PDA

View Full Version : Beginner with a 75 gallon.

jesseter
07-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Hello everyone. It's nice to be here. So first off I am new to discus. I have been keeping fancy goldfish for about 10 years now. So I am not a complete newbie with fish. That being said I have a 75 gallon tank that I would like to make into a planted discus community tank. I was hoping for some feedback on stock levels of other fish and see what the pros had thoughts on. First off I was going to get some manazita driftwood for the tank. Then I was going to put a few plants in it(not sure what kind) and gradually add more. I was thinking of locating the plants in the back or keeping potted and having a mostly bare bottom tank. As for fish I am thinking of getting 5-6 two inch juvie discus. I was going to throw maybe 4 or 5 bushy nose plecos in and about 5 or 6 cory cats. I also like the german blue rams and the apistos but am not sure how many would be going in. Would that be too many fish ? I have a eheim 2213 filter(spray bar), fluval 405 filter(with a coralife 9W UV sterilizer) and a emporer 400 HOB filter going on. Is this going to be to much filtration or too turbulent for the discus. I was also wondering with this being my first attempt should I spend a large amount on specimens that may not make it due to my being a first time discus owner? Also is there a trusted place you all go for your plants?Any info or possible set ups similar to this are very much appreciated!! Thanks so much!! Looking forward to being part of the community!!

Regards,
Jesse

P.S. The tank has not been cycled yet. I am probably going to start that this upcoming week.

Poco
07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome to SD!

As you are starting with discus keep it simple and unplanted. You can get some good artificial plants for esthetics. Your first priority is to learn about discus and what works well for them and then add the rest when you are comfortable with them. Your filtration should be ok may be you will need some airin the tank, may be you can consider a sponge filter.

I will also suggest to do a fish less cycle, just use the search box.

Good luck!

Keith Perkins
07-22-2012, 01:34 PM
If you're determined to do planted, I'd suggest buying bigger fish. Raising up small discus adds all kinds of complications to doing planted a discus newbie really doesn't need. A 75 is a great tank to start off discus with. There are several good threads about on doing planted tanks, I'd suggest searching on the word planted. Discuspaul does planted very well, you could PM him for advice and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Also if you're interested in some good bigger fish, Carolina Discus has some great specials going on right now to reduce inventory.

jesseter
07-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks Poco and CozyKeith! Appreciate the quick responses. Will definately check out Carolina discus and chekout the planted search. Any specific sponge filter? That would be a first for me. Thanks!!

Keith Perkins
07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Here is a link to a thread Paul started just yesterday that might be helpful. As far as sponge filters go, I've never been picky about brands. Just get at least medium size if not large and a couple of them.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?97958-DISCUS....AND-A-PLANTED-COMMUNITY-TANK....-!!!

Poco
07-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Any large size will do. I'm using ATI pro sponge and found them to be really good. http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati-hydro-sponge-pro-filter-5.html

I found kensfish.com prices are really good almost unbeatable, bought ton of stuff myself.

shoveltrash
07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
definitely opt for larger fish! ditto the advice re contacting Carolina Discus (Eric). he has some SUPER deals right now, and very nice stock (Forrest).
your filtration sounds like it may generate a lot of water movement - I only use two Hydro 4 sponge filters in my 65g (w/daily WCs).
one option to consider.....when I started up my new Discus tank I got two seeded sponge filters from my Discus supplier. instant cycled tank! :)
good luck and keep us posted :D
ps - not sure about all the other fish you mentioned. I know that plecos can sometimes be a problem as they like the taste of Discus slime coat. my tank is Discus dedicated, no other fish. I'm sure you'll lots of good advice from others here.

jesseter
07-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks for all the great advice everybody!! I will check out this kensfish.com. While I was looking around found a place called somethingsphishy.com. Has anyone ever ordered from there? THANKS AGAIN! It is awesome that we have a place we can go to ask questions that lps people don't have answers to. Any suggested authors to look out for? I know I have a goldfish bible(a-z of goldfish) anything like that for discus?

jesseter
07-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Just saw a thread on somethingsphishy. Never mind not even looking there now!! Definately look at the vendors on this site again!!

Keith Perkins
07-23-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm glad you found that thread, you shortened this one considerably by figuring out so clearly to steer clear of that fish pedlar. Sponsors here are the safest bet, followed by longer term members.

You close enough to O'hare to consider coming to the first meeting of the MidWest Discus Association?

Second Hand Pat
07-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Jesse and welcome to SD. You have been given some excellent advice and a 75 is an excellent size. I would like to suggest starting with your discus and do the plants a little later once you are comforable with your discus. Discus require a bit more maintainance then most other freshwater fish so I would suggest getting a handle on that before progressing to plants.

jesseter
07-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I am about an hour away from O'hare. When will the M.D.A meeting be? Schedule has been crazy lately, becuase the hospital I work at is opening a new location. They have me running between the two. Busy, busy, busy! I am going to definately wait for the planted aquarium and go with the bare bottom. A few stones scattered here and there plus a little driftwood, but only the fish. It's always smarter to go with the wisdom of the people who have been in the hobby for a long time!! Thanks to everyone who has given me advice!! Just started to cycle the tank. I am definately getting excited!!

tshears
07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I wonder if there are any meetings in central florida?

Second Hand Pat
07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
I wonder if there are any meetings in central florida?

Tyler, not that I know of.

Suzukirider98
03-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Hey jesseter if your discus ever spawn and have babies I'd be interested in buying some of them I live in Kokomo and I see you live sorta close in NW Indiana and I've been trying to find someone local or close to get discus from. Just let me know if you have any available or know of anyone who does? My email is suzukirider and that's at @yahoo