PDA

View Full Version : Best way to do daly water changes???

AD27
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Looking to get back in to the hobby after a long dry spell. I have not had discus for a long time. Are water changes required daily? What is the best method? Is there an easy way to these daily?

bronzie8
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
If you have juvies, a good 80% WC a day and pound them with food. Even 2 WC a day would be better, clean water and lots of food. If they are adults, you can siphon the bottom every day and do a big WC at least once a week...depending also on what size of tank you have and how many Discus.

Trier20
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Daily yes. On my grow out tanks I try to get at least 95% once a day somedays will get two. Other tanks will get 50% daily. As far as the easiest way is have your tank in reach of a window or bathtub to run your waste water to. If you have a small ph fluctuation while again you can refill with a python and be fine that way. the less buckets you have to carry the happier you will be.

BobDaniel
09-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I would suggest getting a Python hose sytem to change your water. You'll never use buckets again! It will roll up and fit nicely under your aquarium. I took the gravel cleaner off and replaced it with a 1/2 inch diameter length of PVC. It gets even better suction and works great on a bare bottom tank.

Eddie
09-13-2012, 05:49 PM
It depends on your tank size, stocking load, fish age, filtration, food you feed and the actual composition of your water. The blanket statement that they are required every day doesn't fly. There are many systems/set-ups out there that are built for ease of draining and filling. You'll have to do some research on what system best suits your needs. Even using pythons are old school. You can have a totally plumbed set-up that involves only turning a valve or 2 and it all drains and fills.

bogia99
09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Bathtub philosophy , can't not get any easier than that :)

Larry Bugg
09-14-2012, 12:46 PM
It depends on your tank size, stocking load, fish age, filtration, food you feed and the actual composition of your water. The blanket statement that they are required every day doesn't fly. There are many systems/set-ups out there that are built for ease of draining and filling. You'll have to do some research on what system best suits your needs. Even using pythons are old school. You can have a totally plumbed set-up that involves only turning a valve or 2 and it all drains and fills.

+1
Too many variables to give a pat answer. I have tanks that get a daily change and I have tanks that get changed every 3 or 4 days. I turn a valve and the tank drains. Turn another valve and it fills back up. Lots of choices. If I only had one tank I would probably use a python.

Harry Marsh
09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Wayne pc4 transfer pump!

Oscarsx
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
+1
Too many variables to give a pat answer. I have tanks that get a daily change and I have tanks that get changed every 3 or 4 days. I turn a valve and the tank drains. Turn another valve and it fills back up. Lots of choices. If I only had one tank I would probably use a python.

I need that done to my tank! ;)

discus6628
09-16-2012, 03:49 AM
I am new to discus fish but have existing parrot fish which only require to water change once a week. Got a new 40G tank and plan to setup for the discus fish. Since discus need very clean water. Have anyone have any existing setup/design which could help make daily water change more easier? Picture will be great.