PDA

View Full Version : Work 12hrs a day can I keep discus.5am to 5pm.

oldfar
05-08-2012, 07:32 PM
I think 18yrs ago I had discus very little to pick from back then.A book by Bernd Degen was my bible great pictures in that book.Translated from german in 1995.I had a breeding pair of blue Turks in a 125 tank had no time to rear the fry .But it was great .Tank was planted with java moss and java fern and few water changes Bernd only recommend 20 to 30 percent a week.Unlike here.There is so much to pick from now I plan on getting back into the hobby again.But there is no way I can feed young 4 or 5 times a day maybe 3 or the large water changes every day.Should I give up on this pursuit .I just got a 75 gal tank I am almost ready to order. But maybe not.You guys let me know what you think.

DiscusDrew
05-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I would say if your going to do it then buy larger discus that will be far less needy for their feeding regimen and even water change regimen to some extent. Get enough that even if they start pairing off and spawning that nature will take its course and you wont need to raise the fry, theres no way to raise fry on that schedule unless you plan to be up all night anyway. JMO but I would say that discus are possible but I would avoid juvies.

oldfar
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks man I was thinking of the larger maybe 4or 5 inch,I could do awater change when I got home. Would auto feeder maybe help.

jimg
05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
I think 18yrs ago I had discus very little to pick from back then.A book by Bernd Degen was my bible great pictures in that book.Translated from german in 1995.I had a breeding pair of blue Turks in a 125 tank had no time to rear the fry .But it was great .Tank was planted with java moss and java fern and few water changes Bernd only recommend 20 to 30 percent a week.Unlike here.There is so much to pick from now I plan on getting back into the hobby again.But there is no way I can feed young 4 or 5 times a day maybe 3 or the large water changes every day.Should I give up on this pursuit .I just got a 75 gal tank I am almost ready to order. But maybe not.You guys let me know what you think.ime I have raised many discus feeding 3x a day no reason to force them to grow fast. wc's it depends on your water,feeding stocking etc. I found that changing water 75%+ a day will grow them faster and less health problems. larger discus 2X a week 40%+ changes with the occasional wipe down larger change does me fine. small 2"+- size discus if I can't change the water at least every other day, I won't have them. imo get 4" at least

DiscusDrew
05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
if your in the 4-5 inch range ideally a 3 time a day feeding would be appropriate but honestly you can get away with two but obviously they wont grow as quickly. I have a demanding schedule as well I just happen to sacrifice sleep for my fish haha. Sounds like the general consensus is the same though, larger fish, do an auto-feeder if you want an ideal feeding schedule, and if at all possible I would say it is still ideal to set up a water aging system and do nightly water changes. My aging/water change system only cost me around 175 bucks overall including the utility pump but it also means that I can do a 50% WC on my 90 gal in about 20 minutes or so. Not too bad really so if you can give up that much time every night then that should be more than adequate.

Eddie
05-09-2012, 04:35 AM
ime I have raised many discus feeding 3x a day no reason to force them to grow fast. wc's it depends on your water,feeding stocking etc. I found that changing water 75%+ a day will grow them faster and less health problems. larger discus 2X a week 40%+ changes with the occasional wipe down larger change does me fine. small 2"+- size discus if I can't change the water at least every other day, I won't have them. imo get 4" at least

+1

PAR23
05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
ime I have raised many discus feeding 3x a day no reason to force them to grow fast. wc's it depends on your water,feeding stocking etc. I found that changing water 75%+ a day will grow them faster and less health problems. larger discus 2X a week 40%+ changes with the occasional wipe down larger change does me fine. small 2"+- size discus if I can't change the water at least every other day, I won't have them. imo get 4" at least

Agree with Jim.....Start with sub adults or adults

ExReefer
05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Agree with everyone's comments. I'm gone from home for 11-12 hrs. a day as well. I want to raise a group of my own Piwowarski fry, but I'm really starting to doubt my ability to do so. I just can't see myself changing water on fry tanks twice a day and I have no idea how to feed live BBS while I'm at work. If I worked from home everyday, I would have some fry tanks. For now, I'll just keep adults.

Teshi
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I work 12hr shifts. You can do it. I have 6 4-5in in a 55gal. I feed them 3x/day. And 4 on my days off. I do big W/C on them everyday and 2 smaller ones on my days off. And then I have 2 smaller discus in a 29gal. They are fed 5x/day with an autofeeder when I can't.

Lt shinysides
05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm in the uk I work a three shift Rota 7 days a week, I do my maintenance at any time of the day, after a night shift at 6 am when ever, just depends how badly you want the fish it can be done.

oldfar
05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the replies guys I was about to give up on this.But I now feel I can handle this with the sub adults.I've been reading everything on this sight great place to hang out. I am thinking of getting 6 discus and see how things go.

Teshi
05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
If you are looking for sub adults dont hesitate to check out Kenny's Fish (SD sponsor) They are superfantastic!

Orange Crush
05-09-2012, 07:50 PM
If you are looking for sub adults dont hesitate to check out Kenny's Fish (SD sponsor) They are superfantastic!
+1

Teshi
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
He's posting pics now!

Orange Crush
05-09-2012, 07:53 PM
He's posting pics now!
Thanks for the warning. I'm not gonna look until we get a bigger house. lol

Teshi
05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
I know you're gonna peak.. they are stunning, as usual.

Orange Crush
05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I know you're gonna peak.. they are stunning, as usual.
Shush! I MUST NOT LOOK BECAUSE I AM POWERLESS TO RESIST HIS DISCUS!!! :p

Lt shinysides
05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Doh I've just looked I want some butt can't, dam shame there's some stunning discus there :-(