PDA

View Full Version : Converting an AC110 to a fluidized filter

Darrell Ward
07-10-2012, 03:19 PM
I converted an old AquaClear 110 by first removing the old sponge and media. A couple of handfuls of Kaldness media was added to the empty filter. 2 airstones were then added to the media chamber. Finally, a piece of Matlala filter sponge was cut to fit, with small holes punched in for the airline tubing. This sponge helps to hold the media in place, and provide mech. It will probably take a couple of weeks for the media to be covered with bacteria, and start to tumble properly. This filter is on a 75 gal. wilds tank. As you can see, it can be really simply to make a fluidized filter out of a filter you may alredy have.

nwehrman
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the idea Darrell - looks easy and would love to get some fluidized bed on some tanks that have no sump.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darrell Ward
07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
You're welcome, and yes, anyone can do it in 10 mins. or less.

Second Hand Pat
07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Pretty cool Darrell :)

spiffyfish
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Nice job Darrell, i came up with my own a few weeks ago with some bio balls i had. I seperated my sump with eggcrate and put some air stones and the balls in one chamber and it seems to be working pretty good.

Darrell Ward
07-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Sounds good Chris. There are many ways one can improve filtration. It just requires some thought. :)

Chicago Discus
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Sounds good Chris. There are many ways one can improve filtration. It just requires some thought. :)

I just started using fluidized beds in my fish room and so far I really like the results.....Josie

spiffyfish
07-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I just started using fluidized beds in my fish room and so far I really like the results.....Josie
Yes i have noticed a clarity in the water over the past few weeks.

Chicago Discus
07-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes i have noticed a clarity in the water over the past few weeks.

+1 and I also like that it's less work......Josie