PDA

View Full Version : San Merah vs Super San Merah

twocat
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Why do they call some discus San Merah and some Super San Merah?
Is it do to the color, or is it just a name to sell them?

hedut
08-26-2012, 10:07 AM
never heard such super San merah, I think seller just make grade on what they selling base on the color of the fish

LizStreithorst
08-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I could be wrong but I believe that if it's called "Super" it's a higher bodied fish. If you point me to pictures I will let you know if I can see a difference between the two.

strawberryblonde
08-26-2012, 01:27 PM
I've checked google and can only find one person selling them so far. Mac's Discus has them and it looks the same as a San Merah, so I have no clue what the difference might be...sorry.

nikond70s
08-27-2012, 02:33 AM
most likely just for marketing. the "super" just makes it sounds better.

strawberryblonde
08-27-2012, 02:39 AM
I did some more checking and it looks like they're crossing San Merah's with Super Red strains. Maybe that's where the Super part of the name stems from?

Poco
08-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Off topic. I was checking out the breeder's website and came across lots of unheard of strains.

What do you think of this

http://macsdiscus.com/Red-Spotted-Saffron-Discus.html

Doesnt it look like a leopard with a fancy name and $$$?

Larry Grenier
08-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm still looking for "Rocky Road" discus :-)

Eddie
08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
You'll find all sorts of crazy names. Its a marketing thing. A San Merah is a San Merah, anything before or after the name is fluff.

pastry
08-31-2012, 09:35 PM
yeah, it's all subjective. seems to be not a very established name per a certain description of discus. my initial thought is with strawberryblonde... more red. Thanks for posting this though because I have my own interest in this. I have rose reds from kenny/forrest and then flanked by some Piwow RT's from Harry Marsh but want to (sometime this year) add some San Merahs. I'd like the "Super" San Merahs but yes, you can search here and on google all you want and find different things. That's why I prefer to see a pic before purchasing. I want San Merahs that are pretty darn red with a blue halo but I'll take "standard" blue San Merahs if I can find them! Let me know, twocat, if you find out anything that will help me as well!!!