PDA

View Full Version : Tennis ball size - feeding regime?

shrimper
08-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Hi all,

Great reading here and learning lots, but I cant seem to grasp how much I should be feeding a tennis ball size discus.

Are they still juveniles, if so how often should I feed?

thank you all in advance

dpete9
08-05-2012, 07:23 AM
hmm that's easy let them tell you how much.. feed them an amount that they will eat and not lose interest in it. for mine that means about a little smaller than a dime sized piece of beef heart every feeding.
oh and again I feed as long as they have interest. mine can eat 6-8 times a day before they decide they had enough.

shrimper
08-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi thank you,

Is that a dime piece feed for each juvie, I have 6 in a 4 foot tank?

dpete9
08-05-2012, 08:31 AM
that's what mine eat. I use dime as an example. about the thickness of a dime too. try that.. see if they can eat it all without getting bored of it.. if they get bored of it lower it down to less.

shrimper
08-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you Pete :)

dpete9
08-05-2012, 08:47 AM
you're welcome. and welcome to SD

DiscusDrew
08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Lol and just fyi once they're the size if tennis balls you can measure in inches or centimeters ;) Just so you know, it made me smile though lol

dpete9
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Lol and just fyi once they're the size if tennis balls you can measure in inches or centimeters ;) Just so you know, it made me smile though lol
Ha ha me too!!!!!!!!!!

shrimper
08-06-2012, 05:08 AM
hahaaha but tennis ball is so much easier and it provides a simple visual representation :)

ps I had to google an images of a dime (no dimes in Australia) :)

6 to 8 times :juggle: I will order an auto feeder.

I must be under feeding my fish, I thought twice a day was enough. :(

dpete9
08-06-2012, 05:21 AM
they are small yet, they're going to need lots of food and lots of clean water to grow big.

agwe
08-06-2012, 07:11 AM
i feed them only once a day in the evening.. enough that they lose interest to eat more... I also clean up the tank after 2 hours and change the water 30% so that they eat only clean food. Will this suffice? :confused: feeding twice a day or more is out of my schedule. :(

dpete9
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
i feed them only once a day in the evening.. enough that they lose interest to eat more... I also clean up the tank after 2 hours and change the water 30% so that they eat only clean food. Will this suffice? :confused: feeding twice a day or more is out of my schedule. :(
Ganesh, are yours adults? When I say 6-8 times a day that's for max growth when you want them to grow large fast. Shrimper says his are "tennis ball size" that means his are either juvies or very stunted adults.