PDA

View Full Version : Peppered Discus -> does it mean it's stressed?

shrimper
08-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Hi I a new to discus and certain facets of its behaviour still confuses me.

For example if a pigeon blood red discus is peppered does it mean its stressed?

Swancici
08-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Depending on your background. Is it dark or light? Usually dark backgrounds ect cause pb to pepper.

dprais1
08-19-2012, 07:33 AM
it might be because of background?substrate color OR/AND from stress.

I just moved my fish and my PB all showed a little pepper during the move and for a few hours after

Keith Perkins
08-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Also could be related to water quality or genetics.

dprais1
08-20-2012, 12:09 AM
I had a couple of PB that just always showed a lot of peppering

Same tank same setup but I have some PB from Josie and Kenny and they only show the slightest peppering every so often. So genetics can be a big factor

shrimper
08-20-2012, 05:04 AM
thank you all

here are two photos, as a reference they are 4 inches

The first a few days after I got them home.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/ipv6ready/discus.jpg

Today

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww196/ipv6ready/discus2.jpg

* Red discus face is whiter in the first photo but that is only because of the flash.

As far as the behaviour is concerned it seems it is number2, even though it is the smallest of the four..

As far as water parameters are concerned

am 0
ni 0
na 10
temp 89
wc about 50% every second day
45g but since it planted bit a less, but I am hoping I will get one to pair up so I can transfer then to a different community tank.

shrimper
08-20-2012, 05:10 AM
One more thing to add.. the peppering now is a lot more pronounced, especially its face, pectoral fin and tail is almost black.

I don't mind at all I think it actually gives it an accent but wanted to confirm for my peace of mind that it's not stressed.

dprais1
08-20-2012, 05:41 AM
No expert here but I believe 10 is high for nitrates (for discus). believe should be under 5. your blue diamond in the second pic looks dark in comparison to the first pic???

If you like the peppering then that is a bonus for you but I wouldn't say that stress isn't the cause, not enough info and I don't feel qualified to answer if all the info was there. If you are concerned open a thread in the disease section but fill out the questionaire!

Really like the white discus btw

shrimper
08-20-2012, 06:25 AM
the blue is not much darker in real life, it's the way it was leaning.

The 10 nitrate is rounded up, it is between 5 to 10 on my API kit. I might check on acceptable Na level, if ten is bad I might have to step up to daily changes.

dprais1
08-20-2012, 06:49 AM
According to

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

nitrAtes from .6 to 8.0. but less better. I know i've read below 5 is the goal

Brent1972
08-20-2012, 06:57 AM
the blue is not much darker in real life, it's the way it was leaning.

The 10 nitrate is rounded up, it is between 5 to 10 on my API kit. I might check on acceptable Na level, if ten is bad I might have to step up to daily changes.

My nitrates are between 10-15 with no problems , before you start worrying read this http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/586,0,waterchange,index,0.html

shrimper
08-20-2012, 07:21 AM
thanks, I will have to monitor my wc.

I just did a 50% change and now level is minimal.

So I am presuming it fluctuates between 1 or 2 straight after water change to between 7 or 8 on the 2nd day just before water change.

By the way, must be a difference on test kits, my API kit for nitrate goes 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 and 160.

With a reference ppm (mg/l),

so my reference to 1 or 2 and 7 or 8 above is my estimate of where the shades of colour sit in between the reading.

ps thanks I like the white on too,

Brent1972
08-20-2012, 07:28 AM
thanks, I will have to monitor my wc.

I just did a 50% change and now level is minimal.

So I am presuming it fluctuates between 1 or 2 straight after water change to between 7 or 8 on the 2nd day just before water change.

By the way, must be a difference on test kits, my API kit for nitrate goes 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 and 160.

With a reference ppm (mg/l),

so my reference to 1 or 2 and 7 or 8 above is my estimate of where the shades of colour sit in between the reading.

ps thanks I like the white on too,

PPM & MG/L are the same,http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Convert_mgl_to_ppm

cubert
08-20-2012, 08:36 AM
random question im throwing in here, can peppering be reversed or once it sets in is it there permanently?

Larry Bugg
08-20-2012, 10:24 AM
random question im throwing in here, can peppering be reversed or once it sets in is it there permanently?

Yes and no. A lot of work has been done to remove the peppering from Pigeons with great success. That said, poorer quality pigeons may pepper no matter what you do. With a good quality if they are peppering due to the darkness of the tank (painted back and or sides, substrate, ect) then they can be moved to a light colored tank and the peppering will clear up pretty quickly.