PDA

View Full Version : Newbie QT Question

Kal-El
04-26-2012, 12:58 PM
I did not QT my juvenile Discus as they went straight to my main tank and are doing just fine so far. The main tank is BB with no other fish. I have a 10 gallon eventually switching over to a 20 gallon that I will pickup for free from a family member to use for QT. My question is do you guys med any new Discus with Metro, PraziPro, or QuickCure during the 3-4 weeks of QT? I was thinking of doing 1 week metro with temp set at 88 degree, then another week of PraziPro, and one week of QuickCure with daily water change of 50% age tap water. the Forth week when just be daily water change 50% and temp set at 86 degree. Is this a good way to approach QT?

Or just do nothing but daily water change and just observe the new Discus and treat them as they show signs of sickness.

Skip
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Or just do nothing but daily water change and just observe the new Discus and treat them as they show signs of sickness.

+1

nabilbb
04-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't use Metro except if there is a deseas, I don't use it for no reason,
I suggest that you do WC as much as you can and observe. don't use metro if you didn't see anything

ZX10R
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
+1

+2

Kal-El
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks guys, this is good to know when I get new Discus.

PAR23
04-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I did not QT my juvenile Discus as they went straight to my main tank and are doing just fine so far. The main tank is BB with no other fish. I have a 10 gallon eventually switching over to a 20 gallon that I will pickup for free from a family member to use for QT. My question is do you guys med any new Discus with Metro, PraziPro, or QuickCure during the 3-4 weeks of QT? I was thinking of doing 1 week metro with temp set at 88 degree, then another week of PraziPro, and one week of QuickCure with daily water change of 50% age tap water. the Forth week when just be daily water change 50% and temp set at 86 degree. Is this a good way to approach QT?

I think you will get answers from both ends of the spectrum. Some will empirically treat while others do not. It all depends on their own comfort zone.

Skip
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I think you will get answers from both ends of the spectrum. Some will empirically treat while others do not. It all depends on their own comfort zone.

i have one not doing well.. he is skinny compared to his sibling and growing well.. i am thinking about dumping him into a 10g and then hitting him with type of MED QT program.. and see if he survives... its either that.. or shove him in the garbage disposal.. :)

dewormer, External and internal treatment..

PAR23
04-27-2012, 01:19 PM
i have one not doing well.. he is skinny compared to his sibling and growing well.. i am thinking about dumping him into a 10g and then hitting him with type of MED QT program.. and see if he survives... its either that.. or shove him in the garbage disposal.. :)

dewormer, External and internal treatment..

I agree with your plan. Internal worming first. Might as well learn from a potential cull. My first PP treatment was on some culls that I have.