PDA

View Full Version : Peat for ph

Pilchard
06-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Anyone using peat to lower ph and TDS? Just wondering how well it works. My tap water reads 170 ppm TDS and a ph of 7.6 so I was wanting to lower it a little by using a peat tea bag or similar for a pair I have here.

I am only interested in lowering it for spawning as they seem fine in it as maintainance ph and with that high TDS

Thanks in advance.

Pilchard
06-05-2012, 04:03 AM
Well this question is null and void as the pair is spawning as i write this.

xxbenjamminxx
06-05-2012, 08:56 AM
They will still spawn in harder waters. Its if the water is too hard you will have poor hatch rates. Once they become wiggles there is no need for soft water anylonger. Id wait and see how things go with out doing anything to it first.

DerekFF
06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Tds of 170 is still great. There are way more than a handful of us who have breeding pairs with 90%+ hatch rates with tds in the 250-300 range

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Pilchard
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys for the timely responses, ill stop stressing and just enjoy them. With the amount of tanks i have going the less i have to do to induce spawning the better. I was just a bit worried as i have had a few issues in the past with soft water fish like angels and apistos and eggs not hardening properly.

Cheers

flexo248
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
just in case you are wondering still......i use peat in my water and it takes a while to get the ph and hardness down......because i dont want to shock the fish....did it once and i almost lost all of them........i have a casiter filter i put half a bag for one week..........make the full bag the following week.....you still start seeing some hardness change with one full bag..... i have around 100-150ppm and it lower to 75-100......and just last week i stop using it because i think it is a waste of time since my water is not too bad to begin with....city tap water in my town is not bad.......good luck