PDA

View Full Version : What and how would you do with a 20g?

DiscusBR
09-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi folks,

I have a 20g sitting idle at home. It is too small to work as a breeding or hospital tank and I am considereing setting it up for smaller fishes, like rasboras and may be a betta. I am planning a sand substrate, a piece of manzanita and maybe some hardy plants, like anubias. I wonder if you can help me decide on:

1. Population: what fishes would you have in a 20g?

2. Filtration: I have a canister and two sponge filters in my 80g, but I donīt know what would work for a 20g. Would a single sponge filter be enough?

Thanks in advance.

Bill63SG
09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Over here,20galH is pretty standard to use as a breeding tank.Three of my pairs are in 20gal right now.

Larry Grenier
09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Another option would be heavily planted with a school of cories on the bottom and maybe 1 school of tetras in the upper zone. I personally like large numbers of fewer species rather that a bunch of meandering un-related fish.

DiscusBR
09-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Over here,20galH is pretty standard to use as a breeding tank.Three of my pairs are in 20gal right now.

I have a larger 26g that I can use for those purposes. I have Cuipeua discus and folks here in the forum have said wilds prefer larger tanks for breeding.

Another option would be heavily planted with a school of cories on the bottom and maybe 1 school of tetras in the upper zone. I personally like large numbers of fewer species rather that a bunch of meandering un-related fish.

That sounds good. I agree that few-strains-tanks are more interesting. What about having a beta? And what about filtration?

Lenin
09-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Do you already have a hospital tank?

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2

MKD
09-06-2012, 01:49 PM
You can use it as shrimp tank with moss and sponge filter or HOB filter :)

Chicago Discus
09-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi folks,

I have a 20g sitting idle at home. It is too small to work as a breeding or hospital tank and I am considereing setting it up for smaller fishes, like rasboras and may be a betta. I am planning a sand substrate, a piece of manzanita and maybe some hardy plants, like anubias. I wonder if you can help me decide on:

1. Population: what fishes would you have in a 20g?

2. Filtration: I have a canister and two sponge filters in my 80g, but I donīt know what would work for a 20g. Would a single sponge filter be enough?

Thanks in advance.

A breeding pair of Discus LOL and a sponge filter would work fine.....Josie

ashtricks
09-06-2012, 02:23 PM
An experiment tank! testing out different filtering techniques, water chemistry, lighting, plants, fertilizers, foods endless possibilities....

DiscusBR
09-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Do you already have a hospital tank?

Yes, the 26g.

You can use it as shrimp tank with moss and sponge filter or HOB filter :)

Sorry, I am no big fan of shrimps, unless they are in my dinner plate :p So would a sponge filter sufice? I am no big fan of HOBs.

A breeding pair of Discus LOL and a sponge filter would work fine.....Josie

Josie, I am just a humble beginner :) I only have one 80g tank with 7 wild Cuipeuas. Two of them have paired, but no eggs yet. If they make it work, I will transfer them to the 26g. I do not have room or extra tanks for another breeding project.

An experiment tank! testing out different filtering techniques, water chemistry, lighting, plants, fertilizers, foods endless possibilities....

Huumm... Sounds interesting, but too complicated :)

Chicago Discus
09-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry I was just kidding, I like the idea of a shrimp tank.......Josie

ExReefer
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
If it is a 20G long, I would recommend some shell dwellers from Lake Tanganyika. I prefer Gold Ocellatus as I currently keep them in my fish room. Lots of good color and personality. They don't need much room to thrive. A simple sponge filter and weekly 20-30% WC's will keep them in great health. Feed once or twice a day in very small amounts. Water temp 78 deg. F. Tap water treated with Prime or SAFE.

BobDaniel
09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Easy! I'd plop a sponge filter on it and add a daphnia culture.

Chicago Discus
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Easy! I'd plop a sponge filter on it and add a daphnia culture.

I want to learn how to grow dafnia.....Josie

MKD
09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I am no big fan of shrimps, unless they are in my dinner plate :p So would a sponge filter sufice? I am no big fan of HOBs.

yes, sponge filter is good enough for shrimp tank.

decoy50
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
A pair of any apistogrammas and a group of small tetras(cardinals or flame tetras). A well planted 20 w/your water parameters that you listed in another thread would be perfect for apistos.