PDA

View Full Version : Whiteworm Culture Purchase Report

BobDaniel
08-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Recently I bought white corm cultures from two different suppliers.

First I ordered from this guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290702626642?var=590066329683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought two cultures from him, The first was a whiteworm then I decided to try a redworm culture. What you see in the ad is not what you get. The redworm culture held perhaps a dozen worms at best, and the whiteworm culture had a tablespoon of soil and maybe 3 dozen worms. It took about 2 1/2 weeks from order to delivery. The culture stunk like .......bad. 8 bucks total cost with nothing to show for my money.

The other deal was with Vickie M on Aquabid. She shipped in a priority mail box lined with 1 inch thick styro. The culture was in a small butter container and taped closed. She also used a small cold pack.

These worms arrived in much better condition and held a lot of worms. Although the cost was much higher (14 bucks total), she did not cut corners like the other fellow. I would recommend Vickie for your white worm starter culture. Her handle on Aquabid is Vicszoo.

BobDaniel
08-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Depending on your needs they can be cultured several ways. I used to have six of seven fish shipping styros filled with 3 to 4 inches of moist dirt and kept on the floor of the basement. I fed mine bread with plain yogurt smeared on both sides. I had a sheet of plexiglass covering that and a lid on the culture. Once rolling, these cultures would meet my needs for the small hatchery we had. 1 box used once a week provided plenty of worms...use a different box each day.

Today I have downsized and culture the worms in those Glad plastic containers stored in a cooler with an icepack. The worms like a 50 to 60 degree dark environment.

BobDaniel
08-27-2012, 08:43 PM
The Ebay guy has offered me a refund and I have accepted his offer.

BobDaniel
08-27-2012, 08:49 PM
When I visited Peter Thode's Gwynnbrook Farm for a DSG event serveral years ago, he showed us his whiteworm refrigerator. He had a old refrigerator filled with culture boxes top to bottom. This system provided him plenty of white worms and he has a huge operation. He was getting worms by the literal handfull.

He also has an incredable daphnia culture system.

BobDaniel
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
I was/am not getting enough worms to feed my measly seven fish based on the cultures I got. Granted, the cultures are doing well but I am a long way from having the entire top of the dirt covered with white worms like I saw at Peter Thodes. Consequently I placed an order last night for a large WW culture and a small daphnia magna culture from LFS Cultures. I'll update this thread after they arrive. I am also considering getting a used small 8 bottle wine cooler to use to control the environment for the worms better.

CliffsDiscus
09-24-2012, 06:47 PM
When I visited Peter Thode's Gwynnbrook Farm for a DSG event serveral years ago, he showed us his whiteworm refrigerator. He had a old refrigerator filled with culture boxes top to bottom. This system provided him plenty of white worms and he has a huge operation. He was getting worms by the literal handfull.

He also has an incredable daphnia culture system.

He also had a room with the air conditioner going strictly for the whiteworms.

Cliff

BobDaniel
10-06-2012, 11:29 PM
I received my large culture of white worms from LFS Cultures. For 27 bucks, this was the best deal yet! I got enough worms to really have a sustainable culture and feed my few fish immediately! It came in a qt container similar to those you get your sweet and sour soup in from the Chinese restaurant. I did not receive my culture right after ordering. After a week I called and he said he was waiting for cooler weather.