PDA

View Full Version : alittle salt mabey

rerdragon1977
08-17-2012, 09:32 PM
I just added a pair to my planted tank. they are alittle skittish which is normal but i was thinking of addding alittle salt to ease them through this trasition. How much awuarium salyt do i add to a 90 gallon that is both fine for the fish and plants?

Orange Crush
08-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Salt will not help. Only time and patience.

rerdragon1977
08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
done and done, thanks

shawnhu
08-18-2012, 03:50 AM
1 tablespoon of table salt per 5 gallons of water is fine for Discus, and most plants will not be phased by it. I usually use diamond kosher salt.

Leaving the salt in the water long term will affect the plant's ability to absorb minerals, and will start dying. I wouldn't leave it in there for more than 2 weeks.

Salt can help Discus regain their slime coat, and in cases of bloating, Epsom salt can assist in bowel movement. Unless you have either of these symptoms, salt won't really help.

Good luck with the pair.

Orange Crush
08-18-2012, 04:01 AM
1 tablespoon of table salt per 5 gallons of water is fine for Discus, and most plants will not be phased by it. I usually use diamond kosher salt.

Leaving the salt in the water long term will affect the plant's ability to absorb minerals, and will start dying. I wouldn't leave it in there for more than 2 weeks.

Salt can help Discus regain their slime coat, and in cases of bloating, Epsom salt can assist in bowel movement.
All of which is irrelevent for rerdragon1977's situation.