PDA

View Full Version : my new 7 foot discus tank

toomanyfish
06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
hi all
Its finally here.have been planning plotting for this tank for 3 years.after a lot of convincing (my parents my wife and my wallet!) i finally took the plunge and started work on it on my birthday :-)
Tank 7 21 21
Filteration 3 x 2217 (at the moment only 1 running)
Decor fine white sand,rocks,wood common amazon plants.will add some annubias.
Heater Jager 200w set at 28 deg
Fish.will have the following after a few weeks.12 adult blue diamond discus,30 cardinals and 30 rummy nose.maybe some red cherry shrimp
please let me know your comments suggestions and criticisms!
ps-would really like to thank my wife as i was out most of the time and she was the one who took care and overlooked everything from the carpenters,tank guys and electrician!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DiscusLoverJeff
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Very nice tank and scaped simple, but stylish. The discus are a good choice too! Keep us posted as to your progress. can't wait to see it with the fish in it.

A+++

yusufm52
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Wow really nice tank, it will look more beautiful with the discus in them.

Compliments to the Mrs.

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

strawberryblonde
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Nice tank...it's absolutely beautiful!

I agree that your discus should be a good fit for the tank, but I gotta warn you that the Cherry Shrimp will most likely end up as a tasty snack for the discus. Discus are VERY good at hunting them down and gobbling them up. I snuck my shrimp in at night with the lights out and released them at the bottom of the tank near the plants and driftwood base...and then sat back and watched my discus eat every single one of them. They were beating the bushes (pun intended) to find them at midnight in the tank. LOL

Elliots
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM
Beautiful tank! To me it is crying out for some bottom feeders, like a school of corys, maybe 8-10? You have some plants and some rocks to give them shelter.

YSS
06-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Tank looks great! Good luck.

Brent1972
06-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Very nice set up .

gliebig
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Looks good. What type of plants are those in the pic? What lighting are you using?

Harriett
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
It is really fine looking. I hate to say ANYTHING that is a downer, but your blue fish are going to turn rather dark with a black background, been there, done that--nothing is more dramatic than a black background for a planted tank, which is why I painted my 180g background black as well, when setting up.....but even with a light substrate, the discus stayed dark and seemed to be 'on alert' and not very gregarious in habit in the tank ALL THE TIME, but not sick.
I finally figured it out after quite a while, when I read some threads about background color by people who had been through this phenomena, on SD.. I scraped and repainted the back a pale blue/green and the change in the discus--both color and behaviour wise, was completely remarkable.
I still miss the black background and will likely do another planted tank without discus sometime.
Just being honest.
Best regards,
Harriett

Harriett
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
It is really fine looking. I hate to say ANYTHING that is a downer, but your blue fish are going to turn rather dark with a black background, been there, done that--nothing is more dramatic than a black background for a planted tank, which is why I painted my 180g background black as well, when setting up.....but even with a light substrate, the discus stayed dark and seemed to be 'on alert' somehow.
I finally figured it out after quite a while, when I read some threads about background color by people who had been through this phenomena, on SD.. I scraped and repainted the back a pale blue/green and the change in the discus--both color and behaviour wise, was completely remarkable.
I still miss the black background and will likely do another planted tank without discus sometime.
Just being honest.
Best regards,
Harriett

Poco
06-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Beautiful tank set up. I think wilds will look great in it.

wannafish
06-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Very nice tank setup. Very quaint and serene. I like the lighting. I have four Blue Scorpions in my 40 gal with a black background and plants.
And they are the happiest, most peaceful, no stress, fish ever. They almost look like their in a daze, because they don't have anything to worry
about. The colors on them are just fine, maybe a tad dark, but their blues come out. I don't think I would strip the back of a tank that large.

Jeff

wannafish
06-23-2012, 12:32 AM
By the way, I got my fish from Kenny here a Simply. They are beautiful, and healthy.
Take a look at his stock list.

Jeff

toomanyfish
06-23-2012, 01:11 AM
thanks a lot for the replies.yes am very keen on having blue fish and will give it a go.i think it will contrast the setup along with rummy nose beautifully.

cjr8420
06-23-2012, 03:35 AM
i think for me that many blue diamonds would get boring.i would add some colbalts and scorpions to the mix.but thats just me. i think anything in there will look good with the setup though

toomanyfish
06-23-2012, 10:30 AM
ya maybe i have still not started thinking about ehich strain of discus i wanna keep but i know for sure they will be blue...turqs,cobalts,scorpions depends on what i get when i get ready for discus.at the moment looking at getting a nice batch of rummy nose

Herbicidal
07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Great looking aquarium! Any fish in it yet? I'd say some Cory's are a must! :thumbsup:

toomanyfish
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
thanks a lot i have just redone it and posted pics in another thread here