PDA

View Full Version : From a 22 gallon to a massive 72gallon.

yusufm52
07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Well guys I am finally going to shift my remaining 4"-3" discus to my 72 gal tank maybe Saturday or on Monday. Got the tank a cover as it was open but since these guys jump alot and already had one jump out of the tank and my mom was at the right moment at the right place she saved it.

Here is the tank Without the cover

It kinda resembles Matt's tank in being a rimless and I got the idea from him and got into discus keeping because of his amazing pics.

Here is the top

Am using LED white and blues which my small bro helped me out with.

And here is the whole tank with the lights on.

I have an ehiem canister filter running on it. The filter has been running for about 2 good years or so. The 72 gal currently had 5 goldfishs and one comman pleco, which I going to give away to my uncle who is ready to take them off my hands so I can make space for the discus. And have currently transferred the golds stock to a 40gal tank and am running the ehiem on it. And scrubbing down the entire tank.
I will be cleanning the filter before hooking it upto the 72g again.

My dilemma:-

should I discard the entire filter media and do the cycle again or will it be okay if I just clean the media good and hook it up. I Can't get TSS right now and my LFS will make it available maybe after 3-4weeks.

Suggestions and comments.

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

BigWave
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Personally I would use new media, or REALLY REALLY clean the old media and filter so they are near new. However I would NOT cycle the tank again.

Just move the filter from your existing 20, and run BOTH filters for a few months, so you can safely build a bacterial colony on the second filter. Then once it can handle the load remove the smaller filter and just keep one. The existing filter should handle the task fine since the bioload has not changed.

yusufm52
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
I already have some ceramic ring bags in the QT in which the discus are currently kept and was planning to added then to the tank when I set it up. :-)

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

Floppy Fin's
07-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Just my humble opinion yusufm52...you have a beautiful tank, and if you filled it, and used PRIME or a excellent Chlorine/Chloride remover, as well as adding some Seachem Stability after the PRIME, you should be fine with using your precultured filters.. NOT to clean them as you will kill off the good bacteria. I hope others will either verify my thought, or put a damper on them.
Good luck.. nice setup.

xxbenjamminxx
07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Just a quick question, was that tank purchased as a rimless tank or did you take off the trim to acheive that look? I have been wanting to remove the trim on my 75g and add euro bracing but am too chicken to do it. Prob not a good idea anyhow, but thought I would ask you about yours? If you didnt do that yourself may I ask where you got it from?

BigWave
07-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Just my humble opinion yusufm52...you have a beautiful tank, and if you filled it, and used PRIME or a excellent Chlorine/Chloride remover, as well as adding some Seachem Stability after the PRIME, you should be fine with using your precultured filters.. NOT to clean them as you will kill off the good bacteria. I hope others will either verify my thought, or put a damper on them.
Good luck.. nice setup.

Just to clarify my opinion (and it is just a free opinion)
I would keep the precultured filter media from the discus tank, but not the goldfish. Who knows what bugs they had crawling around in them.

yusufm52
07-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Just to clarify my opinion (and it is just a free opinion)
I would keep the precultured filter media from the discus tank, but not the goldfish. Who knows what bugs they had crawling around in them.

My thoughts exactly because my golds are profilic breeders. Everytime there is a water changes in a day or to the give out eggs as I have two male and two females in the tank, so that's I wanted to clean the filter using the tank water its self and then have a sponge filter and a bag of ceramic ring in the discus QT tank which I would and to the tank so u wouldn't have to go through a mini cycle or complete cycle. As I would be adding the already running filter to the tank and the ehiem as an add-on.

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

yusufm52
07-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Just a quick question, was that tank purchased as a rimless tank or did you take off the trim to acheive that look? I have been wanting to remove the trim on my 75g and add euro bracing but am too chicken to do it. Prob not a good idea anyhow, but thought I would ask you about yours? If you didnt do that yourself may I ask where you got it from?

I got the tank rimless from the start, the rest the stand and the cover I have made it at home. If your glass thickness is 12mm or more you should be fine if you remove the trim. But do it carefully, we don't want to crack the glass.
My tank is made from 12mm glass

Yusufm52
sent from tapatalk2

tonytheboss1
07-06-2012, 01:57 PM
:bandana: Because we're talking 'apples & oranges' (goldfish & discus) I would prefer to start w/ new or thoroughly, thoroughly cleaned media. Seed it from the tank the discus are presently in. I'm not paranoid but the combo of goldies & plecos gives me chills. I'd much rather err on the side of caution. "T"

yusufm52
07-06-2012, 04:10 PM
:bandana: Because we're talking 'apples & oranges' (goldfish & discus) I would prefer to start w/ new or thoroughly, thoroughly cleaned media. Seed it from the tank the discus are presently in. I'm not paranoid but the combo of goldies & plecos gives me chills. I'd much rather err on the side of caution. "T"

yeah i know, well in my short experience with keeping discus, is that they can easily fall sick, so i had luckily had some media seeded when they were in the QT, so have put the same media in the 72gal tank, and will be hooking up the ehiem only after a through cleaning of the media and the pipes, the whole works i guess but that will be on monday am going out fr the weekend.

i have put the discus in their new home and the seem to have settled in, have done at night so guess by morning they will be back to their former self and will be cutting back on the food. i'll be doing WC after i get back from my trip have got a friend to feed them once in the morning guess that will have to do for now.