PDA

View Full Version : storage container and its color

dghby
05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi all, i am going to set up a container for aged water, is there a certain color i should stay away from? does it matter? i thought i read somewhere about this but can't remember the colors
that were mentioned. silly question maybe, thanks for your help.

Skip
05-15-2012, 04:25 PM
no

ZX10R
05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I wonder if you have the clear/white ones and they are sitting some place that gets direct sunlight if you would have more of a problem with it growing algae in the container.

Just a thought

dghby
05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
it will have no sunlight, so no issue there. thank you both

Cameronv
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I wonder if you have the clear/white ones and they are sitting some place that gets direct sunlight if you would have more of a problem with it growing algae in the container.

Just a thought

+1, go with dark. Preferably high density polyethylene containers, the ones people use for long term water storage. Although it doesn't really matter too much, brute containers will do just fine. I've heard if you use them for a long time like a year or 2+ they can leach some chemicals. The polyethylene containers do not.

DiscusDrew
05-15-2012, 10:35 PM
There are the perfect food grade ones that are around a 100 bucks a piece or so, but honestly I agree with cameronv, Brute containers by Rubbermaid, they are tough, do the job, and do not leach chemicals, at least for some time. 30 bucks for a 32 gal container, around 45 for a 55 gal container. I would avoid most of your standard plastic garbage cans and such as not only can they leach chemicals but they also are not anywhere near as sturdy as the Brute containers... water weighs an awful lot ;) Good luck!

DerekFF
05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
I got a 40g blue food grade barrel shipped to me for $45 off eBay. Housed sugar before I got it

Cameronv
05-16-2012, 12:44 AM
I got a 40g blue food grade barrel shipped to me for $45 off eBay. Housed sugar before I got it

Nice, I thought about that. The used 55 gal I wanted had peppers in it previously, apparently this is common. They say it still kind of smells like pepper after.. Which I wasn't into lol. I bought a 55g blue one off of amazon for 80 total, not a bad deal.