PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a Eco-systems sump

drew22to375
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Anybody here use one of those Eco-system Sumps. Was wondering if it was worth the high cost. I am considering one for my 180Gal tank or maybe a DIY version. Anybody have any experience with one? But $900 is pretty pricy. Here is the link.

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com/products/freshwater/eco-filters/deluxe-filter-system

kareen
08-26-2012, 12:26 AM
you be better to make your own out of a tank and just get the mud.This is what I going to do

Second Hand Pat
08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Drew,

I do not have an Eco-system Sumps but the sump itself is a simple three chambered sump which you could build yourself with a 55 gallon tank and some glass or acrylic pieces. I would even suggests craiglist. I have seen plenty of sumps there. The rest you can piece together pretty easy I suspect. The flow rates are most likely for reef systems on the Eco-system website.

Pat

DiscusLoverJeff
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
There are some good YouTube videos on building a sump like the one you're mentioning. The addition of the mud is all you need. On the YouTube home page, just type in the search area diy sump.

Good luck.

joanstone
08-26-2012, 08:45 AM
You could look into finding a used tank and using Poret foam for dividers. I use a 55 that someone gave me with a broken center brace and two Poret foam dividers with my return pump in the center chamber. The outer chambers contain kaldnes media and sponge filters that are always biologically ready for new tank set ups. I don't see why you couldn't keep a plastic tray/container with the mud in a chamber as well. I used to do that in my saltwater sumps -a remote deep sand bed. The sump I am describing is on my 220.

a volar
08-27-2012, 03:36 PM
You could look into finding a used tank and using Poret foam for dividers. I use a 55 that someone gave me with a broken center brace and two Poret foam dividers with my return pump in the center chamber. The outer chambers contain kaldnes media and sponge filters that are always biologically ready for new tank set ups. I don't see why you couldn't keep a plastic tray/container with the mud in a chamber as well. I used to do that in my saltwater sumps -a remote deep sand bed. The sump I am describing is on my 220.

+1

ashtricks
08-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Drew,

I do not have an Eco-system Sumps but the sump itself is a simple three chambered sump which you could build yourself with a 55 gallon tank and some glass or acrylic pieces. I would even suggests craiglist. I have seen plenty of sumps there. The rest you can piece together pretty easy I suspect. The flow rates are most likely for reef systems on the Eco-system website.

Pat

Hi Pat,
Do you use miracle mud with your sump? any comments on that? I have not found any advantage of the miracle mud for freshwater. But I guess experience always trumps information on the net.

Trier20
08-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi Pat,
Do you use miracle mud with your sump? any comments on that? I have not found any advantage of the miracle mud for freshwater. But I guess experience always trumps information on the net.

I used miracle mud in my sump. Ha a bunch of plants and seemed to work well. Input a layer of black sand over it to keep it where it needs to be. There is a bunch of crawlies in it that will grow in time. I had a hatch of some flying insects some white worms and a TON of snails that grew in mine. Quite the little ecosystem you get in it.

Second Hand Pat
08-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi Pat,

Ashish, I have not used miracle mud.

ashtricks
08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Pat.

I used miracle mud in my sump. Ha a bunch of plants and seemed to work well. Input a layer of black sand over it to keep it where it needs to be. There is a bunch of crawlies in it that will grow in time. I had a hatch of some flying insects some white worms and a TON of snails that grew in mine. Quite the little ecosystem you get in it.
I am not sure if I am comfortable with flying insects hatch from my sump. LOL. If there are a bunch of critters in the miracle mud, I am sure I am not going to put it on my discus tank. I guess I am going to set up my own experiment soon. Compare a miracle mud sump with a dirted sump. One more item in my to-do list.

Trier20
08-28-2012, 07:31 PM
I was going to say I've heard of people digging up clay out of their yard and putting in there

ashtricks
08-28-2012, 07:51 PM
I was going to say I've heard of people digging up clay out of their yard and putting in there
I am probably going to end up doing the same thing. Either dig dirt up from the back yard. Or get a sack of organic top soil and use that.

drew22to375
08-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I will probably make my own sump with the miracle mud if I go this rout.