PDA

View Full Version : Discus to learn with

cweber
08-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Well I have been reading here for some time now and finally got my reef tank tore down. I was waiting to order some discus this fall but my brother in law gave me his. They are just over a year old. He had them in his planted tank so they are a bit stunted and the Marlboro reds have peppering due to his black background. I got 3 reds and 2 turquoise. Also got 3 cardinals and a rummynose and a few plants which I will pot an leave the tank BB for now. I have two 20 long tanks plumbed together under my 125 gallon display. The tank will be lit with my t5 fixture with only one bulb in for now. The tank will be controlled and monitored by an apex jr. Temp is 84, ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are around 5, gh and kh are 120 and 75 (can't remember which was which right now), ph 7.6. 75214. Thanks for looking.

cweber
08-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Forgot to mention that after I give these a go I will add to them if all goes well.

Oscarsx
08-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Looks like you know what you are doing my friend, Sure they may be a bit stunted, but with good care and a good diet, they'll end up looking good.. good luck with your new fish and welcome!

strawberryblonde
08-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Definitely sounds like you've done your homework and know what to do for them! =)

The only thing I'd add is quick advice on a feeding regimen. Since they are already a year old and stunted, you probably won't get a whole lot of growth out of them, but with several feedings a day of good quality discus foods you might see an inch or two over the next 6 months.

I had one discus who was quite a bit smaller than the others (very timid and shy). I was convinced that he'd be stunted and never reach 6". He continued to grow VERY slowly for 14 months and is now well over 6". Sooo, what I'm saying is feed them good food, feed it often, keep up with water changes and see if they start growing for you.

Keith Perkins
08-19-2012, 08:33 AM
I agree with Toni, pretty much every word. Great looking water perimeters.

cweber
08-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the replies. I received sbhf and fdbw this week. Also have pe mysis left over from SW. Should I feed 4 times daily? The smallest is 3 inches the middle 3 are 3.5 and the big one is just over 4 inches. As for water the tank was filled with RO because he had them in filtered water. I think they will slowly be changed to tap. Tap ph is about 7.8 but has about 500 tds. I hope to have a water softener installed in the next few weeks.

Keith Perkins
08-19-2012, 09:03 AM
For the most part RO is used with breeding pairs, you should be able to switch them over to tap.

cweber
08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
How gradual should it be or does it matter?

Second Hand Pat
08-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Make the transition in thirds. 1/3 tap to 2/3 RO for the next WC etc, then half of each for the next and 2/3 tap to 1/3 RO for the next and 100% tap from then on.

Keith Perkins
08-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I usually do it in 1/4s, but not for any specific reason. You're likely raising your pH and discus aren't bothered by that like they are going the other direction.

cweber
08-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Awesome. Thanks everyone. I will try and get some pics of my setup later.

cweber
08-20-2012, 10:46 PM

dpete9
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Little stunted but so what. Enjoy them!
They are eating well, which i always tell people is a good indication they are feeling well and happy. I've found the first indication things are off is when they lose their appetite. They'll grow more. Yes feed as often as they will eat and you are able to, while still maintaining water perimeters (easier with straight tap)
I notice you have some coraline algae still in the tank, that stuff can be quite a chore to remove. :-) I bet it won't be too long and you'll be adding some other discus??
Best of luck

shawnhu
08-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Pretty cool fish! Hope they so well for you. I too received my fish a little stunted, but they are breeding for me now, good luck!

cweber
08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks everyone. Yes the coraline is a pain but its on plastic and I didnt want to get carried away. I do plan on more discus after we get the floors refinished. I didnt want any fish until after but he was tearing his tank down and I could refuse free fish.