PDA

View Full Version : New seeded 54 gallon SA biotope

mattjm1121
07-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I've just filled my 54 gallon tank which will be set up as a SA biotope. It's been seeded with bio media from a long established planted aquarium. So what I wanted to know is how log should I wait to add fish? I have some fish from the planted tank that I will be transferring. Thanks!

DiscusDrew
07-09-2012, 11:27 PM
No need to wait, I age my water, so when I set up new tanks with old media from SAFE NON MEDICATED tanks, I fill the new tank and allow it to sit for 24 hours then I consider it good to go. Years of discus without a problem, your nitrogen cycle should already be well established, I also do daily 50% water changes which lowers any potential risk of the bio load being too great for the established media.

mattjm1121
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
No need to wait, I age my water, so when I set up new tanks with old media from SAFE NON MEDICATED tanks, I fill the new tank and allow it to sit for 24 hours then I consider it good to go. Years of discus without a problem, your nitrogen cycle should already be well established, I also do daily 50% water changes which lowers any potential risk of the bio load being too great for the established media.

Oh ok great. It's been just about 24 hours so I'll begin to add some fish. Is it possible to have a bioload that is too small for the established media? Thanks

DiscusDrew
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Yes, however its not a concern as the excess bacteria will just slowly die off over time, being of little consequence. Your aquarium will adjust to whatever the bio load of the tank is.

mattjm1121
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Ok great thanks. I'll post some pics soon!