PDA

View Full Version : Price range for top Curipera

brianyam
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Interested in getting some top quality wild Curipera when the season starts again. When I mean top quality, I mean the fish that usually go to Asia. What is the general price range? Thanks,
Brian

Elliots
06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Brian, I suggest you first get a price from whoever is going to supply the fish and go from there. I do not think you can get those fish just anywhere, you'll need a supplier. Of course I suggest a SD sponsor.

Discus-n00b
06-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Not an importer or anything, but based on what I've seen the tip top stuff can go for $800+ per fish (some into the thousands).....and that's the best guess I could give. Someone like Mark (Discus Origins) or Hudson could give you a more accurate answer. If you can even get a hold of some of that quality I'd be prepared to pay up front. Those fish are usually set aside and already promised to dealers in the east (Asia), so a promise to buy or partial deposit might not be enough to uproot those fish from going to Asia....I would suspect. The stuff Mark has brought in lately has been some really good quality stuff, of course not the Asia market stuff but....good quality.

Does Oliver Lucanus still bring in fish up there in Canada? He might be the person you would want to contact. Ramon, a guy on simply years ago, got all of his fish from Oliver....here is his collection, an inspiration if I may say so. Keep in mind though, this was the better part of 2004-2005. http://www.pbase.com/anastacio4/fish&page=all I'd be interested to know what price range you come up with because like I said, all I can do is give you a best guess that could be very wrong.

brianyam
06-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Cool. Thanks. Appreciate it. Will look into it.

Discus Origins
06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
In my experience to get any supplier to send you their BEST fish you will want to budget $700-900 each from distributor or place a minimum order of 8-10 boxes of discus and you may get some good ones in the shipment.

DiscusBR
06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I agree with 100% with Matt. Since you are in Canada, you can get high quality wilds from Oliver. When I contacted him more than a year ago, he was importing Cuipeuas from WB Sabby, the same exporter where I got my 7 Cuipeuas. I visited WB Sabby facilities in Goiania, central Brazil, and was very impressed by the quality of their stock. Mauricio, also a SD member and a fellow Brazilian discus keeper, has also visited WB Sabby and posted pics of the visit in another thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92343-WB-Sabby-Wilds&p=828111&highlight=#post828111

But as Matt said, WB Sabby´s best stuff goes straight to Asia.

Moon
06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I understand Oliver brings in some really good quality wilds. They are generally for the Japanese market. Dale Jordan got some really nice stock from Oliver a few years back. But he is not into discus anymore.

Discus-n00b
06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Doesn't Oliver get WB Sabby stock? Not sure, just heard it somewhere....anyone confirm? Anyone know what grade he usually brings in?

nc0gnet0
06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Ft-aquarium.com%2Fshopdetail%2F094000000022%2Fprice%2 F

http://t-aquarium.com/shopimages/taqua/0940000000222.jpg

Thier stock is getting pretty low from when I last checked. I was set to pay about $1500.00 for a fish, but it was not the sex I needed. At the time there were some that were even more expensive. They still have some decent ones left and on the plus side they are on sale. As for an importer, Kraig from Kingdom Come Discus can get them from t-aqua, I have one reserved and coming after NADA.

Rick

Discus Origins
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Doesn't Oliver get WB Sabby stock? Not sure, just heard it somewhere....anyone confirm? Anyone know what grade he usually brings in?

Oliver is WBSabby distributor in Canada, to receive from him is international meaning requires import permit, etc. that's why I stepped in as their distributor in US. We have access to same fish.

DiscusBR
06-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Doesn't Oliver get WB Sabby stock? Not sure, just heard it somewhere.... May be in post number 6 above? :)

Discus-n00b
06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
May be in post number 6 above? :)

Lol, I meant before that and totally missed you say WBSabby....I see it now ;)

Oliver is WBSabby distributor in Canada, to receive from him is international meaning requires import permit, etc. that's why I stepped in as their distributor in US. We have access to same fish.

Good to know Mark, thats what I thought as far as grades just wasn't sure. Mine sure are turning more orange/red....can't wait to see a few more months. Looking forward to see what you bring in next season. ;)

YSS
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Ft-aquarium.com%2Fshopdetail%2F094000000022%2Fprice%2 F

http://t-aquarium.com/shopimages/taqua/0940000000222.jpg

Thier stock is getting pretty low from when I last checked. I was set to pay about $1500.00 for a fish, but it was not the sex I needed. At the time there were some that were even more expensive. They still have some decent ones left and on the plus side they are on sale. As for an importer, Kraig from Kingdom Come Discus can get them from t-aqua, I have one reserved and coming after NADA.

Rick

That is one nice fish!

Elliots
06-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I am not now nor will I ever be in the market for $800-1500 Discus. However, I would love to see some photos of these fish so I can see what I am missing.

nc0gnet0
06-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I am not now nor will I ever be in the market for $800-1500 Discus. However, I would love to see some photos of these fish so I can see what I am missing.

Nor will you ever be in the market for a ferrari ;) Nothing wrong with a vette......... It's just not a ferrari.....

It's all relative.

Rick

JenTN
06-10-2012, 02:15 PM
That is one sexy fish! That would be when I had a heater fail lol! Seriously, I would love to own a fish of that calibur one day. Maybe when my kids are grown!

nc0gnet0
06-10-2012, 02:26 PM
For the record the fish I pictured is priced at $900.00 not $1500.00. It is not the fish I purchased, but a close representation (the one I purchased has had it's photo removed). I did not pay $1500.00 for the one I purchased, but I did have one picked out for that amount and was willing to purchase but found out it was a female and not the male I needed.

rick

Discus-n00b
06-10-2012, 02:28 PM
You better have a camera working whenever you get it! :D LOL

Elliots
06-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Rick, you are correct, I'll never be in the market for a Ferrari because I own a restored 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS coupe serial# AM115 4.9 2370. I also very rarely post on Ferrari-Maserati chat.

nc0gnet0
06-10-2012, 03:59 PM
You could have restored a vette for a fraction of the price I am guessing?

Rick

Elliots
06-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I do not know for sure as my Ghibli was mechanically good. It needed the body restored due to rust and I also had a new interior made. I have no idea what it cost to restore a fiberglass car. Also many Vette parts are available. I have wanted to own a Ghibli since about 1968. I purchased my car in 2002. If you actually drive the cars a Ghibli drives very well with factory power steering and factory american air conditioning. A Ferrari may be faster on the track but does not drive as well.
If you read about cars, the August, 2010 issue of "Classic and Sportscar" an authoritative English magazine, called the Ghibli better than a Ferrari Daytona. As far as price goes I do not think a Ghibli will ever approach the price of a Daytona.
If I wanted a Corvette I would not restore one, I'd buy one from Team Corvette in the US. Eventually the car you wanted in the colors you wanted would come up for sale at less than the price of a restoration. Check out their site to see what they have. Restored Ghibli coupes rarely come up for sale. Restored Ghibli spiders do come up for sale and several are for sale now.

Elliots
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Also, these collector cars are cheap to insure. I pay less than $650 per year for my car.