PDA

View Full Version : OMG

Orange Crush
08-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Okay, so now I have another pair that decided to start spawning. :(
I started out this hobby of discus keeping thinking I would have a nice 75 G DT of 6 discus. I never looked into breeding because I did not want to do this until we got a bigger place (we are looking to buy a bigger house at the moment but it could be months before we find it, close, and move in) and I honestly thought that since this was my 1st attempt at discus that I would be lucky to keep them alive. Breed? HA!
So a couple of weeks ago I had 2 discus decide to pair up and lay eggs in the DT and were really stressing out the other discus so I had to move them into their own tank for everyone's well being. Now they have attatched fry.
Today I had another 2 discus decide to pair up and lay eggs in the DT and they are beating the Sh*t out of the other 2 discus left in the tank. Grrrr.
So now I need a tank for the attatched fry of the 1st pair to grow out in.
A tank for the other pair,
a tank for their spawn if they end up being a confirmed pair
and another tank to QT some discus to put into the 75 G DT so I do not have just 2 discus in there.
I really do not want to do all of that but I do need to seperate the 4 discus in the 75 G.
Would it work if I bought a 60 G and put the 2 picked on runts into it, let them heal up and leave them there until the fry from the original bredding pair need the tank? Then I could just put the 2 back into the 75 G and hope it works out??? Also, since the 2nd breeding pair will still be in the community DT hopefull the eggs/ wrigglers get eaten.
Thoughts??? (I hope that made sense. lol)

Second Hand Pat
08-01-2012, 08:52 PM
You know what will happen with the luck you have going is the runts will pair up and you will have three pairs. :D

Poco
08-01-2012, 08:58 PM
You know what will happen with the luck you have going is the runts will pair up and you will have three pairs. :D

LOL. It sure seems that way. Six discus three pairs wow!

Orange Crush
08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Don't even joke like that Pat, it's not funny. :p

Keith Perkins
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Don't even joke like that Pat, it's not funny. :p

LOL. No, not funny at all, LOL.

Trier20
08-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Congrats!!! Looks likes it's time to buy some tanks! Hope you get that third pair! :)

Orange Crush
08-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I am sooo glad that I could post something to amuse all of you but what the hell do I do in this situation? I want more tanks after we move not before. Such a pita.
Mostly however, I am worried about the 2 getting picked on.

Trier20
08-01-2012, 11:05 PM
You could always put in a divider

Second Hand Pat
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
LOL. No, not funny at all, LOL.

No. Not funny at all...(grins behind my hand :p ).

DiscusDrew
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Dividers become a necessity sometimes, thats your easiest solution imo. Dont always have the ability to put up as many tanks as might be ideal. Also remember it will most likely be to your benefit to keep the fry with parents for about a month or so. It makes their care much much easier overall, though yes you obviously will need a tank eventually.

dpete9
08-02-2012, 12:02 AM
or ... If you really really don't want the hassle of the spawning. Now that you have learned who is male and who is female could you trade off the females, for example, for more males? Would peace prevail once again in the DT?

Orange Crush
08-02-2012, 01:58 AM
No. Not funny at all...(grins behind my hand :p ).
I love you gals/guys but sometimes you suck just a little....

Keith Perkins
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Eggcrate dividers (florescent light covers that look like mini ice cube trays) cut to fit make good dividers, though fry can and will swim right on through it and may disappear on the other side. Of course they may disappear with the parents too. Though actually you don't really want fry at the moment, so maybe that's not a big deal. Of course when you're selling juvies it always helps to have more than one kind available.

Second Hand Pat
08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
On the plus side of all these is that your fish are healthy and happy.

LizStreithorst
08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Since you don't want this happening I'd go with a divider and let the fry get eaten by the runts. Nothing better than live food, you know.

Orange Crush
08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
It's an acrylic tank, there is no way to put a divider in unless it is very flexable. The "eggcrate" stuff would not fit through the 9x15" opening.

LizStreithorst
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
You cant. Not in an acrlic tank.

Just leave them be and the fry will be eaten and you won't have to worry about it. They'll just be eaten sooner. I know it's hard, but you don't have the tank space you need. Sorry.

Bill63SG
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
It's an acrylic tank, there is no way to put a divider in unless it is very flexable. The "eggcrate" stuff would not fit through the 9x15" opening.Poret foam would work,but you wouldnt get it in time.Could check out for future use.

Trier20
08-02-2012, 07:01 PM
There has for to be some kind of plastic mesh you can buy to wrap around the eggcrate,right? If there isn't there should be. You could buy sheets of filter pads and wrap it with that. It may not look the best but if would work for the time until your potent foam arrives.

yusufm52
08-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I would just go and buy an acrylic sheet cut it to the size I want drill holes in it and put it in place. And they also look neat, better than egg crates in the tank. Oh! And congrats for the fry.. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Keith Perkins
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Um, she can't get anything solid that's big enough to divide the tank through the acrylic tank opening.

Poret foam would work, Hans use to have it available.

Bill63SG
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Um, she can't get anything solid that's big enough to divide the tank through the acrylic tank opening.

Poret foam would work, Hans use to have it available.Got mine from Swiss Tropicals.They sell various size's if you don't want a full sheet.