PDA

View Full Version : Green

Teshi
05-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I've been looking for a green background for my 55g tank. I really don't care to paint the back of my tank green. I'm not totally sure this is the way I want it to stay forever.

But doing a google search for a green background only shows up images or a glitter type thing that isn't really what I'm shooting for.

Any suggestions?

Eddie
05-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I've been looking for a green background for my 55g tank. I really don't care to paint the back of my tank green. I'm not totally sure this is the way I want it to stay forever.

But doing a google search for a green background only shows up images or a glitter type thing that isn't really what I'm shooting for.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, you can just use cardboard and paint it the color you want. Its not as clean looking as painting it. The easy fix is to paint it and in the future, just buy more tanks if you want another color....thats what I do. LOL Otherwise you can actually scrape the paint off but its a PITA.

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I perfer paint is light blue background are looking good on discus. my suggest you can paint light green... Do not get any dark colors. It will affect to discus to get darker colors.

Teshi
05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
The reason I'm looking at green is because I'd seen a green background tank with a BB and a few pieces of DW and some weighted plants in it. It looked so pretty for a BB tank. The bottom of the tank had a speckled whitish/tan spray paint on the bottom. The discus just POPPED out in this tank. Wish I'd taken a few pics but didn't have my camera.

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
That is a good idea.. and sounds perfect..

TURQ64
05-05-2012, 01:18 PM
My larger displays that are painted, I did with latex enamel..Goes on funny like at first on glass, dries fast, and after 3 or 4 coats, it's great. took me less than five minutes with little effort and a razor blade to lift, not scrape it off..peeled like a person with a sunburn..easy. Lasts years

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 01:33 PM
My larger displays that are painted, I did with latex enamel..Goes on funny like at first on glass, dries fast, and after 3 or 4 coats, it's great. took me less than five minutes with little effort and a razor blade to lift, not scrape it off..peeled like a person with a sunburn..easy. Lasts years

you have told about that.. That was so perfect! I did do that many time and looking really nice. That worth it.

shoveltrash
05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Do not get any dark colors. It will affect to discus to get darker colors.I don't agree, unless you have Discus that may pepper. I changed to a black background & love it! talk about color *popping* :D

I like the idea of painting cardboard......and I think a green would be beautiful! do post pics when you get this done.

Disgirl
05-05-2012, 05:37 PM
I painted the back of my angelfish growout tank green and I like it. Looks great with wood and live plants. I have just gotten new angels to grow out in it so took out most of the plants and wood to make cleaning easier. Here is a pic of it, kind of bare but you get the picture of a green tank.
Barb

Teshi
05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Oh wow Barb, that is very pretty, do you remember the name of the color?

Disgirl
05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
It is Valspar Satin Tropical Foliage, got it at either WalMart or Lowe's, just a few mo. ago. I even like the name!
Barb

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 10:10 PM
I painted the back of my angelfish growout tank green and I like it. Looks great with wood and live plants. I have just gotten new angels to grow out in it so took out most of the plants and wood to make cleaning easier. Here is a pic of it, kind of bare but you get the picture of a green tank.
Barb

I am so glad that you like it.. That is perfect choice! I am sure discus would like it.

vicdiscus
05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't agree, unless you have Discus that may pepper. I changed to a black background & love it! talk about color *popping* :D

I like the idea of painting cardboard......and I think a green would be beautiful! do post pics when you get this done.

I want to tell you something .. my friend has black back ground his tank and his discus were getting darker colors . He liked my discus because they show bright colors and nice. so He had Red turk, Blue Dimaond, cobalt, others They were getting darker colors.
So he took out his tank and he removed the black background, he painted light green background same as colors Disgirl's new green back ground. he was soooooo happy his discus changed to bright colors he was very satisfaction.

mrblah00
05-06-2012, 12:58 AM
I went to a sign shop and got the vinal that they print on. It comes in quite a few colors and seems to hold up to the water if you get it wet.

Eddie
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
I want to tell you something .. my friend has black back ground his tank and his discus were getting darker colors . He liked my discus because they show bright colors and nice. so He had Red turk, Blue Dimaond, cobalt, others They were getting darker colors.
So he took out his tank and he removed the black background, he painted light green background same as colors Disgirl's new green back ground. he was soooooo happy his discus changed to bright colors he was very satisfaction.

A dark or black background won't necessarily cause the fish to look dark. A lot has to do with the bottom of the tank, like light sand or light colored bottom. Many MANY people have dark backgrounds and the fish are bright and colorful.