PDA

View Full Version : I have a big hole in my wall and the skies the limit....

md0u80a2
07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

Well I am moving house - and I will have a garage!!!!

Best yet, the garage shares a wall with my hall.

I kept fish for for 5 years but stopped over 5 years ago. I kept some discus in a 210 litre juwel tank, but was never happy. Because of its small size, I was merticulous with water changes and quality and filtration, but this is inpractical.

So I left the hobby so as not to harm them - even though I loved them!!! Never had fish with such personality.

Now, here is the plan I have always had in my head.

I want a tank in the garage that will be against the hall wall and so viewable through a large opening in that wall - probably inserted into the hole, as I can get the builders to make it to my specifications and plaster around it (although I had concerns about that in terms of water at the join).

Question 1) Does anyone have a tank inserted through a wall and is it relatlively simple to do. Will the tank be ok in the garage - obviously cost more on heaters, but will they be safe? I use to have breeding tanks in garage and they were ok. I imagined having a 120cm length x 60 deep x 90cm height inserted sideways through the wall (see below)

Question 2) I had two thoughts about tank volume. Either, have a large tank and use 3d background or dividers to make the viewable area smaller. That way, I could keep 8 discuss in 600 litres instead of the 400 you may normally. Alternatively a sump or such (although I want to reduce any possibility of problems with siphoning!) Thoughts? Could I keep 600 litres of fish in a 300 litre viewable tank if the actual volume is 600 litres - or will that stress them? Presumably, such a large volume would allow for quite a bit of stability. Does my idea of having it in the wall on its side, so I could partition off with a 3d background at say 60cm deep and have another 60 hidden sound good? Also, would this offer a pefect breeding area, as it would be the same water, but completely cut off and seperate from the tank?

Question 3) I always dreamed of having a header tank of say 150 litres, filling it at the begining of the week, heating it, buffering it and then putting a small pump on timer to come on for say 1 minute 3 times per day, so you get a 7 litre hit of water three times per day, effectively 15% water change per week, but never in one go. I could then put two drilled holes at the top of the main tank so the excess water siphons off down the drain. Any thoughts? I could of course do the same non-automated and still have the pleasure of clean water changes, but does anyone have such a system?

Question 4) I always hated substrate and how difficult it was to clean. What If I mould a bottom layer for the tank, with holes for potted plants, but then cover it with aquarium adhesive and poor fine sand or gravel on it like a childrens painting? I would then have a decorative base that looks like a thick substrate, but is in fact solid and therefore extremely cleanable, with none of the deep dirt I hate with gravel. Any idea?

Question 5) Filtration. Clearly, the best filtration, I feel, is to turn over water and have large volume. I do wonder if I had a 300 litre header tank and constantly fed water, so I did a full water change every 3 days, would I have a wonderful stable tank or a nightmare? If I fed RO water into the header, added buffer by a timer and then had a pump on timer, would it work? Moving on from crazy, never used sumps. I was very happy with external cannister, but seems silly with such a big tank. What would your suggestions be?

so many questions....Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Mo

ktm4us6
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Hi Mo, this is what I have, 500g tank built into the wall in my living room from my garage, in the garage is an enclosed room for the tank and sump. The tank has an automatic water change system with 1/4" poly tubing going through pre filter and carbon filter and drip fed to the tank, and have an overflow setup to allow excess water out which waters my yard lol. The fish room will be heated to the correct temp for the tank. This was allot of work, but I did all the work myself to save money. I made the fish room as small as possible to save on heating the room, and use an outside wood boiler to heat it. This setup might be out of most peoples price range if they can't do allot themselves. I have had this planned for 5 yrs and slowly over time was able to just get everything setup. I had the tank in storage for three yrs :(. 745957459674597

Brent1972
07-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Are you using a two pod filter or a three pod ? I use a three pod which has 1 x 1 micron prefilter, 1 x Chlorpluss carbon, and 1 x HMA multimedia carbon.

ktm4us6
07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm using one pre filter and one carbon filter, I believe pre filter is 5 micron. When I had my discus in my 55g I had to age my water, and switching to the display tank the water volume is so big I don't have ph swings anymore. It's amazing how much more stable bigger tanks are.