PDA

View Full Version : Fish Den of NYC

joe1225us
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Anyone ever had any experience with the fishden.net in NYC. Has nice pictures, at good prices, just curious if anyone ever bought from him.

PAR23
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
I have never heard of them but tried the website you posted but was unsuccessful. Is that the correct address

Skip
05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.thefishden.net/

oh my!!

the pics posted are of TERRIBLE discus..

joe1225us
05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Pics are very colorful! Anyone ordered from them? Any other ideas for Discus in Central NJ (willing to drive 100 miles or so)

joe1225us
05-21-2012, 01:07 PM
I will also note that there is no phone or address, something that on other therads had been pointed out as a warning sign.

PAR23
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Pics are very colorful! Anyone ordered from them? Any other ideas for Discus in Central NJ (willing to drive 100 miles or so)

Not sure if Bob or Rod (NJ Discus) is within that driving distance but worth the trip. They are sponsors here......check out their section

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?236-New-Jersey-Discus-(Rod-Clement-and-Robert-Balogh)-New-Jersey-USA

joe1225us
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
drive 100 miles or so)
Not sure if Bob or Rod (NJ Discus) is within that driving distance but worth the trip. They are sponsors here......check out their section

But they only sell wild caught ones. Which are crazy expensive

RichT
05-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Rod and Bob are having a clearance sale at the moment. Check them out and see what they have.

Rich

Trevor W
05-21-2012, 01:54 PM
They (Rod & Bob) also bring in high quality domestics from Wayne Ng. Why not just get them shipped to you from one of the many great sponsors here on simply? Atleast you will know that you are getting high quality fish and its not a roll of the dice. Every sponsor that I have seen here on simply has very nice healthy stock at a very reasonable price. If shipping cost is the problem, just look at it this way, would you rather pay a little extra in shipping and get higher quality healthy stock or spend the money in fuel driving there and not have the same quality fish? either way do what you will but if it comes down to shipping costs its a very small amount to pay in the grand scheme of things, and you could just get one less fish and that should cover your shipping costs. This is just my opinion and do with it what you will. I only wish I had the same access to these sponsors as people in the U.S. To me its all a matter of starting off with high quality fish. Once again this is just my opinion and NO I do not have any experience with the above mentioned stores fish. HTH

Trevor

Skip
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM

pics with color yes..

low quality discus.. for sure

Elliots
05-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Dear Joe1225,
There are sponsers in NJ and if you google Discus for sale NYC some stores in Jersey will show up. I live in NYC and I will eventually drive to Discus Hans in Maryland. He could be about 100 miles or less from you depending on where in Jersey you live.

lipadj46
05-21-2012, 05:28 PM
But they only sell wild caught ones. Which are crazy expensive

Yes good discus cost $$$. If you want cheap ugly (peppered) but healthy discus order from Joe gargas. Be on your A game though as they are small. They grow up fairly nice though.

fredfry
05-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Yes good discus cost $$$. If you want cheap ugly (peppered) but healthy discus order from Joe gargas. Be on your A game though as they are small. They grow up fairly nice though.

I picked up some dime size wild f3 from joe. I have had them for a month and they are pushing silver dollar size now.
You are right about him having healthy fish.

Fred

BABYJIZAY
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Joe, I fully recommend taking the trip to Hans. I've been there a couple times, from NYC, just to get his top quality fish.

flexo248
05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
for NJ you can try discusmadness they are in central north NJ. i drove there and some of the strain is good quality.... good luck.

DiscusDrew
05-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Ive only heard awful things about them....discusmadness I mean

Josef
05-26-2012, 10:16 AM
This is all that I have to say....

As for me - I like to see in person what I am going to buy. Nothing else matters to me. I was going to order some fish from someone and decided against it - I will not go against my rule. There's big money involved here and I have to see in person what I am going to buy. Good luck with your search. I have been to a certain vendor mentioned here but he is not a sponsor so I dont want to make enemies. Like I said - I like to see live and up close whaty I am spending my money on. I dont know anyone here personally so I cant take anyone's word for anything - that's just me.

My advice for you - find a place you can plysically get to.

Skip
05-27-2012, 01:07 PM

As for me - I like to see in person what I am going to buy. Nothing else matters to me. I was going to order some fish from someone and decided against it - I will not go against my rule. There's big money involved here and I have to see in person what I am going to buy. Good luck with your search. I have been to a certain vendor mentioned here but he is not a sponsor so I dont want to make enemies. Like I said - I like to see live and up close whaty I am spending my money on. I dont know anyone here personally so I cant take anyone's word for anything - that's just me.

i disagree..

i have done both..

from local Texas Hobbyist Breeders.. yim11, txredneck, tct, deepflyball..

very pleased with visits and stock that i saw in person..

i have bought from HANS and Beals.. never met them nor see the stock other then posted pics..
i would not hesitate to purchase from any sponsor here.. it is their reputation they put on the line every day and every month, sending out quality stock.. if lived close to sponsor.. i would be visiting like every week!!!

so my advice to you.. if you haven't tried it.. then you should not advise against it..

Josef
05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut - I have found that to be the best forum policy for me :)

Forums have their place in my life and so let me just stick to the thing that works for me. Thanks bud I appreciate the reminder.

To the OP feel free to not listen to me, honestly, really, I'm not being sarcastic at all. Fee free not to listen to me.
:)

Elliots
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree, it is a good policy to see what you are buying. I will travel to see the Discus I'll buy because no one knows my taste like me. Sometimes it may be too far or too difficult to visit a SD sponsor. I would not hesitate to purchase from photos if I cannot visit a SD sponsor. I have read almost no complaints about any sponsors. There are always complaints in transactions but the sponsors on this site appear to reslove all complaints.

Josef
05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm sure that all of the sponsors here sell good looking fish. As well, non sponsors sell good looking fish too. So to me it's all the same - sa la vi.

Discus-Hans
05-31-2012, 01:52 AM

Josef, I've an online store, but I wish all customers would pick out or pick up their own Discus. Do you've any idea how most fish stores think about Discus people........ not my words.......... they hate them, they are (most) the biggest pain in the ....... part of the body we all sit on. The hardest part of shipping Discus is trying to please each and every customer. Some people don't have the change to travel to far and need to get them shipped. For me (and I'm sure a few more people here on Simply) it's my job to make sure they get what they want (and pay for)

Hans

JenTN
05-31-2012, 07:50 AM
Josef, I've an online store, but I wish all customers would pick out or pick up their own Discus. Do you've any idea how most fish stores think about Discus people........ not my words.......... they hate them, they are (most) the biggest pain in the ....... part of the body we all sit on. The hardest part of shipping Discus is trying to please each and every customer. Some people don't have the change to travel to far and need to get them shipped. For me (and I'm sure a few more people here on Simply) it's my job to make sure they get what they want (and pay for)

Hans

Hans the pair you sent me are crappy. You owe me another pair. P.S. I sucked out eggs sunday because I have around 100 fry and they were do doing the dance again last night, 3 days later :p

Josef
05-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Hans

Well said Hans and I agree with you - not everybody is in the position to visit a distributor - for them they have no choice but....

If you are in the CT/NY/NJ/PA area - there would be no reason for one to not just get in their car and visit a place like yours in person. For me - I'd rather go there and hand pick my fish.

gwrace
06-14-2012, 05:51 PM

I'd be real cautious about ordering from Joe Gargas. My shipment of small fry arrived with one bag split open a wet container and dead fish. The live arrivals didn't last another week. Joe refused to take ownership of the problem and acknowledge a poor packing job and was rude during our communications. Avoid like the plaque.

Skip
06-14-2012, 05:54 PM
gwrace.. come to austin.. i need to unload some fish.. wanting to move on to some vampire crabs.. and poison frogs :)