PDA

View Full Version : Don't want canister

zchauvin
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Ive been allowed to get a 60 High since its all the space I have but Id love to go the sump route. Whats the price I should expect for a reef ready 60H. I saw a stand/tank combo at petsmart for 250, but its not drilled. Perhaps buy that and drill myself? Any input would be great, don't really mind the canisters but id rather sump.

DerekFF
04-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Reef ready? This is simply discus man! Id never drill a big tank like that myself. Id commit suicide if i cracked it. They make them with overflows you just need to poke around some more

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

TNT77
04-24-2012, 12:08 AM
They do make hob overflows I used one on a 90g I had in FL.

Cosgrovb
04-24-2012, 12:21 AM
It's is very easy to drill. No problem. Seems more intimidating that it is. I've drilled a bunch.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Yeah theyre a tad pricey though. Id rather a tank with overflow built in the first place

TNT77
04-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Yeah theyre a tad pricey though. Id rather a tank with overflow built in the first place

Not really I paid $100 for the whole new sump setup including pump. You just have to look around.

zchauvin
04-24-2012, 07:00 AM
That's what I had meant, I just thought the tanks with overflows were considered "reef ready". That's what Google considers them as lol, I'm not even sure where to start or how to drill them though. As for a hob overflow, any idea where I could find that for 100$??!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

joanstone
04-24-2012, 07:18 AM
HOB overflows aren't really that expensive. I've used them in the past on non drilled tanks and still have some kicking around. Drilling a tank is nerve wracking, but not hard as long as you have a tank without tempered glass. Glassholes.com is a great site/resource if you want to look into drilling a tank yourself. I'd probably go with RR (reef ready) if I were doing it. I've done all three options and that would probably be my first choice, second would be drilling.

zchauvin
04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I'll probably buy a regular tank for -100$ and drill it.

DerekFF
04-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I'll probably buy a regular tank for -100$ and drill it.

A lot of tanks in the size range youre looking for havs tempered bottoms. Cant drill that. Seriously get one with an overflow already built in, comes with warranty and no hassles.

zchauvin
04-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Alright, what do they run? I can't really find any online.

zchauvin
05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Just if anyone is wondering or wants to use the idea for yourself here is what I did.

I took my old 29g and de rimmed it. Measured out a pane of glass to have cut and placed it about 8 inches from the left wall 2" above the bottom and siliconed it in. Using some plastic strips I made places for my eggcrate to sit by. Just siliconed those also and cut eggcrate to fit. I put it quite low so that I could maximize the amount of bioballs. Now that it is up and running I have about 8" of water in the tank leaving roughly half of the area of bio balls on left out of water. On top of the eggcrate I placed a sealable storage bucket from Walmart and drilled about 25-30 1/4 inch holes in the bottom with a one inch hole at top for my flex tubing to go into. In here contains all of my filter flosses. This way when I need to change them I just pop off the lid and walla. Under the first baffle I placed a blue cut to fit filter pad and then stacked bags of media along the middle along with two sponge filters, heater and pump all the way on left.

In my case, I have a 950gph pump so it was constantly gurgling and flushing in my stand pipe so I did this to adjust the flow without putting back pressure on my pump..

I set the whole sump up using flex tubing as much as possible, dialed in the amount of flow I needed and it is absolutely silent. Got a good night sleep even without doors on my stand yet. Also I placed a 1" house insulating foam under the entire sump and 0 problems :)