is that its abilities are limited and there are so many other factors for aquarium health that to say that a UV bulb makes your fish die less often is an unfair statement. For those people who got UV lights during an infestation of issues were medications used before you bought the bulb? More frequent water changes? Temperature changes? Salinity (for you saltines out there) change? Change of foods? Any of these things could be done in the days leading up to the purchase of a UV but the UV gets the credit because its after its purchase the improvements are seen when really maybe it was any other combo of factors. To sum it up i see what you are asking and understand why its hard to get a straight to the point answer that youre looking for. The reason being is that SD is slightly dogmatic, and most people have problems with polls/surveys done in a non-controlled or unscientific fashion. Maybe its just the vagueness of the question. That people want to know the questions that i just asked above or maybe they just want picture proof of UV fried stuff i dont know. Anyways my last post on this subject is that im pro UV. Ive lost fish in tanks with UV because they came sick or bad QT and everything gets infected no matter how hard the UV tries. And yes worms carry diseases depending on how theyre prepared

Josef
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Their use is not in contention here. Just that youre doing a poll (looking for people with experience using UV's and if they are beneficial) but not being scientific about it or basing it off anything really. This i think is where the problem lies in these 2 UV threads and its that its such an open question to interpretation and random input that there isnt much solid info to take away from it. Im pro UV despite how it sounds. I DO think they have a place in the aquarium ans i DO think they kill pathogens in the water. No one here is trying to tell you otherwise. What we are trying to say is that its abilities are limited and there are so many other factors for aquarium health that to say that a UV bulb makes your fish die less often is an unfair statement. For those people who got UV lights during an infestation of issues were medications used before you bought the bulb? More frequent water changes? Temperature changes? Salinity (for you saltines out there) change? Change of foods? Any of these things could be done in the days leading up to the purchase of a UV but the UV gets the credit because its after its purchase the improvements are seen when really maybe it was any other combo of factors. To sum it up i see what you are asking and understand why its hard to get a straight to the point answer that youre looking for. The reason being is that SD is slightly dogmatic, and most people have problems with polls/surveys done in a non-controlled or unscientific fashion. Maybe its just the vagueness of the question. That people want to know the questions that i just asked above or maybe they just want picture proof of UV fried stuff i dont know. Anyways my last post on this subject is that im pro UV. Ive lost fish in tanks with UV because they came sick or bad QT and everything gets infected no matter how hard the UV tries. And yes worms carry diseases depending on how theyre prepared

I hear you - I hope I'm doing a service to someone here - cause I think that the culture in Discus keeping leads hobbyist to think that all they need to do to keep healthy and happy Discus is predominantly left up to relentless water changes. And I think the hobbyist can do more than that - in my case, I'm arguing and polling for the recognition of UV utilization in the Discus aquarium. Of course there are much more things to do but I am not presenting that in this topic. HTH in understanding my intentions. As for the Polling - really, it's to satisfy my own personal curiosity - and I'm ok with it being unscientfic - I'm sure there has to be many other unscientific polls in SD.

Josef
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I wasn't going to say this but heck with it - I'm gonna say it!

Domestic Discus are a bunch of Weak Fish due to inbreeding and line breeding to get those awesome patterns and colors you guys like! That's why they need such special care! Not only do they need crystal clean water but they need everything else that can help them including UVs!

Yea I said it. lol

But it's the truth!

yim11
04-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Folks, don't feed this troll any longer please.

Josef
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Folks, don't feed this troll any longer please.

I sent this getleman a PM. Hopefiully he can appreciate where I'm coming from. I understand that last post comes off as rude but I'm being honest.

Skip
04-25-2012, 02:58 PM
I wasn't going to say this but heck with it - I'm gonna say it!

Domestic Discus are a bunch of Weak Fish due to inbreeding and line breeding to get those awesome patterns and colors you guys like! That's why they need such special care! Not only do they need crystal clean water but they need everything else that can help them including UVs!

Yea I said it. lol

But it's the truth!

good grief........... FINALLY!!! you spit it out.......... you should have said that from that start

carry on

Josef
04-25-2012, 02:59 PM
OK look here's what I mean...

If a guy is looking at Marine fish such as Tangs and Angels - they are so colorful and you just want to see them in your livingroom aquarium...and the guy has 2 years of fish keeping or none - I would tell that guy don't even thinnk about it, the time, financial resources, equipment, skill, experience required to keep those fish alive and well....well, I would tell him you may not be up to that - save your money. and that is what I would tell someone about Domestic strain Discus. The only exception I would sneak in to someone who has been keeping fish for a while is to start out with those $100 to $150 adults that are already colored up and perhaps you'll do fine with them.

As for the UV I would say to them get one too better safe than sorry.

As for me. I have had a change of heart. I will not get Discus. I have a show tank for our apartment that I am going to set up and I don't feel its wise to drop the bills and time for such a project. Just to be clear - I've had Discus before and did ok with them in terms of husbandry and growing them out. Heck, I even managed to spawn some and grow some fry but I did poorly with that project - I have no worries telling truth even failures. Still - I would not bother with them at this point. I've had a change of heart. Needless to say I do not feel the same about Wild Discus - I think Wilds are hobbyist best shot to start with IMHO.

So I will get some Red Severums and be happy with a fish that can be ok with normal recomended husbandry.

and I don't think I'm a troll but hey to each his own :)

Warlock - I like your style - you have a sense of humor - hold on to that! Cheers mate.

Vee
04-26-2012, 10:58 AM
I installed a 35W Deep Blue UV sterilizer 9 months ago. I change 75% of the water in my 45 gallon tank every other day. Here's what I found the UV does:

1. clears water so that it's crystal clear
2. eliminated hole in the head disease - I had a very severe case and put down most of the fish I owned, then installed UV, and cleared up in 2 weeks.

What it didn't do:

1. prevent swim bladder disease
2. worms
3. prevent the occasion bacterial infection on the fins

Josef
04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I installed a 35W Deep Blue UV sterilizer 9 months ago. I change 75% of the water in my 45 gallon tank every other day. Here's what I found the UV does:

2. eliminated hole in the head disease - I had a very severe case and put down most of the fish I owned, then installed UV, and cleared up in 2 weeks.

What it didn't do:

2. worms

That was an awesome response. Scientific or not - it was your observiation and it's worth something. Especially if persons are not going to bother reading tons of materil on UVs till their eyes pop out - something like that gives them a little more to work with then just guessing.

Thanks for your response.

DerekFF
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM

What it didn't do:

2. worms

Pretty good response with use on sick fish. Looking back at your posts, youre sure the meds you used didnt cure the HITH? Maybe meds+UV did them in? Once a fish has HITH UV alone wont cure the fish but may help prevent any spread to others. A little misleading leaving out the fact that you used a few different medications

Josef
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Pretty good response with use on sick fish. Looking back at your posts, youre sure the meds you used didnt cure the HITH? Maybe meds+UV did them in? Once a fish has HITH UV alone wont cure the fish but may help prevent any spread to others. A little misleading leaving out the fact that you used a few different medications

I for one mentioned in this thread or another thread that everything you can throw on Domestic Discus is worth it - they are so prone to problems that I would use everything in my arsenal for their care, including as I have been championing in this thread UVs.

Vee
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Derek,

I didn't mean to mislead you or others. Yes, I did use metro with raised temperatures for a 14 day treatment. I even took a fish out of the water, dried his head and dabbed iodine. the holes got so big I think I saw bone. It was very distressing. I waited about 2 months before i gave up, put down the worse afflicted, put all the fish in the main tank that had plants and assorted small cheap(er) fish and stuck the massive UV as I mentioned. I had nothing to lose at that point. My fish are all domestic fish although the Alenquer looks very wild and in fact the most resistant to any diseases that affect the others so far. I also massively filter my water with a 150 gallon cannister and a 150 aquackear, and double sponge fil

Vee
04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I have 4 discus left, one of which is the size if a cd. The other small fish are 3 albino plecos, 5 tetras, 1 Betta, and 3 cories.

Hogman
04-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Pathogens in a Discus tank. 1. They are already in your water source. 2. You pick your nose, and/or other things, and put your hands in the tank. Bad maintenance habits with equipment or anything else that goes in the tanks. I know bugs. I save my money from the added maintenance costs of running a UV and apply to my water bill. Only 30 years experience with Discus, aquariums, and a liscensed water/wastewater operator. Just my .02 cents

Josef
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Pathogens in a Discus tank. 1. They are already in your water source. 2. You pick your nose, and/or other things, and put your hands in the tank. Bad maintenance habits with equipment or anything else that goes in the tanks. I know bugs. I save my money from the added maintenance costs of running a UV and apply to my water bill. Only 30 years experience with Discus, aquariums, and a liscensed water/wastewater operator. Just my .02 cents

I must say that this is a rather interesting comment...

By your own hands you admit that Pathogens can come from anywhere and everywhere...

All the more why I would run a UV in an aquarium that houses what in my opinion are weakened fish. Clarification - weeakened - as in domestic strains.

DerekFF
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Why do you think domestic discus have weak immune systems?

Josef
04-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Why do you think domestic discus have weak immune systems?

Good question I have an answer for that....

I order to get those remarkle patterns and colors - Discus must be line bred and or inbred time and time again. Throughout the hobby it is an established thought these breeding programs weaken fish genetically. Take the wild Blue Ram or Wild Discus - they are far more hardy then their domestic counter parts.

Now don't get me wrong - I love those domestic strains just as much as you do but it comes at a great price and sacrifice to the hobbyist. If you bought twelve juveniles you are more than likely not going to be able to grow all of them to full size and you are more than likely not going to be able to keep all of them alive. And even after a year when they have grown - one false move and you can retire your Discus in a few days. This is especially the case for the hundrends of thousands of first timers as well as semi seasoned hobbyist - they will most likely suffer these outcomes. Yes, after a while and lots of money later - most will somewhat master Discus if they stick to it - like anything else.

and alst I'm saying is that perhaps a UV may well save some fish.

warblad79
04-28-2012, 12:54 AM
Domestic are used to clean water and compare to wild.

Josef
04-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Domestic are used to clean water and compare to wild.

Agreed. If anything you're statement is going right along with what I'm saying.