PDA

View Full Version : 54 gallon south american biotope questions

mattjm1121
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
hey all,

i am starting a 54 gallon south american biotope (non planted) and i'll be using an Amiracle wet/dry filter. i was wondering what exactly i should have in the filter (in terms of media) that would be most beneficial to the type of system i am planning. i have bio balls that i plan on using for the bio media, but besides that i'm not sure what else to use. i was thinking of putting some peat moss in a mesh bag in there also to help with the ph and to help create a blackwater environment. any thoughts? thanks in advance!!

mattjm1121
06-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Anyone? :p

DerekFF
06-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Peat takes to long. Just use a blackwater additive if you really want that look. For the filter just use filter pads/foam blocks and bioballs

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mattjm1121
06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
oh ok thanks. i'll probably do a combo of both since i already have the peat. as far as cycling my tank, does anyone have any recommendations on using my already established tank to seed the new one? its a planted tank thats been running for about 2 1/2 years. i was thinking of just putting some of my new biomedia into the old filter for a couple of weeks and then transfer them to the new tank. should i use some old water too?

DerekFF
06-14-2012, 10:41 PM
Just the bio media should be fine so long as you have a bio load to go with it

3dees
06-15-2012, 08:32 AM
peat needs to be changed often. be careful as it will lower your ph and as it gets exhausted the ph will climb again. I have a plantless S.A. biotope with a steady ph of 7.6. I lost the tannin look long ago but it's not worth the trouble or the extra cost. my wild discus don't seem to mind.

mattjm1121
06-16-2012, 10:20 AM
meaning so long as i am putting some fish in the new tank? sorry for my rookie-ness lol

Just the bio media should be fine so long as you have a bio load to go with it

mattjm1121
06-16-2012, 10:21 AM
ahh thats unfortunate. i really like that look. around how often did u have to change your peat?

peat needs to be changed often. be careful as it will lower your ph and as it gets exhausted the ph will climb again. I have a plantless S.A. biotope with a steady ph of 7.6. I lost the tannin look long ago but it's not worth the trouble or the extra cost. my wild discus don't seem to mind.

3dees
06-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I won't use it. as I have said it's not worth the trouble or risk to the health of my discus. I don't think my tank looks to bad without the tannin look.