PDA

View Full Version : NADA 2014

Larry Bugg
06-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Well we are right at two weeks from the 2012 NADA Show so it must be time to start thinking about NADA 2014. The NADA BOD has not set the actual details on how we will determine who will Host the Show and where it will be held but the process will probably be similar to what we used for our upcoming Show. I just want to start planting some seeds out there.

At the NADA 2010 Show it was announced that groups that were interested in Hosting the 2012 Show should complete a application form designed to answer questions concerning how they will set up and manage the Show. Chad and I, as co-chairs of the SEDE made the decision to try to bring the Show to Atlanta and submitted the necessary information and the rest is history.

We now have quite a few regional Discus Groups formally meeting around the country. Those of you involved in these groups need to seriously consider having your organization Host and run the 2014 Show. Any one of these groups can make this a reality if they really want to. It was at the very first SEDE meeting that Chad and I proposed bringing the show to Atlanta. Thats right, we were brand new.

Whatever group wins the honor of Hosting the Show will by no means be totally on their own. It will be a joint effort between the local club and NADA. For this Show we have had a committee made up of SEDE members and NADA Officers. Chad and I will also both be available to help advise.

Please start this conversation up in your groups and give it some serious consideration. If you have questions then reach out to one of us and lets talk about them.

As soon as the New NADA President and Board are installed at the 2012 Show I feel pretty sure that this will be one of the first items to be worked on. Don't let this opportunity slip by you.

Kal-El
06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I hope Chicago is picked for the next NADA Event. I would love to have this event locally here in Chicago.

Skip
06-05-2012, 02:04 PM
I hope Chicago is picked for the next NADA Event. I would love to have this event locally here in Chicago.

spearhead the effort.. :)

flexo248
06-05-2012, 02:05 PM
do one in philly...so i can go.heheh

Skip
06-05-2012, 02:08 PM
FLORIDA or SAN DIEGO would be nice!!

Discus-n00b
06-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I think Skip hates the cold LOL

I wouldn't mind those SWDA folks hosting it, mainly because I would LOVE to have an excuse to get out to the southwest for some photography opportunities. :D:D

Second Hand Pat
06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Orlando would be super cool. Who can beat discus and disney. But alas no local club that I know of.

Skip
06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
umm.. my apartment in austin :)

Larry Bugg
06-05-2012, 02:54 PM
OK GUYS, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR I WISH, I WISH, I WISH. WHAT I WANT TO HEAR IS PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT HOW THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IT "HERE".

korbi_doc
06-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Well Larry et al, if I'm still here, I'll be THERE, wherever that'll be!' LOL, LOL, LOL....makin' plans already !! Too bad these "boonies" are so far from everything!!! Still do miss NE....,C U in Atlanta!!

Dottie

Keith Perkins
06-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Hmm, Chicago, that could be interesting. Aqueon's just up the road here in Wisconsin. Maybe it's time to form the Greater Chicagoland Discus Association.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Chicago could do it. They could in Frostbite Falls, too. I'll put my money on Chicago but I'll be happy no matter where it is.

yim11
06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Think about it from a club, not location, perspective. It's a LOT of work for the host club so it requires a well organized and funded club. I highly recommend that interested clubs attend the show to see the details and execution.

LizStreithorst
06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Actually, I was thinking of places where there are extablished clubs that could do it. Of course they need to come and see for themselves.

mlov1022
06-05-2012, 09:49 PM
do one in philly...so i can go.hehehOr NYC :D

korbi_doc
06-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Florida, Chicago, San Diego, Texas, or my choice, Philly....cuz I have family in NJ....but any would work, & I'd be there wherever.....just to see old friends, make new ones & enjoy all those wonderful fish.....wish I was closer to a fish club, but there's no one here in this boonville of Tn....lol, lol....

Dottie

vicdiscus
06-10-2012, 02:39 AM
what is about Seattle , WA ? I can go to Seattle.

April
06-10-2012, 01:40 PM
There's no discus club in Seattle I know of. We tossed it around...didn't happen.
As they said. Where there is a discus club!
HOW. About Connecticut? Rumor has it there's a discus club there...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rxbmj5

JenTN
06-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Florida, Chicago, San Diego, Texas, or my choice, Philly....cuz I have family in NJ....but any would work, & I'd be there wherever.....just to see old friends, make new ones & enjoy all those wonderful fish.....wish I was closer to a fish club, but there's no one here in this boonville of Tn....lol, lol....

Dottie

Any idea why there are no fish clubs in TN? We have no fw clubs here in Knoxville, and its a good size city.

zimmjeff
06-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Conneticut would be great Al. hin't hin't.

korbi_doc
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Jen, I have no idea, just not enough fish nuts around, I guess.....& yes, Nashville, Knoxville, both good size cities...& Memphis too.....

Any idea why there are no fish clubs in TN? We have no fw clubs here in Knoxville, and its a good size city.

Yep, Connecticut would be great...think Al could accomplish that one?? LOL, LOL......

Conneticut would be great Al. hin't hin't.

Dottie

Chad Adams
06-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Jen, I have no idea, just not enough fish nuts around, I guess.....& yes, Nashville, Knoxville, both good size cities...& Memphis too.....
Dottie

Guys, Nashville & Knoxville are a couple hrs from Atlanta. We have several people who drive further. You're part of the SouthEast!

korbi_doc
06-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Well Chad, how 'bout Shiloh, next to Savannah?? & no, not that one, in Ga... This one is SW TN!! 'Lil over 5 hrs from Atlanta, Ga.... Not a short drive, darnnit!!! Wish I was closer to someone, lol, lol......

Dottie

vicdiscus
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
What is about North West area? go to Canada?

Larry Bugg
06-11-2012, 10:22 AM
What is about North West area? go to Canada?

Well guys you are giving some great choices about where you might like to see a Show but I don't hear most of you saying what you can do to make it happen. If you want it in your location then you need to get involved. That is the point of this thread. Some of you even have some suggestions of "OTHER" people that could make it happen where you would like it. But the challenge is to get "YOU" involved in where it is going to be. Wishful thinking will probably leave you empty handed. GET INVOLVED!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

John_Nicholson
06-11-2012, 10:28 AM
It is a lot of work but looking back on the first show in Dallas I have to say it was more then worth it and I believe that in a couple of months that Larry, Chad, and the others doing the work this time will say the same thing.

-john

deepflyball
06-11-2012, 12:21 PM
I Wouldnt want TN. Man they dont even have a football team up there. Jerry

JenTN
06-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I Wouldnt want TN. Man they dont even have a football team up there. Jerry

Hate to agree with you...but true dat.

Chicago Discus
06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
I think Chicago we will roll out the red carpet.......Josie

Kingdom Come Discus
06-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Chicago would be great.

John_Nicholson
06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Chicago is only about 14 hours from me so I would be good with that.....Of course I think Austin might be a pretty cool location also......

-john

mikev
06-12-2012, 10:58 AM
Chicago would be great! As a UT vol alumni, we have a football team, they just don't show up on Saturday. Maybe we should try playing a different day of the week.

Lenin
06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
In Austin I would encourage to try and coordinate the dates when SXSW is happening.

Skip
06-12-2012, 11:02 AM
In Austin I would encourage to try and coordinate the dates when SXSW is happening.

are you kidding?!

there are NO hotels during that time.. maybe you mean.. when SXSW is NOT happening..

Lenin
06-12-2012, 11:03 AM
It can be done, be a Mexican, not a Mexican't

John_Nicholson
06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
It can be done, be a Mexican, not a Mexican't

LOL.....now that was funny.

-john

fattubwhale
06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Chicago would be fine But Minneapolis/St. Paul may be better :D Need to get the ball rolling with the crew @ Frostbite Falls Discus Club.

Pierre

Cambik
06-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I have to agree....if you book early enough it could be done....I think Austin would be great as well. I know I would help. We will definately have to talk about this at NADA.

Melissa
06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Having never even been to one of these events.... What is involved in planning? What type of venue would we be looking for? I WOULD LOVE to make this happen in San Diego.

John_Nicholson
06-17-2012, 09:15 AM
All it takes is a nice hotel and a lot of work....LOL. Honestly the best way to gat a feel for it is to attend one.

-john

Moon
06-17-2012, 02:29 PM
They are a bunch of active clubs in Ontario. The problem is taking discus across border. Coming into Canada is easy buy taking them back to the US is something else.

LizStreithorst
06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I didn't know that. What a shame.

warblad79
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Bay Area is also a good place for NADA 2014 because we have so many Discus keeper and we have 2 great sponsor here Kenny and John. Im willing to get involved if its going to happen. Hotel is no problem because we have so many.

magewynd
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey Brian,

There is a BAD (Bay Area Discus)meeting in the works. I am interested in getting together even if we meet for lunch at a pizza parlor like the local aquarium clubs are doing.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?79695-BayAreaDiscus(BAD)-Meeting&p=903065#post903065
Bay Area is also a good place for NADA 2014 because we have so many Discus keeper and we have 2 great sponsor here Kenny and John. Im willing to get involved if its going to happen. Hotel is no problem because we have so many.

trusty
06-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Hell ya the Bay area would be awesome I can visit old friends again, Austin would be great as well so many great places San DIego.....................nice

Poco
06-24-2012, 10:40 PM
I think one can take up to 7 discus in to US without quarantine.

They are a bunch of active clubs in Ontario. The problem is taking discus across border. Coming into Canada is easy buy taking them back to the US is something else.

Melissa
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I think y'all would be in HEAVEN in this San Diego weather. If there's a way to bring NADA to this coast, I'd be willing and able to assist in the effort...

So where do the tanks come from that are used? Is that part of the planning- buying necessary supplies and equipment? Or is it all already stored somewhere and brought to every show? What does happen to all of that stuff when the show is over? So many questions!! I really want to understand what duties are involved... How many people does it usually take to orchestrate the whole thing? Details people!

Larry Bugg
06-26-2012, 10:49 PM
There isn't a one answer fits all for these questions. For example.........in Dallas they used the equipment of the Texas Cichlid Association, their local group. Our local group in Atlanta and our local Atlanta Area Aquarium Association don't own equipment. Our local group, SEDE, is a social group so there are no assets or finances. We did have a lot of determination and we had individuals in Atlanta that had put on Shows before and pleadged support if needed. We filled out a application and submitted a bid detailing how we would pull it all off. NADA provides the financial backing of the Show and retains the final decision on major decisions. A sub committee was formed with two SEDE leaders and two NADA BOD officers. In this case the SEDE leaders just happened to be on the NADA BOD also but that is not necessary. The Local group assumes the role of doing all the leg work in the Show city. The Local group and NADA work together on securing Speakers, Sponsors, Equipment, ect. It isn't logistically or financially feasable to store the equipment and then ship it two years later to the next city so we sold it all at cost after the Show. We were fortunate to sell just about everything without hauling it away from the Hotel. I have 12 tanks sitting at my house right now and we are working on a buyer for them.

I really can't explain the whole process in a thread and it can differ from Show to Show. If a group is interested I would suggest reaching out to one of us involved and lets talk. I am more than happy to go into details with anyone who is serious about working on bringing the next Show to their city and I fully expect to be a consultant for the Show. As Chad said at the banquet.....................anything worth doing is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

Second Hand Pat
06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
That was a great speech Chad gave at the end of the banquet.

Orange Crush
06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
:balloon:West coast please!

Cameronv
06-27-2012, 04:33 AM

He's right, plus SF is so into fish. Great city/hotels, who doesn't love california ;)

Orange Crush
06-27-2012, 04:48 AM
SF is so into fish. Great city/hotels, who doesn't love california ;)
+1
I lOVE SF

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
The only problem with the west coast is that it really has not worked out in the past. The ACA out there several years ago really bombed. Personally I would like to go to San Diego but it would probably take someone starting and maintaining an active discus club in CA for an extended amount of time first.

-john

magewynd
06-27-2012, 09:30 AM
It's hard to get people together in the Bay Area. I live within driving distance of two sponsors and we have three major airports within 20 miles from each other. Johnnathan (John's Discus) wants to host a BAD (Bay Area Discus) meeting with Cliff leading the group but so far we have had only one response. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?79695-BayAreaDiscus(BAD)-Meeting&p=905505#post905505

The only problem with the west coast is that it really has not worked out in the past. The ACA out there several years ago really bombed. Personally I would like to go to San Diego but it would probably take someone starting and maintaining an active discus club in CA for an extended amount of time first.

-john

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Yep I saw that. I am not sure why but there always seems to be a lot of excitement for discus in CA, but it never seem to really take root. I wish ya'll luck in getting something going.

-john

johnnathan
06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
John

Please provide preparation and requirement for NADA show hosting in CA... I agree with Steve and Bryan..

Yep I saw that. I am not sure why but there always seems to be a lot of excitement for discus in CA, but it never seem to really take root. I wish ya'll luck in getting something going.

-john

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
While it is nice (and understandable) that everyone wants the show to be hosted in or near thier home city, is that really good for the event as a whole? It would seem a location that is somewhat centrally located would be best for all involved.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 01:59 PM
PM send.

-john

JamesP
06-27-2012, 02:00 PM
I vote for Josie's fishroom. Pitch a tent in the backyard and all is good. Honestly it would save me 11 hours of driving compared to Atlanta and it is a great town. The WI and MN contingencies could help out as well.

Jim

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Folks do like Atlanta did.....Get your groups together, have a meeting, and then ask NADA for an application. While it is fun remember that once you make an application is made and accepted there is no backing out. Make sure that your group is committed when you pull the trigger.

-john

Chad Adams
06-27-2012, 02:51 PM
While it is nice (and understandable) that everyone wants the show to be hosted in or near thier home city, is that really good for the event as a whole? It would seem a location that is somewhat centrally located would be best for all involved.

Rick,

I can't, or don't want to, go into all the details but that would be a nightmare. I never want to say something is impossible but this would add some elements to the show that would cause a lot of extra unnecessary work & complications.

Chad

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I can't, or don't want to, go into all the details but that would be a nightmare. I never want to say something is impossible but this would add some elements to the show that would cause a lot of extra unnecessary work & complications.

Chad

Maybe I should rephrase that to say a location that is somewhat centrally located AND has the neccesary support group/club.

Rick

Larry Bugg
06-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Once again................the point of this thread was not for everyone to say where they think it should be but rather for some of you to start considering how you can be involved in making it where you want it. Seems like a little progress is being made in that direction. Once again, I cannot give all the answers in this post. I gave some generalities of what is expected of the Host group. If you think that your group might be interested in working on bringing the 2014 Show to your area then get in touch with Chad, Jim, Jerry or me and we will be more than happy to talk with you about expectations and requirements. If you are still interested after that then we can send you the application John was referring to.

First step - talk with one of us so you have a clear understanding of the expectations.

Cambik
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I will Say there is some very serious consideration and talk in Austin, Tx. Skip and Myself had a great talk with Larry and Chad about this along with John.

nwehrman
06-27-2012, 06:00 PM
And me with Chad- Skip and Jim-

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yim11
07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Any clubs or organizations interested in hosting the 2014 show please PM me a email address to send the proposal letter/questionnaire to.

Thanks!
-jim

alpine
07-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Willie and the Minnesota club should do it ...we can all go and visit the Mall of America !

ROberto

Willie
07-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm canvassing members of the Frostbite Falls Discus Club to see if we can round up some credible volunteers. Lots of hotels have been built next to the Mall, with free shuttle to and from both the Airport and the Mall. So, maybe..

Willie

TURQ64
07-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm canvassing members of the Frostbite Falls Discus Club to see if we can round up some credible volunteers. Lots of hotels have been built next to the Mall, with free shuttle to and from both the Airport and the Mall. So, maybe..

Willie

I'm not sure what the heck 'credible' is, but for things up here in our neck of the woods, you know you can always count on me for a few extra paws, willie..

JamesP
07-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Willie,

You can count me in for MN.

Jim

Larry Bugg
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
A Mn x Tx shootout. I would be happy to go to either location but it excites me to see two groups considering putting in bids for the Show!!

Keep in mind, whoever gets the Show will have the help of those that have already done it.

Skip
07-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Willie,

You can count me in for MN.

Jim

AUSTIN is having a meeting for 2014 at this very moment..

proposal will be completed july 21st 2012

rsawest@yahoo.com
07-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Ready, willing, and able.

I agree with Willie. There are lots of hotels next the the Mall, which is right next to the airport. Very convenient for all and a vacation for family at the Mall.

LizStreithorst
07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
I was waiting for you to chime in, Linda. Y'all will have to work hard and fast. The Austin guys have the jump on you.

Underwater Oasis
07-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Does the Shed aquarium, Baltimore Aquariums or any other large aquariums offer any areas for conventions? Would be really cool to have a show at the aquarium itself and then everyone rooms at the closest hotel... I think the turnout would be better with having the attraction as a pull for the whole family.
Anthony

LizStreithorst
07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
No.

Larry Bugg
07-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Does the Shed aquarium, Baltimore Aquariums or any other large aquariums offer any areas for conventions? Would be really cool to have a show at the aquarium itself and then everyone rooms at the closest hotel... I think the turnout would be better with having the attraction as a pull for the whole family.
Anthony

A big part of the draw of these Shows is the time spent just hanging out and talking with internet friends you never see otherwise. I firmly belive that moving the actual Show and talks away from the Hotel would be very harmful to the turnout. I think most that have been to one of the Shows would not want this kind of change.

We had a number of familys come to the Show in Atlanta with their families on vacation. They visted the Georgia Aquarium, the Atlanta Zoo and other area attractions while here.

JenTN
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
A big part of the draw of these Shows is the time spent just hanging out and talking with internet friends you never see otherwise. I firmly belive that moving the actual Show and talks away from the Hotel would be very harmful to the turnout. I think most that have been to one of the Shows would not want this kind of change.

We had a number of familys come to the Show in Atlanta with their families on vacation. They visted the Georgia Aquarium, the Atlanta Zoo and other area attractions while here.

I got there late the 2nd day because of work and really felt I missed a ton. My mom asked if I went to the aquarium...I had no time! I had to.miss Dr. Pettys talk to do a wc. Between the speakers and meeting and talking with people I was going going going. And I did not meet everyone either :-( It would be great to stay a week somewhere and vacation around it, but the show in the hotel is really a great setup.

bulldogmadmax
07-26-2012, 02:47 AM
San Diego Please.. Have nice show place casa del prado in Balboa park (every year guppy show here)

John_Nicholson
07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
No need to say please. If you want the show there organize a group to host it and fill out the application. This is not a deal where NADA comes in from around the country and puts on a show for you.

-john