PDA

View Full Version : NADA 2012 - A Few Numbers

Larry Bugg
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I didn't stop running long enough to take pictures but I did get this one on my phone. My wife has some that I will try to get up later in the week when I get back into town. Traveling for work after the Show is a bummer. This cake was made by Arturo Dominguez's (Silver) wife. She baked and decorated this cake for everyone at the Show to enjoy after the Banquet. Pretty amazing huh? Everything on it is edible.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/20120623_213658.jpg

Skip
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
i ate 3 slices :)

Larry Bugg
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
So now some numbers

Over 160 room nights reserved at the Hotel (double Dallas)
82 - 20 gallon H standard tanks
50 - 20 gallon XH tanks
100 - Show fish
80 guest attended the banquet
Over 700 feet of airline tubing
77 Registrations for the Show
73 Registrations for the Banquet
Open Class - 13
Thick Line - 23
Fine Line - 10
Spotted - 15
Solid - 24
Wild - 15
25 - Power strips
Over 500 feet of extension cord
1 - 150 foot Python - made just for us!

JenTN
06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
That cake was a work of art!

Second Hand Pat
06-25-2012, 04:52 PM
That cake is beautiful. I missed seeing it before it was cut.

shoveltrash
06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
the cake was spectacular!!!

thanks for sharing the numbers Larry - impressive.
(and hey, tell your wife I said 'hello,' really enjoyed talking to her!)

nwehrman
06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Thanks for sharing the numbers. Very informative.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discus-n00b
06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
That 150ft python was a pain to coil up, ask me how I know. ;)

My hope is those numbers just keep rising as the years go on.

JenTN
06-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I want a 150 ft Python!!!

LizStreithorst
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I have to thank you once again for your hard work and ability to go throgh the stress of it all. I couldn't have done it. My hat is off to you.

Thanks for letting us know how many in each class. It's good to see the numbers.

The cake was beautiful.

yim11
06-26-2012, 01:00 AM
This just goes to show what a great club and great folks can do to raise the bar! Every NADA show just gets that much better.

Larry and his wonderful wife, Chad, Roger, Mike and his team, and all the incredible folks in Atlanta made this happen. I cannot put into words how much hard work they have done and how well this work paid off. It simply could not have been better. They were a perfect crew of folks.

Just think how good 2014 will be...

yogi
06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
16 people took Andrew Soh's class, but I was told they need to keep what they learned a secret.

Skip
06-26-2012, 09:22 AM
16 people took Andrew Soh's class, but I was told they need to keep what they learned a secret.

3 beers loosens lips :)

so i was told ;)

Chad Adams
06-26-2012, 04:15 PM
3 beers loosens lips :)

so i was told ;)

Ahhhh.....

I'll give it up for 2!

Skip
06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Ahhhh.....

I'll give it up for 2!

i think 3 and you are giving fish away.. DANG IT!! i should have got another round for you!

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Larry,

Just curious:

So now some numbers

Over 160 room nights reserved at the Hotel (double Dallas)
82 - 20 gallon H standard tanks
50 - 20 gallon XH tanks
100 - Show fish
80 guest attended the banquet
Over 700 feet of airline tubing
77 Registrations for the Show
73 Registrations for the Banquet
Open Class - 13
Thick Line - 23
Fine Line - 10
Spotted - 15
Solid - 24
Wild - 15
25 - Power strips
Over 500 feet of extension cord
1 - 150 foot Python - made just for us!

Where would you like to see these numbers at for say NADA 2014?

Rick

Chad Adams
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Larry,
Just curious:
Rick

Rick,

Even if it were the same it would be great!
I would like to see more people there & more homebred fish.

Chad

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
I am not Larry but I would like to see 100 Registrations for the Show. With 100 high quality fish we are getting good numbers of fish but I would like to see more people. It is the conversations and the friendships that are the lasting affect of the show. You end up with friends that you keep for life and you cannot get that though a forum like you can get it in person....so the more people the better.

-john

MattE
06-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Do it in Vegas. I know logistics could be a problem and that awsome cake probably wouldnt look too good after a long trip. You could maybe have a poll for location also. I'd like to go someday too but i'd have to do a vacation combo to get my wife into it.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
It takes a strong established group in a location to pull off a show. We can't just go anywhere. Whoever is local has to do the majority of the leg work. If no one is local then it can't happen.

-john

ZX10R
06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
It takes a strong established group in a location to pull off a show. We can't just go anywhere. Whoever is local has to do the majority of the leg work. If no one is local then it can't happen.

-john

I found this out when I hit Larry up about having the next show in Nashville, TN.

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 10:23 AM
What about numbers of fish John,

If more people attended, seems logical that would translate to more fish? What if the number of fish entered were to double? Would that be a good thing?

Rick

Skip
06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
What about numbers of fish John,

If more people attended, seems logical that would translate to more fish? What if the number of fish entered were to double? Would that be a good thing?

Rick

it needs to come from the AMERICAN Bred fish..

TARA shows that Regular American CAN AND DOES WIN.. not just the ASIAN RINGERS!

shoveltrash
06-27-2012, 10:32 AM
It is the conversations and the friendships that are the lasting affect of the show. You end up with friends that you keep for life and you cannot get that though a forum like you can get it in person....so the more people the better.

-johnwell said. from the perspective of a 'newbie', this made a huge impact on me. left me feeling very inspired, & looking forward to 2014!

it needs to come from the AMERICAN Bred fish..

TARA shows that Regular American CAN AND DOES WIN.. not just the ASIAN RINGERS!+1!!!
altho technically her Discus is Malaysian bred.....Forrest :). however her accomplishment really gives us "little people" something to aspire to!

no matter who decides to host 2014, I look forward to attending - and offering whatever help I can provide too.

Skip
06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
+1!!!
altho technically her Discus is Malaysian bred.....Forrest :). however her accomplishment really gives us "little people" something to aspire to!

no matter who decides to host 2014, I look forward to attending - and offering whatever help I can provide too.

the grand champion at AQUArama.. the mother of all fish shows..

his discus was from another breeder.. BUT HE RAISED it into champion..

Michael Capota

http://www.aquamoss.net/Aquarama-2011/images/Discus-Class3-1st-Grandm.jpg

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 10:47 AM
I have always said that hobbyist could compete with the big boys and she proved it once again. I am very proud for her.

On the number of show fish....I think the minimum acceptable number is about 75. Anything above that is a bonus. We have now had 3 shows since 2005 that had 100 discus...The 2005 ACA ( in Ft. Worth and I ran the discus portion of the show), and both of the NADA shows. If we had more it would be great but as long as we don't go backwards we are fine. I would like to see the biggest growth come from the hobbyist side. While it is more work I just think you get more enjoyment out of the show if you have a dog in the hunt, You don't have to win. You just have to compete.

-john

Lenin
06-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I think one of the biggest challenges to that, is people when they first go want to see if their fish can compete, this event is done every two years and they think they have something that can compete but if they've never been to a competition they will be afraid to show their fish if they're not familiar.

Skip
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
lenin.. if i had a dollar for every time i heard.. "my fish could compete here"..

i would have $30! :)

but the fact TARA did it.. !! while others talk.. should open flood gates for the home team

nwehrman
06-27-2012, 10:55 AM
True

Nicole

Lenin
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
That's what I'm saying.

Why did people didn't bring their fish then, because they didn't know if they had a shot.

Personally I wouldn't do it until I went and saw what it was about, also knowing what judges take into account would help.

Skip
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
That's what I'm saying.

Why did people didn't bring their fish then, because they didn't know if they had a shot.

Personally I wouldn't do it until I went and saw what it was about, also knowing what judges take into account would help.

HENCE.. we need more participation in OTHER SHOWS!!!!

you mean.. you want to wait 4 YEARS before you show a fish?!
2 for nada 2014

then you show 2016?

Lenin
06-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Want I mean is more shows, even at the local level. Regionals at least every year, get people more involved and prepared.

Take a look at you for example, ever since you came back you're all pumped.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 11:06 AM
For all my fellow Texans...The TCA is hosting FOTAS and we can have a good discus blowout there if you want.

Ohh and folks from other states are invited too.....LOL.

-john

Skip
06-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Take a look at you for example, ever since you came back you're all pumped.

as an officer of NADA>. i take this serious..

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I think everyone that was at the show came back pumped....Skip just talks more then the rest of us. I just wish I could get across to everyone that did not go how much fun they missed......

-john

Skip
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I think everyone that was at the show came back pumped....Skip just talks more then the rest of us. I just wish I could get across to everyone that did not go how much fun they missed......

-john

HECK YES It was !!!!!..

plus i am do'er..

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
I think the challange of getting your fish to the show is more imposing than that of actually thinking it might be able to compete for the average Joe.

Rick

Skip
06-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I think the challange of getting your fish to the show is more imposing than that of actually thinking it might be able to compete for the average Joe.

Rick

Pack it up!! in a box.. put it on your plane as CARGO($60).. take it out put it tank..

place in a division.. sell fish.. go home

easy peasy..

Chad Adams
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM

The score sheet is posted on th NADA website.

Chad

Skip
06-27-2012, 11:28 AM
The score sheet is posted on th NADA website.

Chad

It's a cool scoresheet. Check it out

Cambik
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
It was rather easy to ship fish home from the show. I wasn't even really planning on buying anything but ended up bringing 3 home. John I would like to know more about this FOTAS show....

mmorris
06-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Could someone post a link to the list of winners? I can't find it anywhere.

JamesP
06-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I attended NADA for the first time this year. I think it is a lot more fun when you bring fish. I drove mine down and they were boxed for at least 24 hours with no issues. I personally would like to see a lot more bred by entered. I am already growing mine out:D. This year mine were young and have a long way to grow. Rodrigo and Bobtools are hoping to expand the wild section which would also be great. Participating and meeting the great folks is what it is all about. No need to worry about checking it out first. The folks in Atlanta were great and extremely helpful so 2014 bring fish and have a great time and I am sure the local folks will be more than happy to help.

Jim

Skip
06-27-2012, 11:51 AM
James.. would you agree.. that two years.. is about the right time to grow out a fish for a show?!

Second Hand Pat
06-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I came for the first time also and was the best weekend I had in a long time. I did bring a wild. Bring it was easier then I thought and I even felt I had a chance to place. Now I didn't place and that really didn't manner. Just being in the fishroom, seeing all the wonderful fish and meeting the people was enough for me. By the time 2014 rolls around my homebreds should be huge, beautiful and ready for showing.
Pat

Skip
06-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Cant wait to see your fish PAT :)

Larry Bugg
06-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Larry,

Just curious:

Rick

I think 100 Show fish is a great number. While that number grew a little from Texas what is really exciting is that the number of entrants from non importers is growing. That is a number I would like to see grow. The rest of the numbers wouldn't have to grow a lot for me to be happy. I hope the number of Show and Banquet registrations will continue to grow some.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 12:12 PM
It was rather easy to ship fish home from the show. I wasn't even really planning on buying anything but ended up bringing 3 home. John I would like to know more about this FOTAS show....

FOTAS---Federation of Texas Aquatic Societies. A umbrella organization that helps all of the fish clubs coordinate their activities. We have a show every year that moves from one member club to the another. Since the TCA is doing it this year I will check to see if the TCA website is up to date.

-john

Second Hand Pat
06-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Cant wait to see your fish PAT :)

Thanks Skip, lots of promise in the current F1 crop.

nwehrman
06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
For all my fellow Texans...The TCA is hosting FOTAS and we can have a good discus blowout there if you want.

Ohh and folks from other states are invited too.....LOL.

-john

Hill Country Cichlids was talking about FOTAS and that NADA usually is there. What do we need to do to make a splash not just be a presence? I'll bring fish to show in Dallas-- you know I have a few good competitors...

Ps the marlboro's are on eggs today

Nicole

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 12:32 PM
"Ps the marlboro's are on eggs today"

Cool.

Lets start a topic over in the Lone Star section. I am going to lunch but will try to respond this afternoon.

-john

nwehrman
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Cool-

Nicole

Skip
06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Cool-

Nicole

already post it..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/group.php?groupid=4

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I think 100 Show fish is a great number. While that number grew a little from Texas what is really exciting is that the number of entrants from non importers is growing. That is a number I would like to see grow. The rest of the numbers wouldn't have to grow a lot for me to be happy. I hope the number of Show and Banquet registrations will continue to grow some.

Larry/John,

Any chance of a few more categories at NADA 2014? If this event contiues to grow any chance of it becoming an annual event rather than bi-annual?

Rick

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 01:45 PM
The number of categories depends on the number fish and the number of strains, It is hard to have lots of categories until it has been proven that they are needed. The trouble with an every year show is that it is hard to keep it fresh. There are only so many good discus speakers. Having it every two years allows us to have a kick *** show as opposed to a half assed show every year.

-john

JamesP
06-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I would agree with that. I figure some of the other fish I kept from the group I brought to Atlanta should be a nice by then. Andrew and Dick thought Kraig's monsters were going on three years. Again folks just need to bring some fish to the show. It adds to the experience.

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 02:07 PM
John,

I see your point about the speakers.

The number of categories depends on the number fish and the number of strains, It is hard to have lots of categories until it has been proven that they are needed.

I understand this, but also believe the that the flip side of that might be true as well. Meaning more categories might encourage more entrants.

John_Nicholson
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I see your point also, but until now there just has not been a need for anymore categories. No telling what the future will hold.

-john

Chad Adams
06-27-2012, 02:20 PM
John,
I see your point about the speakers.
I understand this, but also believe the that the flip side of that might be true as well. Meaning more categories might encourage more entrants.

Rick,

A lot of the show fish would not have been there if it had not been such a big push from the committee. Several of the vendors brought more fish than they wanted because we asked them to. Most would have brought less. Same with some of the hobbyists. The emphasis really should be on encouraging more people to come and be involved as well as hobbyist fish. The major vendors will bring their fish & most would be happy to bring less. One Hundred Show fish, a mix of all, is a good number. Also is easier on the judges. The judging took almost 3 hours, not to mention the involvement of making a presentation with pictures and all.
Alot of people are excited and talking up the show but in 2 years we'll be hoping to fill the tanks.

Chad

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Chad,

Just for the record, my line of thinking of say adding a category was a means of encouraging more locally bred/raised fish and people to visit the show. I see your point that if it only meant the vendors were called upon even more to stock the show, then it would be meaningless. Perhaps (and this is just an idea), if you formulated a list of a few different possible categories that might be added, and then put it to a vote to the NADA membership and picked one on a trail basis, it would be interesting to see the turnout. If you extrapolate the success of the 2012 show over the 2010 show and project that onto the 2014 show, it might be doable.

Rick

Cambik
06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
One of the things that was added to this years show was a Home Bred catagory. So There was a new catagory and I think that one was deffinately a good one to add to get more people involved.

Skip
06-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Rick..

you should take this to the NADA forum.. probably best place..

Chad,

Just for the record, my line of thinking of say adding a category was a means of encouraging more locally bred/raised fish and people to visit the show. I see your point that if it only meant the vendors were called upon even more to stock the show, then it would be meaningless. Perhaps (and this is just an idea), if you formulated a list of a few different possible categories that might be added, and then put it to a vote to the NADA membership and picked one on a trail basis, it would be interesting to see the turnout. If you extrapolate the success of the 2012 show over the 2010 show and project that onto the 2014 show, it might be doable.

Rick

Skip
06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Tara fish was not entered in the HOMEGROWN

One of the things that was added to this years show was a Home Bred catagory. So There was a new catagory and I think that one was deffinately a good one to add to get more people involved.

Cambik
06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Tara fish was not entered in the HOMEGROWN

Yep I know. It was still a very nice Fish though.

Larry Bugg
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure how adding more classes would encourage more locally bred/raised fish. A home bred fish isn't drastically different than an imported fish when it comes to patterns or colors which is what the classes are based on. Could you give an example of what sort of class you have in mind?

mmorris
06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Could someone post a link to the list of winners? I can't find it anywhere.

Bump

Cambik
06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97292-Matt-s-NADA-Atlanta-2012-log

Its in there.

nc0gnet0
06-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Could you give an example of what sort of class you have in mind?

Pigeon Blood
Albino
Golden Based

Pick One. I know all three is'nt feasable. And while the best home bred was a great idea, it wasn't really a category, rather a competition within a competition (and there is nothing wrong with that). I know any of the above is eligable for the open class, but then so are the fine lines, spotteds and solids as well.

Chad Adams
06-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Bump

Bump back at 'YA!! LOL.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97292-Matt-s-NADA-Atlanta-2012-log/page6

Chad

Larry Bugg
06-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Pigeon Blood
Albino
Golden Based

Pick One. I know all three is'nt feasable. And while the best home bred was a great idea, it wasn't really a category, rather a competition within a competition (and there is nothing wrong with that). I know any of the above is eligable for the open class, but then so are the fine lines, spotteds and solids as well.

"my line of thinking of say adding a category was a means of encouraging more locally bred/raised fish"

What I was trying to understand is how a new class would encourage more locally bred/raised which is what you thought adding a category would do. I still don't see how adding a pigeon, albino or golden would encourage this. I guess my question is....why would these encourage people anymore than the existing classes? I think several things would have to occur for me to want to entertain the idea of adding more classes. We would have to have more entries. We would have to have more judges. We would have to have more time for judging. We had very good growth this year and a big area of that growth was in individuals showing fish. I think that trend will continue without adding classes at this time.

mmorris
06-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys! Tara's winner is exceptional! She did a great job growing him out.

John_Nicholson
06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Larry I think he is saying that with more classes, there are more awards. More awards mean that the chance of winning increases and since everyone wants to win that would be an incentive to show a fish.

-john

Skip
06-28-2012, 09:10 AM
Larry I think he is saying that with more classes, there are more awards. More awards mean that the chance of winning increases and since everyone wants to win that would be an incentive to show a fish.

-john

lots of witty comments.. but i think i will keep them to myself :)

LizStreithorst
06-28-2012, 09:12 AM
I think that he would prefer classes that were based on strain rather that type. Classes for PBs, SSs, Turks, etc. Rather than Fineline, Thick line, solid, etc. But I thought you did it the way it is now on purpose.

LizStreithorst
06-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Like a class for Skips fish and one for Liz's fish?

lots of witty comments.. but i think i will keep them to myself :)

Skip
06-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Like a class for Skips fish and one for Liz's fish?

my fish would make EVERYBODY ELSE a winner!

JamesP
06-28-2012, 09:22 AM
LOL possibly before taking home Liz's fish:D

my fish would make EVERYBODY ELSE a winner!

Elliots
06-28-2012, 09:27 AM
I live in NYC. I am not aware of any local aquarium societies of any type. I really have not looked. Are there any national aquarium societies that meet every year or two that NADA can piggy back on and have a meeting at the same time? Or do the members of NADA want to keep to themselves?

Skip
06-28-2012, 09:28 AM
LOL possibly before taking home Liz's fish:D

last night after water change.. i was scowling at my EXISTING fish.. if i could beat them for being ugly.. i would!

THANKS NADA 2012!

for opening my eyes to difference between SHOW & NOT Show fish!

Chad Adams
06-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I live in NYC. I am not aware of any local aquarium societies of any type. I really have not looked. Are there any national aquarium societies that meet every year or two that NADA can piggy back on and have a meeting at the same time? Or do the members of NADA want to keep to themselves?

We will typically Piggy-Back on the ACA.

Chad

Skip
06-28-2012, 09:40 AM

NEW YORK CITY!??!!?!!

"Get a rope!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgrGyR6EYbY

John_Nicholson
06-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Like Chad said we normally piggy back on the ACA, but it really does not compare to the fun you have at a NADA. For me the ACA is just a way to keep me from completely losing my mind until the next NADA show rolls around.

-john

mmorris
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I live in NYC. I am not aware of any local aquarium societies of any type. Here's one: http://www.greatercity.org/

LizStreithorst
07-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Here's one: http://www.greatercity.org/

Why were you not at NADA, Martha?

zimmjeff
07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
skip you make us all winners.

VictorNorth9
08-19-2020, 09:00 PM
Wow what a beautiful cake. Looks very appetizing