PDA

View Full Version : The European championship in Dortmund on 29 and 30 september 2012.

Wildcaught dutchman
09-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I have been today to this championship.It really was a disaster.A lot of fishes already died before the show and so a lot of tanks were empty.The most fishes which were still swimming were dark and very quickly breathing.The tanks were small.60 litres and very unclear.You couldn"t almost see the fishes also because there were a lot of bubbles in the tank.I come from the Netherlands.I heard of someone from my country that he had 5 show fishes in the tanks over there.First day fishes were really good.Next day he returned only one was still swimming.The other four were in the fridge!!!!
:confused::(:mad:

I was very sad coming home.When I remember this show next year what I certainly will do,I do think I stay at home and prefer watching my own fishes.

For the people I made some pictures over there.Most of them are of Stendker and Tony Tan and other sellers.These fishes were the only fishes which were good.I will show you in the photogallery here soon.I am uploading now.:o

Second Hand Pat
09-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Really sad to hear Marc. What caused the deaths. Ammonia poisoning?

Wildcaught dutchman
09-29-2012, 05:16 PM
@Second Hand Pat:Ammonia could be.But also it happened that during the night no thermostate was on so the temperature was only 23 degrees in the morning.I heard also a lot that there was not enought time for it and so there were not enought good bacteries what can end up in very high levels of nitrit.:(

Brent1972
09-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Really sad to hear Marc. What caused the deaths. Ammonia poisoning?
Here is a couple of links http://discusclubholland.nl/topic/6745-europees-kampioenschap-dortmund-drama

http://forum.bidka.org/threads/the-discus-championship-in-dortmund.24076/#post-211399

plecocicho
09-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Wow, talk about baptism of fire..Poor fish and all could be avoided if they would do just little adjustions...:(

dpete9
09-30-2012, 02:50 AM
That's really sad. I'm glad I didn't go. I had a person who was going to stop over and buy some fish from me after the show but I wasn't home. I feel bad for those people

yim11
09-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Thank you for the info and pictures. It's my understanding this was the first event. Do you know if they plan to hold this show every year?

Brent1972
09-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Thank you for the info and pictures. It's my understanding this was the first event. Do you know if they plan to hold this show every year?

Yes every year .

Fons_van_der_Hart
09-30-2012, 07:47 AM
It's indeed a sad thing that happened in Dortmund, but remember we're talking about live stock and there's always a risk. Anyone who brings his fish to a show like this must understand those risks.

This doesn't only happen in fish shows but in any kind of pet show around the world. Even at conventions people get sick and infect others (for example the break out of the Legionnaires' disease).

It has happened before (Netherlands 1992 and in Duisburg 2000) and it will probably happen once more.

It's way to early to point out any reason before proper examination of the fish. I've seen many pictures already and I know there's a biologist specialized in fish diseases walking around in Dortmund. The suggestion of an ammonia poisoning is IMO not a reason because the sickness spread around and didn't showed up in just a few tanks.

If this project turns out to be a complete failure, we're out of any real championship at all. This show could be the successor of the International Discus Championship of which the organisor Zoo Zajac decided to bring to an end. Without the initiative of Michael Schönefeld, who organised these European Discus Championship I think the only thing we will see for the upcoming years are local championships with 50~100 tanks.

Therefor I hope this show will get a proper evaluation and the organisers learn the lessons for a next eidition, which hopefully will be there in two years.

brewmaster15
10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Thats really a shame. I'm sorry to read of the shows problems and like Fons, Hope that it all works out and the next show goes better. I don't envy anyone putting together a show..theres so much work that goes into it and at times you are at the mercy of factors you just can't expect.

best regards to all involved,
al

terps
10-01-2012, 12:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJ320Ax50M

It looks like the problem was their dirty substrate in the aquariums. It polluted the water. Should have just used bare bottom aquariums with painted cardboard or black paper underneath the bottom of the tanks. You see the first fish at the 6:23 mark in the video. The dirty substrate is shown around the 6:38 mark. Hard to judge fish in that kind of environment.

dpete9
10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
That's so sad. It looks like i'm watching a video of fish on death's doorstep.
i'm trying to imagine if i had a show fish there, watching it in those conditions I think I would pull it from the tank and withdraw from the competition.