PDA

View Full Version : NOT SURE WHAT TO DO???

tonytheboss1
05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
OK. It's been a little over 5 weeks & life as we know it has changed.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tonytheboss1/IMG_0004.jpg
These 2 are inseparable. They swim mostly on one side of the tank but even on the other side they are together. As for the other 6, it seems to be a constant 'Battle Royale' of charging & bumping & at least 1 (below) has this 'twitching' thing going on intermittently. I guess thats what you call it. I'm not panicking but am concerned.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tonytheboss1/IMG_0020.jpg
Water parameters are ammonia -0- nitrite -0- nitrate -0.5- ph -7.6- temp -87-. W/C is 75% every other day. Food varies, live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanx, "T"
PS Btw the 30 or so 'ghostshrimp'............ GHOSTS!!!!!! lol lol lesson learned!

Second Hand Pat
05-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Sounds like normal and some spawning behavior to me. Have fun with it.

Bill63SG
05-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Twitching=love dancin'.

OCD
05-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Twitching=love dancin'.

+1

Poco
05-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Good luck you might see eggs soon

tonytheboss1
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
:bandana: Thanx Pat, Bill, OCD, Poco. Thanx to all of you for the comeback. I kinda figured I had at least the possible beginnings of one pair. The 'rough housing' by the others I had also read about but got caught kinda off guard because just the day before all was calm, chill (or warm as the case may be). The other six ate & swam together w/ no problems. Then all of a sudden it was like the 'bell' rang & they came out swinging!! This was overnite!! No physical damage that I can observe so far but I'll keep chking. "T"

tonytheboss1
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
:bandana: Anything else I should be doing? Temp, W/C's, food?? Any suggestions?? "T"

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Tony, I have a couple of video showing roughhousing amongst my Tefe males and courtship behaviors. Any interest?

shoveltrash
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
expect spawning soon LOL.

having a display tank, I'm adverse to spawning - it has created chaos in my tank before (the pecking order dynamics: pair gets VERY aggressive guarding their eggs!).
I'm probably in the minority here :jester:. just today I scraped a new clutch of eggs off the driftwood <shock gasp>. I don't want to breed, and have had some success subduing this behavior with a higher pH/tds....until today :(.

good luck!!!!

strawberryblonde
05-23-2012, 12:11 PM
OK. It's been a little over 5 weeks & life as we know it has changed.

PS Btw the 30 or so 'ghostshrimp'............ GHOSTS!!!!!! lol lol lesson learned!

ROFLMBO!! I had the same experience with cherry shrimp. I did everything right, released them at night when the lights were out, made sure to release them right near the plants and the driftwood so they could find safe hiding spots... uh huh, my 4" discus thanked me the next morning for that tasty little midnight snack! LOL

tonytheboss1
05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
lights were out, made sure to release them right near the plants and the driftwood so they could find safe hiding spots...

lol lol lol lol I hear ya Toni My wife watched in horror in the 'moonlight' as they were picked off one by one. Some hid (or so they thought) some tried to make a run for it .. not. She said, "Do Something!!! " I went to the kitchen & got some chips, poured a glass of 'Jack' & leaned into the recliner. Oh she was so upset.

Anyway, Pat, yes, yes, yes very much!! It will give me something to guage comparison.
Trish, to be honest I'm really on the fense about breeding. Not really set up for that at the moment but maybe one day. Just having these guys/gals is challenge enough for me right now!! Guess I'll take it as it comes & hope for the best.
Thanx everyone for the input. "T"

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Tony, the first two are the Tefe males fighting over the female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grCtw6DZOM&list=UUaeXQ_wwjMmbU52-KYBqNJg&index=6&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WKJFDbBkE&list=UUaeXQ_wwjMmbU52-KYBqNJg&index=5&feature=plcp

This video includes some courtship behaviours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcSa2r3Evk&list=UUaeXQ_wwjMmbU52-KYBqNJg&index=4&feature=plcp

tonytheboss1
05-23-2012, 06:07 PM
:bandana: Pat, Great videos!! Thank you sooo much. Now I believe for sure I got the 'courtship' thing going on (ahhhh, young love.......eeuuuu). lol As to the scrapping, is that only w/ males or does female vs female happen too?? ('chick fight' heyyy I had to ask?) "T"

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Tony, happens with the girls to and cross gender. Nobody is safe lol

tonytheboss1
05-23-2012, 06:25 PM
:bandana: Great!! So I still don't know who's bumpin who. I got a possible pair (maybe 2 females ?) I could have babies on the way. Is there anything else that we could pile on this 'sandwich'?? lol lol lol
Once again Pat, thanx for your help. One thing for sure, it's never boring!! lol "T"

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Certainly there is, a three-some :D

tonytheboss1
05-23-2012, 06:33 PM
:bandana: LMFAO!!! Nahhh the boss would never go for it. Ohh .. yu mean.. gotcha!! THANX, "T"

Second Hand Pat
05-23-2012, 06:35 PM
:bandana: LMFAO!!! Nahhh the boss would never go for it. Ohh .. yu mean.. gotcha!! THANX, "T"

:grin:

DiscusDrew
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Is the discus "twitching" almost flicking its anal fin? Im sorry I dont know how new you are to discus so this may sounds stupid but if its with your other six and not the potential pair then it may either be a territorial behavior and them simply establishing a pecking order because of the pair forming, it can kinda mix things up a bit. I suppose its possible breeding behavior too, but your the only one that can watch the tank ;)

tonytheboss1
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Im sorry I dont know how new you are to discus so this may sounds stupid
:bandana: VERY NEW!! lol lol so nothing sounds stupid when you're trying to learn. This is my first foray into the world of discus. Yes it is one of the other six, not the smallest nor the largest. I notice it most a feeding time but not w/ all food (if that makes any sense). Mostly with Hans beef mix & SanFran Bay beef heart. (they really tear into it). The most dominant one was the fire red but since the pairing things have changed. I'm kinda just trying to take it all in & make sure everybody eats & none gets hurt. Thanx DiscusDrew for your help. "T"