PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fish hiding, please HELP!

farzadkavari
04-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Hello everyone. My Discus fish that has been in my tank for 2 weeks now have been kinda of shy (Jumpy/scared) and hiding and not eating well for past 2 days. They were doing fine just before that.. I check my water parameter for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all at 0, PH level is consistent at 6.4. If all these parameter are good, should I be looking to do a water change??

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

The fish are hiding, not really interested in eating. Black Peppering more on the red fish. Darting and a bit scared of light in the tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating, a lil clamped fins. hiding.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

90 gallon, 8 baby discus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

I have yet to do one. The fish have been in there for 2 weeks only. Water parameters in great shape. See below.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __85___

- ph __6.4___

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _0___

- well water _no.___

- municipal water _no.___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
Nope.

Eddie
04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
If you can copy and paste this into a post and answer the questions in detail, we might get a better understanding of whats going on.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

farzadkavari
04-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Ok thanks Eddie. I just updated my question.

Eddie
04-29-2012, 02:28 PM
How are they hiding? Do you have things in the tank? Is it barebottom?

tbird22771
04-29-2012, 03:39 PM
What size baby discus?

zimmjeff
04-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Did I read this right that you have not done a water change in 2 weeks?

farzadkavari
04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Did I read this right that you have not done a water change in 2 weeks?

Yes I have not yet. I am planning to do one today. Please read the water parameters above. Its near to perfect water condition.

farzadkavari
04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
2.5 inchers

farzadkavari
04-29-2012, 07:42 PM
How are they hiding? Do you have things in the tank? Is it barebottom?

No i Have regular gravel with plenty of plants and hiding places.

Trier20
04-29-2012, 08:03 PM
It's important to do a water change daily To remove food poop and other debris in your tank. Discus absorb minerals in the water so they need lots of fresh clean water daily. Also daily wiping of the sides and back of the tank to remove the slime coat shedding.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wlk52p
-Brandon

DiscusDrew
04-29-2012, 09:37 PM
I recommend reading up on discus period, the reason most of us are perfectionists is because our discus are as well. Water changes are your big issue that I can see, its time to establish a routine water change regimen, given there are not a lot of fish and you have a lot of water I would say as a bear minimum you need to be doing 50% water changes every other day. You'll find that most of us do them daily. You have purchased the king of the aquarium, they expect to be treated as such ;)