PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Basics: Sponge Filters and Filtration in general

DiscusDrew
05-03-2012, 12:01 AM
So Ive raised discus for a while now, doing them mostly in BB tanks but Ive always just run basic bio-wheel filters on my tanks. Rarely use carbon, only to remove medications usually, so they are just stuffed full of filter media. That said I see a lot of people recommending the use of sponge filters and honestly Im not even sure how they work. So could someone give me a run down on them and how they work as well as when to use them?

Do I use them in combination with something thats going to move more water like a bio-wheel filter? Or maybe with a canister filter instead? Or is it possible with how regularly Im doing water changes (50% daily) that all I need to run in my tanks is the appropriate sponge filter or filters (plural)? Id really appreciate any and all the information I can gather on what you all recommend and what you use in your own successful tanks. Keep in mind Im moving towards setting up specific grow out tanks, breeder tanks, and then eventually some show tanks for the grow outs.

Eddie
05-03-2012, 05:04 AM
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/sponge_filtration.html

Disgirl
05-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Learn something new everyday here Eddie! What a great idea, in the info, to cut sponges in the aqua clears into halfs or thirds so as to have multiple sponges seeded and ready to go if needed. Plan to do this to all mine.
Barb

shoveltrash
05-03-2012, 08:19 AM
great article! I too love the idea of being able to cut the sponges, to have instant seeded media :)

DiscusDrew
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I found that right before I wrote this post, that said, it only addresses spongue filtration and the positives. I REALLY like the idea of sponge filtration in my tanks. Does that move enough water or should I still be using some other alterior mode of mechanical filtration as in HOB or Canister?

Eddie
05-03-2012, 02:09 PM
So could someone give me a run down on them and how they work as well as when to use them?

Covered that pretty good

shoveltrash
05-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I have 2hydro pro sponge filters in my 65g, one in my 40g, - no other filtration.

DiscusDrew
05-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Finally... Thank you for the direct answer, I truly appreciate it. The article you posted covers all pros to sponge filtration but makes no comparison or says anything about if it should be used as your SOLE method of filtration. It would be great to get more feedback from others on what they feel on this issue and what they use on their tanks. Im considering moving everything to use only sponge filtration and would really appreciate the input. Thanks everyone!!

Bill63SG
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM
75gal and down,only sponges.Others on here I know go 100gal+.

DiscusDrew
05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Looks like Im going to be converting all of my tanks! And the cost is so reasonable in general that I dont see a downside, the beauty of simplicity.

DonMD
05-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Drew, A lot of hobbyists use both sponge filters and an HOB filter (hang on back) such as the aquaclear. The advantage of the HOB is that it ripples the surface, assisting in a gas exchange between the water column and the air. Also, it provides a little more circulation that just sponge filters, IMO. Then, if your fish are successful in spawning, you can turn off the HOB filter when the fry go free swimming so as not to suck them up, and still have the sponge filters.

I suggest you search the past posts on this forum, you'll find HOURS of reading on this topic. Good luck.

Moon
05-04-2012, 06:01 PM
I've been using sponge filters for past 20 years in all my tanks. At the beginning it was the Tetra Billi filters and then hydro sponges. Recently I converted all of my tanks to Hamburg Matten filters. I don't see the need for HOB's because the tanks are cleaned daily. Sponge filters are the most economical method of filtration when you have multiple tanks. I have 20 tanks.