PDA

View Full Version : Filter choices

Marty Miller
09-08-2012, 11:09 PM
I recently decided to set up a 55 gallon tank for discus. I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years. I currently have a Marineland 400 as my filter. My question is would it be too over kill if I added another filter? Maybe a Aquaclear 500 running bio media and floss? Any suggestions for a new old timer would be appreciated. Yes I know there is no substitute for water changes. I would like to keep 4 - 5 discus, tank is currently being cycled. Thanks.

nickfish39
09-09-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a couple of questions for your set-up. Do you plan on a Bare Bottom or gravel based? Planted or faux decor? In either situation that is a lot of filter for that size tank as long as you are doing an adequate amount of water changes. I definitely would not add more to it. There will be too much water movement for the fish. You will also want to figure out a way to stop all of your food from going straight into the filter... Just my 2 cents :)

Poco
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Add a sponge filter instead of the AC 500(now it is called AC 110). You can also add a prefilter to the intake for Marineland. Just search for prefilter and you will get few good threads.

Welcome back!

Marty Miller
09-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Tank is currently set up with a gravel bottom, and has fake plant. I will be adding real plants over the next month. Thanks for the suggestions!

Marty Miller
09-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Is 4 -5 grown discus to much for this size of tank?

Poco
09-09-2012, 09:41 AM
6 will be a better number as they are schooling fish. 55g is not a ideal tank for discus because of lack of width (12 inch). If I were you i will go bare bottom tank no substrate or plants to begin with.

By grown discus do you mean full adults +6' fish?

Marty Miller
09-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I would like to start with discus in the three to four inch range. I thought that would be a good size to start back in with. Most of the work of rasing smaller discus would be done. I live about three hours from Central Ohio Discus, and he seems to have a good selection of discus in that size and maybe a little larger, and a good reputation for the discus he sells.

Poco
09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Good choice!

Eddie
09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
To answer your original question, you can add as many filters but it may create too much flow. For this reason, I like to mix filters, for example 1 HOB (like your 400) and 1 sponge filter.

strawberryblonde
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
To answer your original question, you can add as many filters but it may create too much flow. For this reason, I like to mix filters, for example 1 HOB (like your 400) and 1 sponge filter.

+1

And don't forget the prefilter on the Marineland. =)

Marty Miller
09-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I really enjoy the forumn looking around and getting the info I need.