PDA

View Full Version : Buying discus. Anyway to know, or pick sex ?

Element77
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Im getting ready to buy 3-4 discus, but I want to make sure I make the best enviroment for them. I don't want to have an incorrect ratio (or whatever you would call it.) I was going to buy them from one of the reputable breeders I've seen on here. (leaning towards Hans?) I would buy them at possibly 3 inches or so.

I have no interest in breeding, if it happens it happens. But I'm trying to have happy fish.

Skip
06-08-2012, 09:50 AM
you need to up it to 5-6.. for "best environment".. like groups.. and 6 seems to be magic number...

no way to pick sex.. unless they are laying eggs.. that is best method

Element77
06-08-2012, 09:52 AM
For the time being, it's only a 55 gallon tank. I don't want to overstock for the time being.

Skip
06-08-2012, 09:59 AM
For the time being, it's only a 55 gallon tank. I don't want to overstock for the time being.

3-4" discus are going to be smaller then you think.. imho.. most measure HEAD to END OF TAIL.. (total length)

5-6 would be fine in that tank.. to grow out..

however.. its not very deep.. only 12" from front to back.. not alot of room once they get larger.. you should look at 75g..much better tank.. scour craigslist..

vicdiscus
06-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I agreed with Warlock4169.

Remember Discus rules. One Adult per 10 gallon. Your tank is 55 gallon , It nears to 60 gallon. You can have 6 adult discus in your 55 gallon tank is fine.

I had 10 discus were 2" Total length in a 50 gallon tank. They turned out very big and paired up had no problems. I did break the rules but they were 6"-8" because I gave them lot of water changes and high quality food to feed them.

DiscusDrew
06-08-2012, 06:41 PM
3-4" discus are going to be smaller then you think.. imho.. most measure HEAD to END OF TAIL.. (total length)

5-6 would be fine in that tank.. to grow out..

however.. its not very deep.. only 12" from front to back.. not alot of room once they get larger.. you should look at 75g..much better tank.. scour craigslist..
+1, 55 gallons is more than enough for you to get 6 juveniles and put them in there to grow out. Might eventually want a larger tank but honestly would be ok. Sex is not what determines a "good group" of discus that will behave well, especially in juveniles, it simply is a matter of numbers especially with juveniles, so unless you want at LEAST one stunted and runted discus, shoot for at LEAST 5, but preferably 6. Its not like they are super expensive at that size so its worth just waiting till you can get all of them at once. Read and Read and then Read some more about keeping discus in general, especially juveniles. Im not going to go into all the points but lets at least mention a very demanding water change schedule of 50% daily ideally, and a heavy feeding schedule of at least 4-6 times a day. You already are looking at quality stock so that part is good. Just so you are aware it is far easier to learn with disus in a larger size range as they are slightly less demanding with water changes and feedings, and slightly more forgiving as your learning the TON of information you need to keep discus. I can sit here and talk all day, but you reading and doing the research is what will truly teach you.