PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation Soon

Kal-El
04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
I'm going on Vacation soon for 1 week for the first time since i started doing discus, and wanted to know what everyone with Discus do in this situation. I have two 5-6" adult and four 2-3" juvenile discus. My main tank has a sponge and canister filter running while the 4 juvenile are in a 10 gallon with sponge filer. Do you guys have someone come and do all the water change and feeding or just set auto-feeder and leave. When back do a 90% water change? Any suggestion would help.

Trier20
04-27-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm going on vacation soon too. I'm contemplating making my fiance do all of it while i'm gone or just say screw it and not risk her messing things up and killing my fish. Love her but last time i had her add water to a tank she killed all my chiclids which wasn't bad cuz then i got discus lol :) But from what i've read is alot of people will set an auto feeder for the week or have somebody you trust feed them untill you get back. Then do a BIG water change and back to the normal schedule.

Kal-El
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Would cleaning the tank very good before my 1 week trip be enough to keep the fish a live for the week? No feeding to prevent buildup of feces in the tank while I'm gone. I know Discus can go 2 weeks without eating. I really don't want to do this but I cannot trust anyone to clean and feed my fish as they might screw up the process. They might use the same hose on all my tanks as I have one sick fish left in a hospital tank who's recovering from Hex. When I return I'll feed them small portion until they produce their first feces. What do you guys think? Should I go this route or have someone feed and clean my tank?

jcsdad
04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
i am in the same situation, except that i have nobody to change the water or feed the fish while i am out of town. will most likely let them slim down for the week that i am gone. with no water change i read that it is better to stop feeding them so there will be less waste in the water. please correct me if this is wrong...would not want to come home to dead fish.

thanks

strawberryblonde
04-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Yup yup, definitely do a large water change just before leaving, stop feeding 24 hours before leaving and don't have anyone feed them while you're gone. Discus can go a lot longer than a week without food with no adverse affects.

The only time this advice doesn't apply is when you have juvies. They can't go for an entire week without food and daily water changes (risk of stunting them).

Kal-El
04-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Great, that's what i'll do then. Cross my finger that when i return my 5-6" Snakeskin is still up in the front glass greeting me for food.

Skip
04-30-2012, 02:57 PM
eddie had his fish go 38 days.. no food/wc.. they were just fine when he got back

Kal-El
04-30-2012, 03:43 PM
eddie had his fish go 38 days.. no food/wc.. they were just fine when he got back

Wow, i didn't know Discus can go that long without food. How big were they and I but they were skinny when he returned?

Skip
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow, i didn't know Discus can go that long without food. How big were they and I but they were skinny when he returned?

they were adults.. its in the homestead section..

Chicago Discus
04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Dont forget you have some young fish............Josie

Kal-El
04-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Dont forget you have some young fish............Josie

Josie, I didn't forget about the young Tefe i got from you, BTW they are eating and doing very well. Fat little guys... Anyway, I'm going to take them to a family member's place so they can keep an eye on them. They'll feed and water change every other day at minimum until I return. It's the two adults discus that will remain at my place.

Chicago Discus
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Josie, I didn't forget about the young Tefe i got from you, BTW they are eating and doing very well. Fat little guys... Anyway, I'm going to take them to a family member's place so they can keep an eye on them. They'll feed and water change every other day at minimum until I return. It's the two adults discus that will remain at my place.

Ok cool I was wondering :)