PDA

View Full Version : My breeding wall

AndLaw134
09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Started to build out my rack for some breeding pairs today On the north side of the fish room. The weathers and leaves are starting to turn work shop is my driveway so i don't want to be building out in december. With any luck i might have some pairs ready to try by then. Top rack will be able to fit 7-20 gal highs and the bottom rack 2-50 are the plan for the start of grow out tanks. I have 6-90 on the south wall if that all gets filled up I guess I am moving. Hard to take pictures in there not enough room to swing a dead cat specially with me in the room as I am such a slim guy I will try to post some tomorrow

Altum Nut
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
All sounds great Andrew. You know as well as I that our Canadain winters can hit without warning.
Really looking forward to photos.

Good luck with your build,
...Ralph

Poco
09-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Love to see some pics. The weather has been so up and down lately, best time to catch a cold as I have right now. Doing wc with a very runny nose is not fin at all.

AndLaw134
09-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Can't do it from my iPad so it will be later today. Doing water changes know and some other weekend fish stuff. Have to cut the grass as well

AndLaw134
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
So I got it all built today.The picture with the tanks are my grow out wall and curent fish stock. Sitting right know around 60 fish. The new rack will be the for 7 breeding tanks and 2 55 grow outs. Antone have any tanks for sale :) Will start to buy up some tanks over the next few weeks. Take them up to my dads work shop where he has a drill press so I can drill them and then hook them all up. Should be a 4- 6 weeks and I might have some water flowing.

Fish have anothe 3 or so months I think before they will be ready. Bought them all from HAns in May at 2.5" and the biggest are close to 6" or so.

Poco
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Bob has some surplus tanks for sale. Check it out.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99280-Surplus-tanks-for-sale

Your racks are looking good!

bogia99
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice !

AndLaw134
09-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks poco have not seen bob in a few years. Very nice man. I will send him a pm I am always amazed at this site you ask a question and someone knows the answer I this cause where to get tanks
Cheers
Andrew

Darren's Discus
09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice set up.

cheers

1oscar
09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Cool set up neat plumbing job I see you have
A wooded thumb. Lol when is visiting hours:)

AndLaw134
09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Visits might have to wait till the new year. Wood thumb came from my grandad he was a cabinet maker. Other grandad owned a fish and chips restaurant. guess that where i get my love for fish. Was reading a thread about eating discus yesterday Grandad never put one of them in a fryer that's for sure. Thanks for the kind words folks

AndLaw134
10-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Pick up on 50 gal from bob on the weekend. He had already sold the other 3. Should have some water running in the system by the end of October with a any luck

AndLaw134
12-07-2012, 07:01 AM
I received my order of breeding cones from Barb a few weeks ago. Put them in my grow out tanks and with in 5 days I had some eggs. Not ready with the breeding wall yet but I was up working on the plumbing last night.

I have discover a tool that is use to cut ridge PVC pipe. I used to use my chop saw, which was messy as the "plastic dust" stuck to everything. This new tool, simply cuts through the pipe like a pair of garden shears with no dust at all. I will post up some progress pictures on Saturday, with any luck.

But thinks are coming along. Nothing like another project just before the Christmas holiday's to add.

Cheers

Disgirl
12-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Just saw this thread, your fish wall looks great Andrew! Good luck with all those cones and all your pairs!
Barb

AndLaw134
12-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks Barb. It's a crazy time as the holidays are approaching to be expanding the fish room but I will get there soon enough The cones look great and the fish are eyeing them that's for sure. Should not be too much longer till I can move a few pairs over into the new set up, start playing some romantic music, light some candles and see what happens.

pastry
12-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Good grief, you've got nice hardwood floors, trim, and a clean set up... that's such a tidy fish room! Niiiiiice nice, Andrew.

AndLaw134
12-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks, my wife said I could build it but it had to look good, So i gutted the room and started from scratch she does really love me and the discus too. The hope is one day to have it pay for itself at least but I am a ways from that and have lots to learn. Keep checking back as I will post some pics shortly one I jet my breeding tanks up an running.

Darren's Discus
12-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Very nice.

cheers

SharkAquarium
03-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Nice room. What is the logic on your plumbing? Just open one value and draw down all the tanks on one level a few inches to the bulthead fitting level? Then fill it up with a hose?

g

AndLaw134
03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Nice room. What is the logic on your plumbing? Just open one value and draw down all the tanks on one level a few inches to the bulthead fitting level? Then fill it up with a hose?

g

g

I have a separate hose for vacuuming which I use to clean up the bottoms. Once I clean the bottoms I open a floor drain and the tank values and drain out the desired water. I have plastic extension tubes on the inside of my tanks which extend down about half way. Once I remove the water. I drain the pipes close up the floor drain and turn on my water pump, The aged water flows through the system into the tanks using the same pipe re fill the tanks.

Cheers andrew

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Been awhile since I had updated this but here is my video of my Discus Den. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl8cUOZK9co

cheers
andrew

DiscusLoverJeff
03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Great job Andrew. Looks awesome. The last 30 seconds are sideways, Lol. Can't get a look at your holding tank plumbing.

Great looking discus for sure. Beautiful shapes.

Poco
03-17-2013, 07:44 PM
http://youtu.be/bl8cUOZK9co

Very nice Andrew.

Trevor W
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Very Nice!
Are you planning on shipping in the future?
Its always good to see fellow Canadians doing great things. I wish you much success!

Disgirl
03-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Your discus den looks great Andrew, and you sure have lots of beautiful discus! Did you raise them all yourself? Glad to see my cones being so well used in such a nice fish room!
Barb

0Dgreen
03-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Very Nice! I hope to have something like this in the future, my tanks are scattered about the house at the moment =P

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Great job Andrew. Looks awesome. The last 30 seconds are sideways, Lol. Can't get a look at your holding tank plumbing.

Great looking discus for sure. Beautiful shapes.

We will fix that soon enough, I will send you some more select photos shortly

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Your discus den looks great Andrew, and you sure have lots of beautiful discus! Did you raise them all yourself? Glad to see my cones being so well used in such a nice fish room!
Barb

Thanks Barb. You cones are being used periodically but they are just practising still. All my fish are from Hans I got them last may as 3" baby's. they have grown a lot. Had very few troubles with them, they have started to pair off so with any luck your cones will be used much more in the future

AndLaw134
03-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Very Nice!
Are you planning on shipping in the future?
Its always good to see fellow Canadians doing great things. I wish you much success!

Once you get deep into this discus thing I think we always think about shipping and making it a business. Problem is not to many people make a living at it. One day I do hope to sell a bit to help pay my electrical bill, in a few months if I start to have some fry success I will have to sell off some of my stock to make room for babies. I will keep you in mind when it's that time.

Glad you like the set up

Cheers

Jeff O
03-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Awesome setup! Everything looks great!
-Jeff

SharkAquarium
03-18-2013, 04:43 AM
Awesome stock !!!

Bud Smith
03-18-2013, 05:06 AM
Andrew - you have a very organized and well kept fish room not to mention the nice discus - great job
I may have missed it but what are the dimensions of your fish room?

Darren's Discus
03-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Nice set up,nice fish !

Cheers

AndLaw134
03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Andrew - you have a very organized and well kept fish room not to mention the nice discus - great job
I may have missed it but what are the dimensions of your fish room?

Pepper, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The room is a lucky 14' x 8. Thanks for watching
Cheers
Andrew

rubinsteinnyc
03-26-2013, 04:20 PM
how big are the larger tanks and how much space is between the top of the tank and bottom of the 2x4 from the upper level?
very neat set up, nice work!

AndLaw134
03-26-2013, 09:42 PM
how big are the larger tanks and how much space is between the top of the tank and bottom of the 2x4 from the upper level?
very neat set up, nice work!

Glad you like it. Tanks are 70's 48"x 18" x 20"
Space between the top of the lower tank and the bottom of the top 2x4 is 91/4" Total opening is 30"

Pm me if you want a diagram. I can put one together for you in a day or two

Cheers
Andrew

rubinsteinnyc
03-26-2013, 10:34 PM
9.25inch correct? is it enough to access and do the necessary maintenance? no need for a diagram but thx, im just trying to build a wall unit for a 40x20x20" (3/8" glass) all glass tank and level up for 3 breeders or another 40x20x20

AndLaw134
03-27-2013, 07:11 AM
I have no problems with the 9.25". I gave BB tanks keep in mind with only a sponge filter and a breeding cone in them. But I have room for my vacuum hose system and have no problem with nets or my arms getting stuck

Look luck. Always like to see a pic of a project

Cheers
Andrew

jsalas623
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks great! Very well done!