PDA

View Full Version : Serious problem tank very acidic

Chris b 1986
05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Hi guys and gals having some major problems my ph in my tank is at 5 I previously thought it was a bit higher but bought a more accurate test. I currently have a sand base and 2 pieces of bogwood which have quite a lot of algae grown on them which I have left on because I thought it looked nice. It is a 240 litre tank with ten discus in it I currently have no catfish or bottom feeders because they have died because of this problem any ideas how to raise the ph

Thanks in advance chris

GoggleEye
05-01-2012, 08:42 AM
Number 1 you have a 240 Litre Aquarium = 63.4 Gallons

What is the diameter of your Discus? Just the body not the fins.

Should have for Discus: For full grown Discus

First Discus 20 Gallons of water, Each Discus after that = 10 gallons each.
Never keep less than 7 Discus in aquarium = 90 Gallons = 340.68 Litres
Never put Cat fish or bottom feeders with Discus. They will attach theselves to the sides of the Discus and harm the Discus. The only fish you should ever consider putting with Discus is a school Minimum of 6 Tetras Only.

Your aquarium is to small for the amount of Discus you have unless they are 1 to 1 1/2 inch Juvies.

I have some questions I would like for you to answer.

What type of filter do you have on your aquarium?
What size of power head? Litres per hour? I need to figure out your aqaurium water filter rate?
How often do you do a 25 percent water change. At least once per week with Discus every 3 to 4 days.
what is the Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate Levels? Should be Amonia 0, Nitirite 0, Nitrate 0 - 20 PPM with Discus never ever over 20 PPM Nitrate
How are you testing the PH?
What brand of kit are you using to test the PH? Tetra, API?
What is the GH and KH?
What is your water source? Tap, R/O Please explain.
Is the PH the same in the aquarium as your water source?
You mentioned you have Bogwood in your aquarium.
What is the dimensions of the Bogwood?
How long has the Bogwood been in the aquarium?

Do you or have you ever used Acids to lower the PH? PH Down or PH UP?

In order to help you out with your issue need some answers to figure out what is going on. Will be glad to help you out. I just want you to be aware keeping that many discus in that small of aquarium you are playing with fire your Discus will suffer be stressed and Die. Sorry to burst your bubble. Sell the Discus or get a larger aquarium.

Skip
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi guys and gals having some major problems my ph in my tank is at 5 I previously thought it was a bit higher but bought a more accurate test. I currently have a sand base and 2 pieces of bogwood which have quite a lot of algae grown on them which I have left on because I thought it looked nice. It is a 240 litre tank with ten discus in it I currently have no catfish or bottom feeders because they have died because of this problem any ideas how to raise the ph

Thanks in advance chris

first thing first..

test your ph out of the tap or water source you use for water changes..

2nd.. how often to you water change and what percentage?

don't worry about the size tank.. 60gallons is just fine.. but you did not state your stocking levels of fish.

Second Hand Pat
05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Skip, he did mention there are 10 discus in the tank but no mention of dither fish.

Skip
05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Skip, he did mention there are 10 discus in the tank but no mention of dither fish.

LOL! yep.. i FINALLY SAW.. my A.D.D. was kicking in big time.. lol

Second Hand Pat
05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
LOL! yep.. i FINALLY SAW.. my A.D.D. was kicking in big time.. lol

A little less coffee might help.

GoggleEye
05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Not trying to start an argument. 60 Gallons of water is not enough for 10 Discus Period

Skip
05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Not trying to start an argument. 60 Gallons of water is not enough for 10 Discus Period

ANY Size discus or adults?

not starting argument.. your vague statement will have exceptions, like juvies would be fine in 60g.. exclamation point Smiley Icon