PDA

View Full Version : Glass lid or open top??

xschug3
05-05-2012, 05:34 PM
How many people have a lid on their tank? I have a Fluval Osaka that for some dumb reason wasn't designed to have a glass cover over it. I'm considering having a glass lid made for it so that I don't have to worry about discus being spooked and jumping out or foreign crap ending up in the tank.

Is it imperative to have a lid for discus? No lid also increases water evaporation dramatically too.

jimg
05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
no doubt you need a cover. glass is what I use but anything that will stop them from jumping will be fine. they will jump too especially the nicest one you have! glass is better for controlling moisture in the room. i bring home any thick glass I find and just cut it to whatever size I need.

Bill63SG
05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Also for controlling temp in tank.

xschug3
05-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Ok thanks guys. I will get in touch with someone to cut me some glass to fit. That'll be my next focus before I get the fish. Thanks

DonMD
05-05-2012, 07:33 PM
There's a glass shop near my home that will cut glass to my dimensions, and they also have peel and tape handles that you can put on top to help lifting and placing the glass tops when you need to access the tank. Not too expensive, either.

discus daddy
05-05-2012, 09:17 PM
apart from controlling temp. it also helps to not to fall any dust particles,insects or any unavoidable things into tank.

ZX10R
05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
After loosing a ray recently because she jumped out on me a lid for sure!!!!!

JenTN
05-05-2012, 09:47 PM
apart from controlling temp. it also helps to not to fall any dust particles,insects or any unavoidable things into tank.

Or cat hair:p

xschug3
05-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Glass lid it is! thanks everyone

3dees
05-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess I'm living on the edge. I have a lot of wood in my wild tank that sticks out above the rim so it's open top. two years and I have only lost one lemon tetra to carpet surfing. don't know but maybe it all the wood that keeps them from jumping, but I do get a lot of evapotation. temps are never a problem.

Harry Marsh
05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
No tops on any of mine

Fill two inches below and no problems

Maybe I am asking for it...

frinklinduds
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
just lost a fire red from hans because it jumped out of my rimless tank, i have built a screen from materials purchased from home depot that sits on top of my tank and is held down by my marine land led light fixture....i didn't want to listen and learned to hard way! DISCUS JUMP!

PAR23
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Better safe than sorry. I highly recommend a lid.

walt3
05-06-2012, 08:56 PM
my tank is about 2/3 covered with light fixtures. so far so good.

Cameronv
05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
glass lid for me, I usually leave it half open which isn't very much room for a fish to jump out. It came with my tank. I thought about building a screen but the glass looks classy and so far its worked out so I think I'll stay with it.

xschug3
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't want to take the risk, I'll have a glass lid cut to fit. Thanks for all the input

Griggsy
05-13-2012, 10:13 PM
For sure a lid! Esp if you have kids, or jumpers!

BobDaniel
09-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Or cat hair:p

We definately have cat hair here. Our cat Jimi is a longhair and it seems to float off his body!!

bornlooser
09-07-2012, 04:30 AM
I use Styrofoam to cover the tops,helps maintain temps.. too.

korbi_doc
09-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Quote: "I use Styrofoam to cover the tops,helps maintain temps.. too"

I take it you don't use lights on your tanks? Lol....I did think 'bout styro on top as well, using it for the backgrounds on most tanks...really want to have lighting tho, they are just for my own comfort, lol......

I lost my best silver pigeon to "jump"...nice big fat guy, broke my heart, again; seems it's always ones best fish.......now I cover all tanks, & know even that can fail with the tiniest space...
In lieu of glass covers which I prefer, using the white plastic lighting covers from HD or Lowes & tie solid plastic sheets for evaporation to them..seems to work cuz both can be cut to fit most size tanks with spacing for filters, hoses, etc.....(my new 100g tanks from Glass Cages have super glass lids & 2+" rims..love'm) JME

Dottie

Elliots
09-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Glass of course. My tank has 4 pieces of glass with some type of vinyl hinge so I only open half the top to put stuff in the tank. Do not go for plastic, it may be affected by the heat from the lights.

fishaddiction
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Nice thread.i have had my tank open for 2 years now and only thing that has jumped out twice is a stupid peacock eel.didn't buy anymore.I DO NOT have my discuss yet.and with there beauty and price i don't think i could take losing one if it can be avoided.i will probably go to glass again.would i have to add a air stone to the tank.

DiscusBR
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I asked the guy who built my tank to include a center glass bar, so that it could support six glass pieces, which cover the tank completely:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/DiscusBR/Nov2011/brace003.jpg

When feeding, I can take out only one of these pieces. Or 4 of them when doing WCs. Or all of them when doing major maintainance.

Besides the already mentioned reasons (preventing jumpers, diminishing evaporation, facilitating temperature control, etc), I also like glass lids because discus often splash water during feeding, which can be a pain in the $&*@.

:)

tonytheboss1
10-07-2012, 01:15 AM
:bandana: LID +++

lipadj46
10-07-2012, 07:04 AM
I had my tank open topped for a while as the glass sheets I used kept breaking (should have bought the thicker glass). I lost 2 of my best stendkers and then saved a cobalt when it jumped out during dinner. I went out next day and bought a full hood. This particular hood has no gap for the fish to escape, it was expensive though as I bought it from a LFS.

jimg
10-07-2012, 07:53 AM
always lost the nicest fish from jumping even with small open ares at the back

AndLaw134
10-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Glass lids are the way to go. I remember a few years back going down into the basement to feed the fish and not being able to "find" one of my 5" discus. The lid was on and I was very confused even went up start and asked the family if anyone had seen it. Like they took it for a walk with the dog or something.

It jumped. And did it perfectly as I had a gap in my lid of about 1" for heaters, filters hoses and stuff. Over the years I have lost 4 to their desire to go over to the dark side. Always the best ones too.

Lids are a must, keep fish in the bad things out, and help with evaporation and maintaining temps. I like the glass it's cheap and easy to clean

Brent1972
10-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I use 10mm twin wall polycarbonate like this http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/clear-acrylic-sheeting/twin-wall-polycarbonate?gclid=COWS1YvH77ICFUPHtAodv30AuA

It keeps moisture and heat in .

Elliots
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Do you still have spaces fish can jump out? that is why God invented Saran Wrap