mstone9942
06-12-2012, 11:48 AM
What I want-
5-8 different colored Discus
1 Cory Catfish
1 Albino Bristlenose Ancistrus
school of cardinal tetra's
Substrate sand

I have read different things that conflict each other. I do not want to get all the same color Discus so couldnt I just add a few at a time after getting the others in tank and WQ like I want

Skip
06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
welcome to SD>.

what is your question

mstone9942
06-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks! Ive been told this site is great for Discus lovers....Idk I guess just some steps that I need to take to get all the above accomplished. Read some that say not to put any other fish in tank until you get all your Discus settled. Some say it doesnt matter as long as they go along with Discus. Some also say to get from same breeder and not to mix but if you dont you would just have mostly all same color. I do not want to get all the same color Discus so couldnt I just add a few at a time after getting the others in tank and WQ like I want?

Lenin
06-12-2012, 12:10 PM
How big are the discus that you're planning to get?

Skip
06-12-2012, 12:13 PM
you don't need same color discus.. if you get them from same source. ie, sponsors

i would recommend.. based upon my mistakes..

get a CYCLED SPONGE from seller.. it will help to cycle your tank

go bare bottom.. *paint outside back and bottom..

use the sponge filter and hob/power filter.. no charcoal...

and a good heater!

then.. after you have kept them alive for 1/2 year.. THEN add other things.. AFTER qt.. never add new stock to existing stock without qt.. some do, some don't.. but you don't want to wipe out any fish due to cross contamination..

ashtricks
06-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Only thing I would say is that cory cats are happier in a group of 3 or more. You can also mix and match cory cats. I have 2 Julii and 2 peppered cory.

tonytheboss1
06-13-2012, 12:39 AM
:bandana: WELCOME!! I agree, colors are appealing to me also. The choice is yours. Good filtration & multiple W/C's are really of more importance. Barebottom is easier but sand is doable if you're ready to put the work in. Again choice is yours. You will find those w/ different opinions about everything. Research, research, research & see what fits for you. Good luck "T" oh btw colors are fun!!!!
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tonytheboss1/IMG_0027-1.jpg