PDA

View Full Version : can fish die without light?

ufoblue84
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
My light had turned faulty and I need to repair it. Can fishes die without any light?

wdeleon01
07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
No I dont think Ive ever heard of that. My Discus actually like no light or just the natural light.

Bill63SG
07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I dont know about super long term,but no.I even read about an ich treatment that included blocking all light from tank.And then you have things like cavefish that live thier whole lives without light.

tonytheboss1
07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
:bandana: Unless you have plants, that light is more for you to see. Replace it when you can. They'll be just fine. What ever natural or room light you have will suffice. "T"

roclement
07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
fish can die without lights.

and with lights to! :)

Sorry...had to do it! Fish will be fine!

Rodrigo

wdeleon01
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
fish can die without lights.

and with lights to! :)

Sorry...had to do it! Fish will be fine!

Rodrigo

Lol Your totally right Rodrigo.

a volar
07-05-2012, 04:21 AM
They will be fine.......

ganesan
07-05-2012, 06:12 AM
Discus fish live in murky waters that hardly have enough light so I do not think light is necessary for them except if you have a live planted tank and want to display your fish in the house as a focus point.
In my experience discus fish do well in dim lights as in my long 6 feet tank I keep lights in one corner of the tank and light spreads to about 60% of the tank.The rest is dim and discus love them.While feeding I feed them close to the brighter areas of the tank and the discus all come in groups to eat and after wards they retreat away and some relax and play in the dim lit areas while some are in the stronger lighted areas.
Off course my tank in Bare bottom and have just floating plants.

Eddie
07-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Don't worry about it, just put a lamp near the tank and thats all you need. If its really dark, they'll just be less active and obviously not eat. I don't even have tank lights at the moment, only the room light that remains on until I go to sleep or I leave it on 24/7.