PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow and Possibly using a powerhead

schomin
04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
I've heard many people say that discus like almost no flow. I've also seen many people on here, after searching around, saying that they're discus don't mind more flow and even seem to enjoy it. My question is would it be worth it to get a power head to increase flow more in my tank? I have a 55 gal and my outlet for my filter is currently right at the top to ripple the water for O2 but I thought it would be good to get a flow going lower down as well more evenly distributing the water and evening out temps too.

Thanks
Andrew

Bill63SG
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Where's your intake?Is it down low?You could also add an airstone.Might be easier to control.

schomin
04-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Where's your intake?Is it down low?You could also add an airstone.Might be easier to control.

The tank is actually drilled out the bottom so the intake is right at the bottom next to the outtake. I have used an air stone in the past but after doing O2 tests with a Red Sea O2 test kit I have seemly made no difference from just rippling the surface of the water using the outtake. Using a different method to ripple the water or get O2 in (such as air stome) and then using the outtake to cause flow through the center of the tank is an option but this still, I would think, causes the same amount of flow levels through the tank.

Bill63SG
04-30-2012, 07:56 PM
I was looking at it as causing flow from bottom to top,not necessarily to add O2.

schomin
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I was looking at it as causing flow from bottom to top,not necessarily to add O2.

Ahhh ok. That makes sense. I just don't know if that would cause enough flow. If it did id probably have to get a bigger air stone and a better air pump to drive it.

Harry Marsh
04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I use 1 powerhead in my 55's

and 2 powerheads in my 75's
Bare bottom

THe powerheads keep them spotless, as waste is mixed up for the filters

I like it that way
Fish don't seem to mind (unless breeding, I will shut off)

schomin
04-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I use 1 powerhead in my 55's

and 2 powerheads in my 75's
Bare bottom

THe powerheads keep them spotless, as waste is mixed up for the filters

I like it that way
Fish don't seem to mind (unless breeding, I will shut off)

How many gph do you run on the 55?

schomin
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I've been looking at the Hydor adjustable power heads and was thinking it would be good to be able to Control flow amount. What GTH range should I be looking at for a 55 gallon?