PDA

View Full Version : Color appearing

joe1225us
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Just got my first five discus. Two inches each from the Fish Den. I bought three described as "Blue Diamond" based on stunning pictures. The three I got are basically white, with a little blue tinge around the fins. Is this normal? When should they start to color up?

strawberryblonde
05-25-2012, 12:17 AM
It takes about a year for them to reach adulthood and color up completely. It's very gradual. Be sure to feed well, change water often and enjoy watching them grow.

Poco
05-25-2012, 02:47 PM
They will start showing some color when they are young adults 4" and it will get better with slowly until they are adults. Like Toni said above feed them frequently (without over feeding) and lots of water changes. good luck.

joe1225us
02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Here is my pride and joy at about 4-5 inches (never netted him to measure77725) He has spawned three times already. Can I expect his color to intensify, or is this it?

joe1225us
02-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Also, how big will he grow? I have him in a bare bottom 30 gal with three other Discus. I feed lots of live and frozen blood worms and do 50% waters changes every two weeks. Temp is around 82 degrees

PAR23
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Also, how big will he grow? I have him in a bare bottom 30 gal with three other Discus. I feed lots of live and frozen blood worms and do 50% waters changes every two weeks. Temp is around 82 degrees

This all depends on her age which will dictate whether or not she will get any bigger. As for food, I would add more variety to the diet. There are some very nutritious flake and pellet food available. As for your WCs, I would consider increasing it to at least once every 2 days if not daily. The key is quite simple but difficult to achieve at times, a lot of clean water and good food paves the foundation for growing out big healthy discus.

The above recommendation is to give you the best chance of growing them out to their full potential.