PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a dehumidifier?

DLock3d
07-04-2012, 04:10 PM
As the title reads. Looking for a dehumidifier for my fish room.

Bill63SG
07-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I could be wrong,but by it's very nature,won't it suck the water/moisture from the tanks?Maybe just a venting fan?I hate to be one of those guy's that dosent answer the question,but I just use a large pedestal fan.Tho my tanks are in a corner of the basement,so it is a larger space then a "room" per se,

DLock3d
07-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't think so Bill. I'm mainly looking for something to decrease the humitity in the room to prevent mold or mildue on the walls and ceiling.

Moon
07-04-2012, 05:15 PM
I have a heat exchanger. Works well during spring fall and winter. During the summer I use a dehumidifier.

Trier20
07-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I could be wrong,but by it's very nature,won't it suck the water/moisture from the tanks?Maybe just a venting fan?I hate to be one of those guy's that dosent answer the question,but I just use a large pedestal fan.Tho my tanks are in a corner of the basement,so it is a larger space then a "room" per se,

With daily water changes a dehumidifier wouldn't do much to water evaparation in tanks. I run one in my basement all the time. Make sure you get any energy star one though!

DiscusDrew
07-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I love my Kenmore dehumidifier (despite the fact I sell appliances for a living this is still a quality machine with an easy drain hookup so you never have to empty it) make sure to get one rated for around 70 pints a day it more for a larger room. My fish room has drywall still in it so it was critical that I get a good dehumidifier so that I don't do damage to the room (I don't own the apt). So far with 12 tanks in a 1200 sq foot room, I have zero problems, it makes the fish room more tolerable too, I never have problems with too much evaporation at all, there's enough moisture in the air that it isn't going to pull any moisture that you don't want to get rid of. Hope that helps my friend, about 200 bucks, found at Sears.

cjr8420
07-04-2012, 11:36 PM
I love my Kenmore dehumidifier (despite the fact I sell appliances for a living this is still a quality machine with an easy drain hookup so you never have to empty it) make sure to get one rated for around 70 pints a day it more for a larger room. My fish room has drywall still in it so it was critical that I get a good dehumidifier so that I don't do damage to the room (I don't own the apt). So far with 12 tanks in a 1200 sq foot room, I have zero problems, it makes the fish room more tolerable too, I never have problems with too much evaporation at all, there's enough moisture in the air that it isn't going to pull any moisture that you don't want to get rid of. Hope that helps my friend, about 200 bucks, found at Sears.
well i dont think most of us have 1200 sq foot fishrooms. being a salesman of them what would u reccomend for like 12 tanks in a 150 sq ft room.i have used a bathroom exhaust fan/ fart fan that works good but u are removing the air which makes the furnace/ac run a little more than normal that i didnt like.

DLock3d
07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
err +1 to mikes post. my room is no bigger than 200 sqf. I don't know exactly what it is but certainly not 1200 lol. I think I want to get a dehumidifier regardless. I dont want any damaged to the walls or ceiling.

Moon, you mentioned that you use one but didn't say what kind or what you liked about it.

joshvito
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
My 2cents. This is how it was explained to me by my homebuilder when I needed one to help with the humidity in the basement to prevent mold from my foundation drying.
I have a 70 pint running in my basement, on all the time. ~250-300$ at homedepot/lowes;
My basement is about 500sqft.

The larger unit you buy, the less it will have to run. It's the same principle as buying an ac unit.
Buying a smaller one may save you some money upfront, but a smaller unit will have to run more often to keep the humidity down.

The unit helps keep the basement warm, as it gives off heat. I also keep it set at 55% humidity. (Mold grows at 60%)