PDA

View Full Version : rust on utility pump in aging barrel

Rummy
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I was inspecting the submersible utility pump that I keep in my aging barrel. It is quite clean except for the areas surrounding the three screws that hold the screen. They have rust on them. I am wondering if this is rust is enough to leach any toxins into the water. Is this something that I can simply ignore, or should I take some action? I have been using the pump for a year now, with no problems at all. However, I would like to prevent any potential issues if they do exist.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

dbfzurowski
08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi,
Take screws out and take it to a hardware store. There you will find stainless steel screws that will never rust :)

DiscusDrew
08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
That's good advice, but I still would like anyone with a background in chemistry perhaps to answer directly about potential issues from iron oxidization... I have made dividers with suction cups that I was always concerned about the subsequent rust on the pieces if metal attached to them. Completely different circumstance but same question needing answering.

Rummy
08-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Hi,
Take screws out and take it to a hardware store. There you will find stainless steel screws that will never rust :)

Thanks for the idea!

Rummy
08-10-2012, 08:03 AM
That's good advice, but I still would like anyone with a background in chemistry perhaps to answer directly about potential issues from iron oxidization... I have made dividers with suction cups that I was always concerned about the subsequent rust on the pieces if metal attached to them. Completely different circumstance but same question needing answering.

I agree. I hope someone has an answer. I have used iron as fertilizer for my planted tanks. However, this could be a totally different situation.

boscobear
08-10-2012, 09:50 AM
If I was replacing these screws, I'd look for brass screws, or even plastic @ Lowes or Homedepot. There are quite a few different types of Stainless Steel, and some of the cheaper types, check out those cheapo stainless barbecues in peoples back yards, they can still oxidize, and secrete iron-oxide into the water. This is not good. Big difference between the 300 series, and 400 series stainless

lipadj46
08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
From a chemist's point of opinion FWIW... Iron oxide is insoluble in water and is not harmful to fish (within reason). The iron you fertilize aquatic plants with is chelated so the iron will stay in solution for a short while for the plants to absorb. Stainless steel screws would be better though from a pump maintenance point of view. Before chelated iron fertilizers were available to aquarists, planted tank enthusiasts added iron filings, nails etc to their substrate for the iron, this is very innefficient but seemed to get the job done. Also people use black beauty blasting grit as aquarium substrate and that is known to contain bits of iron.

Rummy
08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
From a chemist's point of opinion FWIW... Iron oxide is insoluble in water and is not harmful to fish (within reason). The iron you fertilize aquatic plants with is chelated so the iron will stay in solution for a short while for the plants to absorb. Stainless steel screws would be better though from a pump maintenance point of view. Before chelated iron fertilizers were available to aquarists, planted tank enthusiasts added iron filings, nails etc to their substrate for the iron, this is very innefficient but seemed to get the job done. Also people use black beauty blasting grit as aquarium substrate and that is known to contain bits of iron.

Great information. Thank you. That answers my questions.

Rummy
08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
If I was replacing these screws, I'd look for brass screws, or even plastic @ Lowes or Homedepot. There are quite a few different types of Stainless Steel, and some of the cheaper types, check out those cheapo stainless barbecues in peoples back yards, they can still oxidize, and secrete iron-oxide into the water. This is not good. Big difference between the 300 series, and 400 series stainless

I had heard about brass fixtures working well at sea and seaside homes, since it does not corrode. Never thought of using it under water. Good to know. Doesn't brass get a greenish patina? Can I assume that it is harmless?

DiscusDrew
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you very much, I really needed to know for an instance with some dividers. I would assume no problems from using suction cups with metalclasps to hold dividers in place.