PDA

View Full Version : purigen in canister

Eti
05-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi guys,

I have a canister Eheim 2215 and I wanted to give a shot to purigen to have crystal clear water. My discus are healthy and my plants too, however, my water was always a bit cloudy.
This is why I wanted to give a sshot to purigen.
I put the 100ml in my canister but it take only 1/2 of the tube, do you think that is enough or should i get a bigger bag?
Thanks !

discuspaul
05-17-2012, 01:19 PM
You should be able to find larger-sized bags at PetSmart, (get 2 & double them up so as not to allow the granules to escape) or you can get a good-sized very fine mesh organza bag at a gift store or dollar store, where they're sold to put gifts in. They have a drawstring and are great for enclosing Purigen, and shaping it to the size you want. Buy the Purigen loose in 250 ml plastic jars to fill them.
I think you'll find Purigen does an excellent job at maintaining crystal-clear water. I use Purigen 24/7 in my filters. Wouldn't be without it.

pupfish
05-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Heard that pantyhose (seriously) works well too.

DiscusDrew
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I use panty hose for all my media, works like a champ.

C3H6O3
05-17-2012, 09:31 PM
A bigger bag or a 2nd bag will be fine. I use Purigen as well. Great stuff!!

Eti
05-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks a lot guys! As an update, i can definitely see that Purigen does work even if it only takes half of the canoster tube. The water is much clearer. However, a second bag wont hurt.
I just got the bag from seachem (for 8$) and i also use panty hose for the peat moss, it does work very well.Thanks a lot for all your help!